How It's Made - Lamy Fountain Pens

Dr_Jekyll

Hello!

The Goulet Pen Company recently put out a video on how Lamy pens are made on YouTube! I will leave the link here so that you can find the video. Not affiliated with The Goulet Pen Company at all, but I would just like to point out that they're doing some great work for the pen community :). Enjoy the video!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• AL01

• Dr_Jekyll

• MomoShinChan

Thank you for posting this! I love these videos and am amazed how much of the pens are made by machines!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Best 15 minutes I'll spend today. Many thanks to Brian Goulet for the video and I would encourage him to do more.

Don't care for Lamy pens but my guess is that the automated process is similar at other pens manufacturers.

The more we know the more we will enjoy our pens.

Man...

That was a great video...

But like 10 seconds were devoted to the 2000...

Man...

That was a great video...

But like 10 seconds were devoted to the 2000...

I was expecting a little more on the 2000 as well, but it was nice to see how the other pens are made :). I'm not well versed in the world of Lamy, so it was good to see the production of some of the other models.

!!!Don't waste your time at work with work - go immediately to this video and spend that time productively!!! After all you're investigating Production Efficiency.

The quality of the video detailing the quality of their production process of a variety of related products is simply first rate. It makes me want to buy another Lamy pen just cuz. And you get to witness high quality video production too. I was enthralled at every moment. Bravo Lamy! Bravo Brian Goulet!

Fascinating -- thank you for posting this, Dr. Jekyll. :thumbup: Really intriguing to see just how extensive is the LAMY manufacturing facility in Heidelberg. It would've been interesting to see more on the 2000, but I guess it's more or less "old news" since the video says the process hasn't changed much since the 1960's.

Some bits of trivia I found interesting:

• 75% of pens made by LAMY are fountain pens.
  • Ink cartridges are more popular in Europe, while bottled ink is more popular in the USA.
  • Some automated processes are operating 24/7, stopped only briefly for maintenance or materials change.
  • LAMY's pen assembly processing runs 6 days a week. I'm presuming on the 7th day when the people are resting, the machines are making small parts to replenish inventories for the assembly process.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

A question that may belong here: why no colored lamy 2000? They would sell tons!

I watched a video with Brian Goulet interviewing Lamy's Head of Product Management/R&D. In this interview, Brian asks why the Lamy 2000 has never been made with different colors besides the 2 recent options: black macrolon or all stainless steel. The reason Lamy hasn't released any other colors for the L2K is mainly due to the final buffing/smoothing process of the pens. As seen in the video above, the pen's exterior (stainless steel "section" and macrolon barrel) is buffed all together to get the seamless transition from steel to macrolon that is characteristic of the L2K. During the buffing of the exterior of the pen, small flakes from the stainless steel "section" on the Lamy 2000 will transfer into the macrolon barrel. Apparently, Lamy did attempt to make various colors of L2Ks but found that the flakes muddied the color of the barrel and distorted the appearance of the pen. The darkness of the black macrolon is relatively unaffected by the flaking (and the all-stainless steel version is unaffected as well) thus these are the pens that are getting produced.

This is written from memory but I believe it's an accurate restating of what was discussed in the video. Check out the Goulet's youtube channel to see the video; it will be the Lamy video with Marco Achenbach.

Interesting. They did produce 3 red 2Ks for a benefit auction - so there must be a way to avoid the flaking, or to clean the pen afterwards. Maybe it's to time intensive. I'm sure they'll figure it out - high pressure water wash?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 3 weeks later...

And all this time I thought little elves came in at night and made all the pens. :) Great vid!! Thanks for posting it.

Or pretty soon we'll pay. And count the cost in sorrow. Sacrifice - the future has it's

price. And today is only. Yesterday's tomorrow. Uriah Heep 1972

This is a really cool video. Made me wonder what the process is like with other manufacturers? Especially the one that is made by hand like Nakaya or Danitrio