Bullet Journal

theverdictis

Hey,

Just came across a cool concept on Youtube called Bullet Journal. It looks like it mashes a note taking with diary and journal all in one concept.

The guy that created the idea has linked up with Leuchtturm (these are fountain pen friendly paper right?). Anyway, just wondered if anyone is using these type of system? How do you find it? Are there any draw backs? I think it's supposed to be a basic concept then evolves into what the user needs? I'm thinking of stating one as conventional diaries are too restricted for me and this might work out better.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theverdictis

• Tasmith

• praxim

• SlowRain

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to be as simple or complicated as you want to make them. You can spend a lot of time making them look pretty, or zero time and just stick with practicality. For some people, I think they could clean their home, do the laundry, cook a meal, go shopping, or wash the windows in the time it takes to set up their weekly plan to clean their home, do the laundry, cook a meal, go shopping, and wash the windows.

As much as I like pens and paper, I only carry that with me to work, never when I'm out and about. So, for me, I need a good task app for my smartphone.

As SlowRain said, you can make it anyway you like. From plain and simple to complicated with sketches, drawings or whatever you like. And you can use a lot of notebooks, from Leuchtturm, to Rhodia, to Midori or Clairfontaine and many others. The only precondition is to find one with good quality paper. Personally I had an A4 filofax and made it my Bullet Journal. Works great with me and the paper quality is just fine for my inks and fountain pens.

I started doing it with an A5 Leuchtturm (lasted nearly 2 years - I didn't start in January, and switched before it was full). This year I switched to an A6 Hobonichi because I got tired of marking out the days, drawing calendars, etc. I wanted all that stuff pre-printed and the Hobonichi is close enough to what I want (I'd change quite a few things if I could, but it's better than drawing all that stuff myself).

The following may or may not be useful to you, but they're my conclusions:

1) I spent a lot of time learning what different people do with their bullet journals, making notes and figuring out what would be helpful for me (and since I was using an unprinted journal at first, how to design my layout). I mocked up several different page layouts on regular paper before deciding on which to use. I think this is useful if you're a bit OCD about layout / organization, or if you're unsure whether you'll do it at all. If you're like me, after a while, you'll start rethinking, or change your process (and the system is good for that) - planning only gets you so far, experience is required to figure out where the plan doesn't work.

2) If you live your life by lists, it's a good tool for managing that. (Though I don't understand why anyone would want short-term, disposable lists like grocery lists in a bullet journal, but whatever.) IMO, one of the ring-binder style books might be better if you keep long-term lists, so you can rearrange pages or transfer them to the next journal (or replace the other pages, but leave these in). Though having to re-write them is a good way to re-evaluate the list.

I could never get into these - my long-term shopping-wish lists are simply on the vendor websites. My goals are handled on what amounts to a personal scrum board.

3) If you just want a log of your day-to-day activities and/or if your life includes lots of variable appointments so that you need a planner-type thing, it's good for that. If your life is so boring and routine that you note the same 4 activities 5 days / week, you might start to wonder what you were thinking / why you bother - or you might be motivated to make your life less boring / routine...

4) I found the "habit tracker" that some people use very helpful for establishing new habits. Some habits, once established firmly, I stopped tracking (these were just "do it" style habits); others, even though firmly established, I keep tracking, though differently (these are habits which can be improved - such as an exercise routine).

5) If you mix in things like drawing, or regular prose-style journaling, or other notes along with your "log", this could be a good style as well (presumably with a larger journal that will hold the extra content).

FWIW.

I've been bullet journalling every day since January 2017 - and on & off before that.

The system has it's strengths and weaknesses, and can be as simple or complicated as you want. I think a lot of newcomers who try the system wind up burning out because they focus on the look over the functionality.

I keep my system separated into three notebooks (granted they usually don't leave the house). One is essentially just my monthly log, trackers, & daily log - with no extra fluff it will last me about 18 months. It also has a future log, although I've not once entered any events into it - so I'll be ditching that aspect going into the next notebook. The second is 'collections', anything that has a lifespan longer than a week or so, or which I want to work out in advance of the events it references (ex. travel plans). Lists with a lifespan of a day or two just get done on scrap paper & thrown away. The third is essentially just a meal & workout log. Arguably it's more of a meal log than a bullet journal - but since I use the Bujo concepts elsewhere it's just another leg of my system. It'll last me about 30 months, and has already helped me to identify certain food intolerances.

Most of the time I keep things simple - I'll use a different color pen for titles, or to fill in a table. A few things are more color coded, or decorative when the mood strikes and I have spare time. When things are really crazy it's just daily logs (i.e. to dos) and my meal log.

