More About Lamy

SunnyShoes72

I am relatively new to fountain pens starting with a Lamy Safari and a Pilot Metropolitan. The metro was usually my go-to as it writes really smoothly and looks better. But the Safari was used for long writing sessions due to it's lightness. As I want to step up to better fountain pens, I have seen a lot of talking about the Al-start and 2000 but I am actually eyeing on the studio. Is there anything wrong with the pen causing it to be talked about so little? or is the pen just generally ok-ish and not really outstanding?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SunnyShoes72

• senzen

• ParkerDuofold

• Driften

Hi Sunny Shoes,

Within the Bauhaus design discipline; the Studio is probably it's most beautiful specimen.

I have one in brushed stainless, black, imperial blue, Reuben Ruby and British Green... and the solid gold nib version in palladium, (which gives an exceptionally pleasurable writing experience),... and I really enjoy using them.

I know a lot of people complain about them having a slippery grip, but none of their sections have given me that much grief... YMMV,... but if you have any doubts... go with the brushed stainless with the rubberized grip or the palladium with the matte, textured grip and you'll be fine. :)

But since you mention weight, I should warn you... the Studio is not a light pen... indeed, it can get a little weighty on a long writing jag... so keep that in mind, especially.

That said, I still like the pen well enough to own several. :thumbup:

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Hi Sunny Shoes,

Within the Bauhaus design discipline; the Studio is probably it's most beautiful specimen.

I have one in brushed stainless, black, imperial blue, Reuben Ruby and British Green... and the solid gold nib version in palladium, (which gives an exceptionally pleasurable writing experience),... and I really enjoy using them.

I know a lot of people complain about them having a slippery grip, but none of their sections have given me that much grief... YMMV,... but if you have any doubts... go with the brushed stainless with the rubberized grip or the palladium with the matte, textured grip and you'll be fine. :)

But since you mention weight, I should warn you... the Studio is not a light pen... indeed, it can get a little weighty on a long writing jag... so keep that in mind, especially.

- Anthony

Slippery grips are fine for me with the practice of using the slippery plastic grip of the metro. Heaviness is also not a problem as a nice hefty feeling is what I like. Looks like i'll be getting one soon :lticaptd:

If you are looking to step-up from the Metro/Safari to a better pen, I would say the Studio is a better candidate than the Al-Star. The Al-Star is really nothing more than a Safari with an aluminum body; in terms of writing experience it's not a huge upgrade. It's more of an upgrade in the aesthetics department.

Ditto on the info above.

Safari is my daily writer for 3ish decades. The reason I don't have a Studio is the slippery section, and its weight.

Both non-issues you noted.

If a step up in quality with balanced light weight is a future consideration, you might enjoy test driving a Platinum 3776.

Lamy Studio doesn't really have a yearly special edition schedule. So it may not have as much advantage as the Lamy Safari and Al-Star in this area.

Personally I like the appearance of the Lamy Studio, but the material plus the shape of the grip section make it too slippery for me. I actually enjoy the Lamy Scala a lot more. It also has a metal grip section, but the shape makes it a lot easier to grip for me.

Also the polished grip section doesn't match very well with the relatively no so polished Lamy stainless steel nibs. It makes the nib look very cheap. There's the gold nib option. However at that price range, there are a lot more attractive pen models.

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!

I find the 2000 a bit easier to write with. I met a guy who tried to sell me his 2000 in stainless because he found it too heavy to use. My 2000 is not stainless.

I find the 2000 a bit easier to write with because of the weight and the polished slippery surface of the Studio, or, more likely, because the Studio is thicker at the base and I am not used to that. They both write well. I purchased a studio because it is a great value for the money with the gold nib and I wanted to try the gold nib.

That said, both pens write very well. Both are gold nibs and both are EF.

If you lived near me in Ohio, you could try them both, but, I think that you do not.....

I'm a fan of the classic Lamys - 2000, cp1, Safari. They seem the cleanest designs that work best in

a variety of settings.

