Montblanc Le Petit Prince

horationelson

Good thing they got rid of the dreaded, nasty, tacky, unsightly, vile PIX® engraving. It just never made, any sense, at all, whatsoever. It didn't stop any of the counterfeiters from adding it. It was sickly to me. Nobody ever was quite sure what the hell it even meant. It has no place in any pen, and I hope it will never return, not even once. Thanks all.

#rant.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• AndyLogan

• adim

• blottingpaperforlife

Had anyone noticed any slight colour variations on the blue resin? Not very obvious to see, but it's like slight swirls or colour bands that are darker/lighter. Are these normal?

Edited by alwayssunnyalwaysreal

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!

Had anyone noticed any slight colour variations on the blue resin? Not very obvious to see, but it's like slight swirls or colour bands that are darker/lighter. Are these normal?

I don't know whether they are normal, but my pen seems uniform in colour, in direct sunlight or not.

Edited by adim

Mine is normal under direct sunlight, but not under strong desk light or flash. Not sure if anyone experienced the same?

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!

Received a call yesterday from FedEx saying that I had a package that is in a customs hold because the shipper missed something on the customs declaration. They read off a few line items and asked me specifically what "Robert Oster" is. It was showing up strange on their scan and they couldn't figure out what it actually is. After explaining that is a brand of ink, they said that makes sense and that I will need to fill out a "TSCA" (Toxic Substances Control) form explaining that it is an ink.

Around 12-1PM I got the form downloaded, filled it out as requested and emailed it back to the gentleman and asked if everything was OK. He confirmed that everything looked in order and would submit it back to customs to re-inspect.

Come 3:30, I get another call apologizing that he missed that I never put in a physical signature on the form, and that I need to find a printer and scanner for him to be able to submit it. This is a gentleman calling from New Jersey, so that was right at the end of his day, and he is leaving that afternoon until the following week. At around 4:10 I found a scanner/printer and get everything sent off to him. Apparently I caught him right as he was leaving (his autorespond was already kicked in) and he said NOW it is submitted to customs.

Cut to today at 1PM in Utah (only 20 hours later), and FedEx is at my door with the pen and ink!

Thank you, Mr FedEx man! You went beyond what he needed to do! I was expecting it to have missed the plane and have to sit in customs for a week or so.

Thank you, Joost Appelboom, for your fast responses and great customer service!

Here it is, similar to others posted recently, this is an Oblique Broad nib. It will be heading to work with me tomorrow to take scrum notes and help with grooming/sizing (Pets need not apply).

sOzHuG1.jpg?1

c1Nm8Du.jpg?1

Received a call yesterday from FedEx saying that I had a package that is in a customs hold because the shipper missed something on the customs declaration. They read off a few line items and asked me specifically what "Robert Oster" is. It was showing up strange on their scan and they couldn't figure out what it actually is. After explaining that is a brand of ink, they said that makes sense and that I will need to fill out a "TSCA" (Toxic Substances Control) form explaining that it is an ink.

Around 12-1PM I got the form downloaded, filled it out as requested and emailed it back to the gentleman and asked if everything was OK. He confirmed that everything looked in order and would submit it back to customs to re-inspect.

Come 3:30, I get another call apologizing that he missed that I never put in a physical signature on the form, and that I need to find a printer and scanner for him to be able to submit it. This is a gentleman calling from New Jersey, so that was right at the end of his day, and he is leaving that afternoon until the following week. At around 4:10 I found a scanner/printer and get everything sent off to him. Apparently I caught him right as he was leaving (his autorespond was already kicked in) and he said NOW it is submitted to customs.

Cut to today at 1PM in Utah (only 20 hours later), and FedEx is at my door with the pen and ink!

Thank you, Mr FedEx man! You went beyond what he needed to do! I was expecting it to have missed the plane and have to sit in customs for a week or so.

Here it is, similar to others posted recently, this is an Oblique Broad nib. It will be heading to work with me tomorrow to take scrum notes and help with grooming/sizing (Pets need not apply).

sOzHuG1.jpg?1

c1Nm8Du.jpg?1

Glad you got your pen, enjoy it to the fullest!, in this part of the globe I have yet to see it in the flesh, preordered the ink and notebook, still no clue if it will be coming by June or July. Can I ask a favour as to provide a writing sample? I am thinking of getting an OB nib but am still a bit hesitant. And sadly there are no MB brick and mortar stores here in this part of the continent.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

~ grantmm:

That's great pen and ink delivery tale.

I'm so glad that it all worked out well for you.

The generous provide a vivid sense of the pen, as well as the inks you received.

I hope that your OB nib will provide much writing pleasure.

Thank you for such a nice post.

Tom K.

Finally pulled the trigger and picked up the solitaire from a boutique today, filled with Red Fox ink and I'm loving it. :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still pretty unsure what to think about the Solitaire. I love my Unicef Solitaire and would love to have another one. The nib looks beautiful but I don't fell instantly in love with the many fox heads on the piston and on the cap and and the star on the clip... although I have the chance to get a new one for 1200€, I hestitate.

The blue Le Grand is not so special for me.

Too bad, I am looking for a new pen for my collection but can not find the right one in the current Montblanc catalog.

I prefer heavy pens and the Solitair is a relatively weighty piece. This Solitaire is a beautiful pen and excellent for lengthy writing sessions. I got mine last week. The blue color, the carved out fox heads, and the yellow star all make it quite attractive but certainly not over the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Took delivery of my Le Petit Prince Legrand last weekend. I intend to do a full picture-heavy write-up, but I'll leave some impressions here.