I use Leuchtturm notebooks, and find them adequate with finer-nibed fountain pens and readily available. In the past, I've found notebooks that I love and where availability (or price) has gone to hell the next time I try to buy them - it's not worth the experimentation, cost, etc to try and change things up - plus it gives you color options. Personally, unless you really think you need a third ribbon, the "Bullet Journal" version is unecessary; you actually get fewer useable pages for more money. Of course, if you already have a preferred brand, or notebook, just use that.

I started doing it with an A5 Leuchtturm (lasted nearly 2 years - I didn't start in January, and switched before it was full). This year I switched to an A6 Hobonichi because I got tired of marking out the days, drawing calendars, etc. I wanted all that stuff pre-printed and the Hobonichi is close enough to what I want (I'd change quite a few things if I could, but it's better than drawing all that stuff myself).

The following may or may not be useful to you, but they're my conclusions:

1) I spent a lot of time learning what different people do with their bullet journals, making notes and figuring out what would be helpful for me (and since I was using an unprinted journal at first, how to design my layout). I mocked up several different page layouts on regular paper before deciding on which to use. I think this is useful if you're a bit OCD about layout / organization, or if you're unsure whether you'll do it at all. If you're like me, after a while, you'll start rethinking, or change your process (and the system is good for that) - planning only gets you so far, experience is required to figure out where the plan doesn't work.

2) If you live your life by lists, it's a good tool for managing that. (Though I don't understand why anyone would want short-term, disposable lists like grocery lists in a bullet journal, but whatever.) IMO, one of the ring-binder style books might be better if you keep long-term lists, so you can rearrange pages or transfer them to the next journal (or replace the other pages, but leave these in). Though having to re-write them is a good way to re-evaluate the list.

I could never get into these - my long-term shopping-wish lists are simply on the vendor websites. My goals are handled on what amounts to a personal scrum board.

3) If you just want a log of your day-to-day activities and/or if your life includes lots of variable appointments so that you need a planner-type thing, it's good for that. If your life is so boring and routine that you note the same 4 activities 5 days / week, you might start to wonder what you were thinking / why you bother - or you might be motivated to make your life less boring / routine...

4) I found the "habit tracker" that some people use very helpful for establishing new habits. Some habits, once established firmly, I stopped tracking (these were just "do it" style habits); others, even though firmly established, I keep tracking, though differently (these are habits which can be improved - such as an exercise routine).

5) If you mix in things like drawing, or regular prose-style journaling, or other notes along with your "log", this could be a good style as well (presumably with a larger journal that will hold the extra content).

FWIW.

Thanks, this is really helpful information. I'll defo consider this when looking at how I would set mine up.

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

I've been bullet journalling every day since January 2017 - and on & off before that.

The system has it's strengths and weaknesses, and can be as simple or complicated as you want. I think a lot of newcomers who try the system wind up burning out because they focus on the look over the functionality.

I keep my system separated into three notebooks (granted they usually don't leave the house). One is essentially just my monthly log, trackers, & daily log - with no extra fluff it will last me about 18 months. It also has a future log, although I've not once entered any events into it - so I'll be ditching that aspect going into the next notebook. The second is 'collections', anything that has a lifespan longer than a week or so, or which I want to work out in advance of the events it references (ex. travel plans). Lists with a lifespan of a day or two just get done on scrap paper & thrown away. The third is essentially just a meal & workout log. Arguably it's more of a meal log than a bullet journal - but since I use the Bujo concepts elsewhere it's just another leg of my system. It'll last me about 30 months, and has already helped me to identify certain food intolerances.

Most of the time I keep things simple - I'll use a different color pen for titles, or to fill in a table. A few things are more color coded, or decorative when the mood strikes and I have spare time. When things are really crazy it's just daily logs (i.e. to dos) and my meal log.

I use Leuchtturm notebooks, and find them adequate with finer-nibed fountain pens and readily available. In the past, I've found notebooks that I love and where availability (or price) has gone to hell the next time I try to buy them - it's not worth the experimentation, cost, etc to try and change things up - plus it gives you color options. Personally, unless you really think you need a third ribbon, the "Bullet Journal" version is unecessary; you actually get fewer useable pages for more money. Of course, if you already have a preferred brand, or notebook, just use that.

Thanks for this. Totally agree, most of the bullet journals I see, people are spending way too much time on the artistic aspects of the journal, which to me is way too time consuming and I might as well just purchase a regular diary.

Food for thought with your helpful comments.

