Don't Say That You Haven't Been Warned!

caliken

This wording is from a Medieval bookplate, written at a time when hand-produced books were very valuable.

fpn_1522920544__let_him_that_stealeth_50

Edited by kenfraser

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• carlos.q

• inkstainedruth

• migo984

Similar to the invocation that I use against all my “friends”, to whom I’ve lent books, but who have never bothered to return them,

ps. beautiful calligraphy Mr Fraser :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Similar to the invocation that I use against all my friends, to whom Ive lent books, but who have never bothered to return them,

I had a teacher who frequently said: "There are two kinds of fools in the world: those who lend books and those who return them." ;)

Ken, that quote is PRICELESS! I am so stealing it. Much more fun than the usual "Ex Libris".

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: A quick question about the spelling of one word (which I noticed when I was typing the thing into a file on my laptop): is it: "till he sinq" [i.e., with a q] "in dissolution"?

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This reminds me of a story attributed to Mark Twain.

Mr. Clemens asked a neighbor if he could borrow a book. The neighbor replied, "Of course you can, but I must ask you to read it on my premises. I have had problems with books I loan never being returned."

Some time later, the same neighbor asked Mr. Clemens if he could borrow his lawn mower. The reply is quite predictable.

David

Reminds me of those Roman curse tablets.

Solinus to the goddess Sulis Minerva. I give to your divinity and majesty [my] bathing tunic and cloak. Do not allow sleep or health to him who has done me wrong, whether man or woman or whether slave or free unless he reveals himself and brings those goods to your temple.

I had a teacher who frequently said: "There are two kinds of fools in the world: those who lend books and those who return them." ;)

It was said tongue in cheek :-) I actually buy extra copies of my favourite books to give away, with no expectation of them being returned.....

Verba volant, scripta manent

Ken, that quote is PRICELESS! I am so stealing it. Much more fun than the usual "Ex Libris".

ETA: A quick question about the spelling of one word (which I noticed when I was typing the thing into a file on my laptop): is it: "till he sinq" [i.e., with a q] "in dissolution"?

It's meant to be "sing" - possibly just my careless, misleading writing. :unsure:

Edited by kenfraser

It was said tongue in cheek :-) I actually buy extra copies of my favourite books to give away, with no expectation of them being returned.....

Shhhh... Don't tell anyone but I have done the same!

When my husband and I got married, we had to merge our respective libraries.... So we have duplicates of a number of books/series (such as The Lord of the Rings). But I think there is really no need to have three copies of Titan (since he didn't like it the first time around). And absolutely zero need for *FIVE* copies of Steele's Common LISP -- especially since so few places even *use* that computer language any more.... :huh:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Since hopefully my profession will have something to do with countless books, I need to print this masterpiece and hang it outside my office. Before I reach the office status, I'll leave it on my desk.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png