P6070160.jpg

I fell in love with this pen the very first time I laid eyes upon it. I always wanted a blue 146, being my preferred pen size, and it being Petit Prince themed sealed the deal.

I am a hardcore Saint-Exupéry fan since childhood, so the Petit Prince theme is very dear to me. The execution is very good as expected from a Montblanc, but what I felt more endearing were the details. The crooked, childlike yellow star on the clip, the citation on the top and the very subtle fox design on the cap are whimsical and classy takes on the author's imagery, and nothing feels excessive or gratuitous.

P6071646.jpg

P6071643.jpg

And the nib... the engraving is most lovely and suits the theme perfectly. I ordered it with a Broad nib, which for this model is a special request and requires a trip to Hamburg, it seems. The fine folks at La Couronne du Comte in the Netherlands handled the request like a breeze.

P6071615.jpg

I waited a few weeks for the pen secretly wishing for a nib geometry that reminded me of the vintage 146 stubby broads and double-broads I own. To my surprise, the grind is superb, and it has the same stubby, wet character as my vintage nibs, minus the softness. So far I've only inked the pen with the Red Fox ink, and it performs marvelously. The ink is easily my favorite ink of the year so far, ranging from orange to light reddish brown depending on nib and paper.

P6070134.jpg

Seeing the macro pics in detail I was most impressed with the nib work. Very precise and polished, and yet no sign of baby's bottoms. It glides effortlessly on the page, and I'm yet to experience a hard start. Very wet, but not unpleasantly so. Great tuning.

P6071616.jpg

I'm in love with this one. It is a pleasure to write with, and makes me want to use it all the time! For me, the Petit Prince is the nicest MB release of recent times.

Cheers to all!

P6070149.jpg

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall

~ geodesigner:

WOW!

Make that many WOWs!

What magnificent images.

Thank you so much for sharing multiple views of your Le Petit Prince 146 B nib pen.

Your lovely photo set is a highlight of 2018 in the Montblanc Forum.

Superb lighting, composition, focus and details.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

As far as creation concern MontBlanc in it's top high. :) I love this pen and the story around it . Feel like getting this book to me collection and a Photo set of the pen to go with it :lol:

Lovely photos and great share. Thanks a lot.

Lovely set of pictures Geodesigner,

Do you get any feedback when you write with that broad nib? which by the way is super gorgeous!

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

Took delivery of my Le Petit Prince Legrand last weekend. I intend to do a full picture-heavy write-up, but I'll leave some impressions here.

P6070160.jpg

I fell in love with this pen the very first time I laid eyes upon it. I always wanted a blue 146, being my preferred pen size, and it being Petit Prince themed sealed the deal.

I am a hardcore Saint-Exupéry fan since childhood, so the Petit Prince theme is very dear to me. The execution is very good as expected from a Montblanc, but what I felt more endearing were the details. The crooked, childlike yellow star on the clip, the citation on the top and the very subtle fox design on the cap are whimsical and classy takes on the author's imagery, and nothing feels excessive or gratuitous.

P6071646.jpg

P6071643.jpg

And the nib... the engraving is most lovely and suits the theme perfectly. I ordered it with a Broad nib, which for this model is a special request and requires a trip to Hamburg, it seems. The fine folks at La Couronne du Comte in the Netherlands handled the request like a breeze.

P6071615.jpg

I waited a few weeks for the pen secretly wishing for a nib geometry that reminded me of the vintage 146 stubby broads and double-broads I own. To my surprise, the grind is superb, and it has the same stubby, wet character as my vintage nibs, minus the softness. So far I've only inked the pen with the Red Fox ink, and it performs marvelously. The ink is easily my favorite ink of the year so far, ranging from orange to light reddish brown depending on nib and paper.

P6070134.jpg

Seeing the macro pics in detail I was most impressed with the nib work. Very precise and polished, and yet no sign of baby's bottoms. It glides effortlessly on the page, and I'm yet to experience a hard start. Very wet, but not unpleasantly so. Great tuning.

P6071616.jpg

I'm in love with this one. It is a pleasure to write with, and makes me want to use it all the time! For me, the Petit Prince is the nicest MB release of recent times.

Cheers to all!

P6070149.jpg

HA! You are fountainpenmemes on instagram?

Great pictures of a great pen, keep on the good work.

• 1 month later...

Those are among the best pictures I've seen of Le Petit Prince!

Many thanks for sharing.

I would love to see more pen photography like this :-)

Finally I came around to do some close-ups of my friend's pen with the yellow pouch:

43839807111_0eefe9c703_o.jpgP1390266 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

28903421487_182ee297c1_o.jpgP1390276 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

29977177898_eb2fdb791b_o.jpgP1390314 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

29977175938_b45a0b4c92_o.jpgP1390320 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

43798563822_3d42796a7b_o.jpgP1390292 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

42038456460_b410d74900_o.jpgP1390304 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

42038462110_50206292e3_o.jpgP1390299 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

Cheers

Michael

Nice couple :-)

The metal body really fits the Saint-Ex very well ... and I love the glowing star.

Still think about getting the Solitaire Prince one day ... but first I will wait for the yet to be released version of the resin prince in late summer/fall ;-)

Cheers

Michael