I'll admit that I don't understand the concept.... I keep a morning pages journal (aka "my daily core dump") and -- when I remember where it is -- a small date planner. Shopping and to do lists generally end up on scrap paper (often the back sides of stuff that's been printed off which I don't need any more) and then get recycled. And I have ink combo and ink review notebooks.

I used to have one of those electronic planners, where it -- sort of -- recognized what you wrote on the screen with a stylus. But it was a PITA to update and to remember to charge up the battery, and my first one was not the same after the screen got broken. Plus it was EXPENSIVE (way more expensive, IIRC, than the price apiece I paid for nearly of my pens) to replace.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Most of the pretty ones are intended as art practice. Lettering drill, layout drill and the like. I do that kind of art and it’s still largely not my thing. It doesn’t take a ton of time to do, but the aesthetics just aren’t mine.

Usually the stuff that would go into a bullet journal lives in my sketchbook/writing book. It’s not pretty or very organized. Groceries and gesture drawings and plot notes and comic drafts all shoved together. But I get stuff done and I can find what I need.

Basically, get a notebook you’re willing to USE. Beat it up as needed to make it work for you. If the notebook is too much work, you won’t use it. And that’s no good.

I’ve got a thing about drawing on lined paper. I don’t like it. I can but I don’t like it. Grid is worse unless I am doing charts. Dot grid still bad unless it’s very subtle. Blank is good, blank I’ll happily mess up. For writing I don’t care if it’s wonky, so blank books work better for me.

I’d say I’m not fussy about the binding but that’s a filthy lie. Spiral binding is annoying, pokey, wears out fast and is cheeeeeeeeeeeap. I like cheap. Maruman Basics only come in spiral binding, same as Mnemosyne but half the price and lovely paper. I’ve blown through one, and I’ve got another going. Staplebound is similarly cheap and I have no idea how many of them I’ve blown through. Moleskine cahiers in pocket size, story supply, fabriano eco qua, whatever’s handy and comes in blank. Classic composition books are a tiny step up from there, mostly don’t come in blank but are cheap and useful. All of the “nice” bindings I don’t use up very fast and I often get mad at the book for being too heavy.

You can fake a nice binding with a leather or other cover, and I’d suggest that if you’re trying to create a specific image. I’m just trying to make sure I do my creative stuff so I don’t worry a lot about how it looks to other people. Just bothering to write stuff down tends to look organized.

Stuff which involves precise dates or me being in a specific place at a specific time... that goes in my iPad/iPhone. It will chirp at me and remind me of the bus I need and tell me about the weather and generally serve as a prosthetic brain. There’s only a really tiny list of things allowed to make it chirp or vibrate or otherwise get my attention. All the stuff that thinks it needs my attention can just go away. Mine! You can’t have it!

I started with the Bullet Journal concept last September. I use the Rhodia Goalbook. It has a number of indexing pages at the front that can be customized for your needs, then 224 pages of dot grid paper, pocket in the back, two book marker ribbons, and an elastic closure. I find the paper to be very fp friendly.

As for the method itself: I keep it quite simple without all of the artwork - frankly, I'm not that artistic! I keep an index; I use a one page day to day list of appointments for each month, on the facing page I keep monthly tasks. I track each day's activities and some brief notes, using as much of the page as I need, then start the next day immediately below. I can then index that month's pages when I start a new month.

I've found the whole thing marginally useful. I keep a Google calendar that is available on my various devices, so the journal is more of a memory tool than it is my "brains".

I have kept a daily diary for the better part of 20 years for my work notes; meeting notes, etc., so I only keep a very few notes in the journal.

But, it has been an interesting exercise that I will continue for awhile.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Hey,

Just came across a cool concept on Youtube called Bullet Journal. It looks like it mashes a note taking with diary and journal all in one concept.

The guy that created the idea has linked up with Leuchtturm (these are fountain pen friendly paper right?). Anyway, just wondered if anyone is using these type of system? How do you find it? Are there any draw backs? I think it's supposed to be a basic concept then evolves into what the user needs? I'm thinking of stating one as conventional diaries are too restricted for me and this might work out better.

Ben

Well, I did not know it at the time, but, about thirty-five or forty years ago I began as you say "mashing" actions items, dates, journaling, notes, sketches, etc in one notebook. This began because I was given something called a standard size Memogenda (no affiliation) which I was required to use. At the time I was mostly using mechanical pencils at work, and would not expect current versions to be FP friendly. The Memogenda was positively an excellent tool to use, and was always with me because it fit easily into a manilla folder. Frequently, I would staple a sheet of lined or squared paper into it as the occasion dictated, and always tied on a piece of pad backing to stiffen it a bit. It was and is low tech, not fussy, inexpensive and highly effective.

