Nice Little Ringtop Set

Univer

Hi All,

I thought I'd share a couple of photos of a recently acquired Wahl pen and pencil set. The pen is a model 6412W, and the pencil a model 3012W.

The top photo shows the set inside the case (which appears again at the bottom left, complete with the double-check seal. As I hope you can tell, there's absolutely no discoloration or darkening of the jade green Pyralin; any color variation you detect is the natural variation of the marbled plastic.

The second photo shows a closer-in view of the pen uncapped. The third photo is a close-up of the barrel threads, section and nib. As you can see, the threads are completely clean and free of ink residue. The nib is a Gold Seal "Flexible," smooth on paper, with full iridium.

The lower-right photo depicts the original protective "false" caps - thank you, Syd, for cluing me in about those in an earlier thread! - with the original prices shown: $5.00 for the pen, $2.50 for the pencil.

I think this is among the nicer sets I've seen, irrespective of make. The color is obviously spectacular; there's no brassing anywhere; and the original box and false price-caps are very nice extras. While the nib appears to have been dipped, the perfect barrel threads - in conjunction with the other details - suggest to me that the pen may not actually have been inked.

This is one of the few celluloid sets I've seen, from any maker, in which the pen actually has better color than the pencil.

Interestingly, the pen came to me without a sac installed. I wonder when the sac was removed? If that event took place shortly after the pen was purchased, that might account for the perfect color.

Anyway - just a couple of old ringtops, but I thought their condition might warrant a post.

Cheers,

Jon

post-2029-1181341358_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Univer

• jbb

• Leigh R

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:o .....

Wow! Those are georgous! What great color and condition! Congrats!!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Lovely set, Jon! A really nice example in great shape and the original case is in great shape, too!

Re: the lack of a sac....I wonder if the previous owner removed it, knowing that a rubber sac might contribute to the darkening of the celluloid over time? I have a nice green Sheaffer flat top that is a lovely bright green and I've installed a silicone sac in it, to help prevent discoloration....

Jon,

That is an exceptional set! I seem to be collecting medium to larger sized pens these days but if I were to find a set like that I would certainly make an exception! ;)

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words. It's really nice to see the jade in factory-fresh condition.

Maja, I think it's entirely possible that an earlier owner did remove the sac specifically to preserve the color. Do you reckon the original owner did so? I would love to learn more about the state of knowledge, among ordinary pen owners, about the instability of the early plastics. For example, I'm aware of early (c. 1920s) Sheaffer communications to dealers that reference the fact that discolored jade Radite pens could not be cleaned or otherwise restored. So the problems manifested themselves early on, and the knowledge of the problems had some currency.

If this pen had pristine color, but had a sac in it and showed evidence of use, I would simply chalk it up to the luck of the draw. As we know, it's not the case that each and every early celluloid pen discolored; I have several Sheaffer jades that are absolutely perfect, notwithstanding the fact that they were obviously well used. The absence of a sac here, together with the other indications that the pen wasn't inked, makes me wonder if the very first owner had some awareness of the discoloration issue, and made a conscious decision to keep the pen perfect. The presence of the false caps might lend some weight to that inference.

Anyway - I feel privileged to own this set. And no, I don't plan to put a sac in it.

Cheers,

Jon