Montblanc Le Petit Prince

horationelson

@Tom Kellie may I suggest getting the book produced by the Macmillan Collectors Library, it's very nice, compact, gold leafed edges. The Australian version has the sketches of the artist rendered in colour, but I got the Canadian one as I prefer the cover sleeve than the one made for Australia, sadly the Canadian version's drawings are rendered in black and white, I am attaching the photo for your perusal.

~ AndyLogan:

Thank you so much for the reference and the attached photos.

It's definitely interesting to me.

I don't know why I never read the book before.

Tom K.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• AndyLogan

• adim

• blottingpaperforlife

fpn_1522938433__piston.png

~ misterstevenuk:

A typo?

Well, in the Chinese version, as shown above, “活塞” = “piston”.

Would the same typo be in both languages?

I dunno...

Tom K.

La Couronne lists the Classic as cartridge/converter.

This is a very exciting line.

My wife and I read the book countless times to our son, when he was a little boy, and I loved it.

I tried to get the Exupery, but it came defective and went back - since I didn't like the design much, I

got something else in its place (but I loved the nib design). Now, the LeGrand is looking very good for my tastes.

I hope to be able to get one.

La Couronne lists the Classic as cartridge/converter.

fpn_1522940894__both.png

~ Lam1:

Thank you for the information about the La Couronne listing of the Le Petit Prince Classique model.

It made me wonder if there was indeed a mix-up.

From the Montblanc France and the Montblanc Deutschland Web sites are the descriptions of it above.

In both cases they indicate a piston filler, as “kolben” = “piston”.

If it's an error on release, it's somehow been spread through multiple languages.

Memories of the Dumas pen release come to mind...

Tom K.

~ AndyLogan:

Thank you so much for the reference and the attached photos.

It's definitely interesting to me.

I don't know why I never read the book before.

Tom K.

I confess to not having read the book until I became excited about the Saint-Exupery released pen. I have no excuse except it was a relatively newly released book when I was a child & my Parents were perhaps unaware of it. I grew up with a wide assortment of books because my Parents were avid readers, yet by the time I would have known of the book (probably when taking French in Junior High School) I would have considered it a "children's book." I remedied that & also read Saint-Exupery's wife, Consuelo's biography, THE TALE OF THE ROSE.

Tom,

That is very strange indeed. It seems unlikely that so many sources would get it wrong.

Let us hope that the La Couronne site is mistaken: a classique piston filler would be very appealing, in my opinion.

Edited by Lam1

fpn_1522940894__both.png

~ Lam1:

Thank you for the information about the La Couronne listing of the Le Petit Prince Classique model.

It made me wonder if there was indeed a mix-up.

From the Montblanc France and the Montblanc Deutschland Web sites are the descriptions of it above.

In both cases they indicate a piston filler, as “kolben” = “piston”.

If it's an error on release, it's somehow been spread through multiple languages.

Memories of the Dumas pen release come to mind...

Tom K.

The UK Montblanc site states the Classique is Piston Fill but then goes on to list the ink cartridges available for the pen. For the Le Grand it lists the ink bottles available. Montblanc are not noted for their accurate descriptions and I would think they need a new proof reader. I think it is pretty clear that the Classique is Cartridge/Converter.

Peter

Tom,

That is very strange indeed. It seems unlikely that so many sources would get it wrong.

Let us hope that the La Couronne site is mistaken: a classic piston filler would be very appealing, in my opinion.

fpn_1522944612__set.png

~ Lam1:

For what it's worth, the above set is being offered on the Montblanc China Web site.

It's the Le Petit Prince Classique, plus a bottle of the ink, plus the notebook.

There's no comparable set with cartridges.

Matlock explains above that it's probably an error by Montblanc.

I'm in no position to judge, but understand that such an error might occur in the rush to introduce such a large group of new products.

The cartridge/converter idea makes sense. If Montblanc ever looks over this forum, they'll be able to promptly scrub the errors...and reconfigure the set being offered by Montblanc China.

Opening Day jitters affect everyone, no?

Tom K.

I can confirm the pens that I inspected were cartridge.

~ James4226c:

Thank you so much for that.

Eyewitness testimony.

Montblanc's Marketing Department I.T. staff have a bit of scrubbing and replacement to do on Web sites in various languages.

Tom K.

Tom,

Yes, these things are normal. It can't be easy to coordinate all over the world.

But, one can dream, right?

@ James4226c: Thanks for the confirmation that they are CC.

fpn_1522945390__u_s_set.png

fpn_1522945790__german.png

~ The Montblanc USA Web site and the Montblanc Germany Web site both offer the same set with the Classique, the bottled ink and the notebook.

They both also list the Classique as a piston filler.

Yet the refills listed are ink cartridges.

It must've been a hurried roll-out worldwide.

Matlock is right about poor proofreading...in multiple languages, including Deutsch.

Tom K.

Tom,

Yes, these things are normal. It can't be easy to coordinate all over the world.

~ Lam1:

Apparently not even at home in Germany.

Quality Control and double-checking in the Marketing Department...

Tom K.

I pre-ordered the Petit Prince classique fountain pen two weeks ago when I saw it in a catalogue at my local dealer. I am very excited to see the blue colour in person ...

I like the book, but it's been a long time since I've read it.

I'm really glad to see that one of the pen models, the regular Le Grand, doesn't have a metal section.

I may have to try the ink, it looks to be an interesting color!

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Although I am yet to see the pen(s) in the flesh, I am relatively uninspired.

They look slightly childish with the star and fox motif. It's surprising how an elegant black/gold Meisterstuck (which wouldn't look out of place in the hands of any CEO/President etc can be transformed into something more juvenile just by adding minor details and changing the colour (even to a relatively sober blue).

I'd buy one for my son if he were a little older, but it's not for me.

And if I'm honest, it does seem quite strange for Montblanc to be running this (quite expansive) secondary Saint-Exupery collection alongside the current WE. It's a shame that they haven't done this with previous writers editions (different pens for Shakespeare's plays would have been awesome).

PS if you didn't notice the subtle fox motif, you might think that this was a European Union special edition pen (i.e. put 12 of these pens in a concentric circle, and you'd have an EU flag...)