The short story is I continue to be a fan of "mashing" actions items, dates, journaling, notes, sketches, etc in one notebook.

CFTPM

I used the Bullet Journal for a couple of years, but got tired of re-writing everything out each month. I now use a Hobonichi A5 Techo Cousin. I still use many of the Bullet Journal ideas, but do them in the Hobonichi. The best of both worlds for me.

Hi,

Yes I feel that it would get tiresome having to keep writing out the days of the month. Every Youtube vid I've watched (so far) seems to cater for the artistic side rather than what the function of a Bullet Journal is.

I started with the Bullet Journal concept last September. I use the Rhodia Goalbook. It has a number of indexing pages at the front that can be customized for your needs, then 224 pages of dot grid paper, pocket in the back, two book marker ribbons, and an elastic closure. I find the paper to be very fp friendly.

As for the method itself: I keep it quite simple without all of the artwork - frankly, I'm not that artistic! I keep an index; I use a one page day to day list of appointments for each month, on the facing page I keep monthly tasks. I track each day's activities and some brief notes, using as much of the page as I need, then start the next day immediately below. I can then index that month's pages when I start a new month.

I've found the whole thing marginally useful. I keep a Google calendar that is available on my various devices, so the journal is more of a memory tool than it is my "brains".

I have kept a daily diary for the better part of 20 years for my work notes; meeting notes, etc., so I only keep a very few notes in the journal.

But, it has been an interesting exercise that I will continue for awhile.

Thanks for this, sounds really interesting. I think I may give it ago for a couple of months in an old note book and see how it works out. What I can use and what I can keep/throw away.

The one idea I do like is the way they write the days of the month in a column, and then write the initial for what day of the week it is next to it. Then on the page beside they write any events for that month. Sort of like this for April, 2018:

1 S

2 M

3 T

4 W

5 T

6 F

7 S

8 S etc.

The one idea I do like is the way they write the days of the month in a column, and then write the initial for what day of the week it is next to it. Then on the page beside they write any events for that month. Sort of like this for April, 2018:

1 S

2 M

3 T

4 W

5 T

6 F

7 S

8 S etc.

Yes, I like the look of it, just I'm unsure if I'd be able to keep that up for a whole year. Maybe I should have a go in a scrap book for April and see how I go.

Search around these parts. You will find a few discussions on them.

Hi, Can you point me in the right direction as when I use the search bar no other thread other than this one comes up? Are they under a different name?

Yes, I like the look of it, just I'm unsure if I'd be able to keep that up for a whole year. Maybe I should have a go in a scrap book for April and see how I go.

The first page of every month in the Hobonichi is a "Remember This" page. Has about 16 lines, but it would be easy enough to modify to the Bullet Journal month in a column page.

Hobonichi website: https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/2018/pc/all_about/cousin/

Hi, Can you point me in the right direction as when I use the search bar no other thread other than this one comes up? Are they under a different name?

They are around, the problem being more that search on this site is currently a little bit broken. These options are in descending order of effectiveness. The easiest way to find anything here is to use Google, for example:

bullet journal site:fountainpennetwork.com/

Another option is to click on the Advanced Settings wheel to the right of the search bar, enter "bullet journal" there ("all words" should be the default search already) then you will get a list ordered by recency, or you can make other refinements.

If you simply enter the text in the search bar while in a thread, for example this one, then it can go unnoticed that the search defaults to this thread, not to forums in general, so nothing new comes up.

I use the bullet journal concept of encoding key elements but not for a diary. Before retirement a decade ago I used electronic gizmos extensively, with a Dayrunner for notes and projects rather than as a diary. Now, I use encoding in my workshop notebooks or other planning, drawing also on an old hierarchic paradigm for discussion: Issue, Position, Argument, or in this case, Issue, Position (or hypothesis), Action (do or test) with further symbols for sequences, causality, external or unplanned events (e.g. I broked it :rolleyes: :)), and indirectly associated questions. About the only matched symbol I use is "." for action, others being different marks or used differently.

So, I have little direct contribution to make to your potential use of bullet journalling for a diary. However, there are other areas where point encoding or page organisation techniques, or simply journal indexing, can be useful.

By the way, if you have once written down your system, or have adapted the original system, you do not need Leuchtturm's Bullet Journal. It is a plain journal with pages of BJ stuff added. I use Leuchtturm A5 quite a bit for general journalling or around pens, a few Apica for the workshop.

X