The standard nib design across different models makes me less interested in the higher end versions - the Dialog and Imporium seem somewhat underwhelming with the Z50 nib shape (even if they come with gold nibs), and not worth the price.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I had the same impression as you: much less talk about the Studio, what's wrong? Eventually I got one in Imperial Blue... Just a stunning pen, from the design and colour to the way smoother nib, compared to my 7 vistas. The section is smooth, but luckily it doesn't bother me, although I do take care of wiping it and my hands before using it. The silver version has a rubber grip. The finish does seem to be fragile, mine has a small dink where the cap meets the cap, but I also got it used. All versions look stunning to me, I find them way better looking than the Aion or 2000, Lamy should reissue them with a revised section, or even easier, sell just a revised section, it would be a nice engineering challenge: keep it shiny but make it non slippery. I've had no problems with the cap, but I don't post my pens.

fpn_1522698162__yama_guri_studio.jpg

The same impression of being unloved carries into the prices, with a little patience you can find them for a lot less than their MSRP, around $40 if you also catch a coupon on ebay. There's a version with an 14k nib, but the steel nib is amazing, if all are as smooth as mine; I like it so much I have a black version in EF on the way, which I got for $25, supposedly new.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I had the same impression as you: much less talk about the Studio, what's wrong? Eventually I got one in Imperial Blue... Just a stunning pen, from the design and colour to the way smoother nib, compared to my 7 vistas. The section is smooth, but luckily it doesn't bother me, although I do take care of wiping it and my hands before using it. The silver version has a rubber grip. The finish does seem to be fragile, mine has a small dink where the cap meets the cap, but I also got it used. All versions look stunning to me, I find them way better looking than the Aion or 2000, Lamy should reissue them with a revised section, or even easier, sell just a revised section, it would be a nice engineering challenge: keep it shiny but make it non slippery. I've had no problems with the cap, but I don't post my pens.

fpn_1522698162__yama_guri_studio.jpg

The same impression of being unloved carries into the prices, with a little patience you can find them for a lot less than their MSRP, around $40 if you also catch a coupon on ebay. There's a version with an 14k nib, but the steel nib is amazing, if all are as smooth as mine; I like it so much I have a black version in EF on the way, which I got for $25, supposedly new.

Right....the metal grip. I can feel my OCD kicking in.

But aside from the grip, how is the nib? I prefer a smooth nib with just a bit of feedback, but not much of a big deal.

Hi Sunny Shoes,

- Anthony

How heavy is the pen? around the weight of the metro or like really really heavy?

Right....the metal grip. I can feel my OCD kicking in.

But aside from the grip, how is the nib? I prefer a smooth nib with just a bit of feedback, but not much of a big deal.

Mine is just like that: smooth with a bit of feedback. With a little luck I'll get another Studio today in EF and will be able to compare.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I was worried about the metal section and most of the time it does not bother me. It actually is a nice pen and my wife likes it as well.

Since you asked about weights here are some. It actually is the heaviest pen I own, by 1gram ;)

Weights:

Lamy Studio 34g

Lamy 2000 27g

Lamy Al Star 22g

Pilot Metro 27g

Some other over 30g pens I have

Pilot Fermo 33g

Pilot VP 30g

TWSBI 700r. 32g

Montblanc 149 31g

Montblanc 146 30g

How heavy is the pen? around the weight of the metro or like really really heavy?

Hi Sunny,

I see Driften has already responded... I'll just chime in with the body weight if you use it unposted,... IIRC... its about 23g. (The Goulet's list it at 16, but I think thats too light).

I'll weigh a couple of mine when I get home later and lyk if my guess of 23g is wrong.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Sorry all my weights were total weight. I don't measure them body only, but could if I had to. In general you can do like Anthony said and get weights from Goulet.

Hi Sunny,

My suspicions were well-founded... the Goulet site is wrong with a suspected typo... it's 26 grams, (.917 oz),... NOT 16.

The Metro, (body only), is 18 grams, (.635 oz).

Hope this helps. Be well. :)

- Anthony

Just got my second Studio, in black, xtra fine... Very smooth. very sobre, modern design, for some reason to my eye pairs well with Ajisai. I mind the shiny section even less, probably since I'm used to it now.

B. Russell

thanks, I'm going to my local pen shop to check the price then comparing it to some on Ebay and Amazon.

The Studio is a wonderful pen with an understated and classic design as well as a strong construction, especially the Stainless Steel.

A great everyday pen.

I just wish Lamy would offer a limited edition every year or every two years and re-issue some of the past colors, and offer a rubber, a shiny and brushed steel section, as well as the choice of steel or gold nib, as an option, for all colors.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

thanks, I'm going to my local pen shop to check the price then comparing it to some on Ebay and Amazon.

Sometimes the personal advice is a valuable part of the final price.