Footnotes In Journals

CraigR

I have a question (raising hand and trying to get the group's attention). In your daily routine of journal keeping, do you make a notation or footnote as to what pen and ink you used to make entries? In browsing through an older journal, I noticed an entry that had a color, tone, and feel to it that I really liked. I wish I had made a note on that entry as to what I wrote it with. So, today, I have started to make a note/footnote to go along with my entries that includes the pen and ink info. Anyone have input to this idea?

Maybe that will complicate my journals, but I think it will be fun to keep track.

Edited by CraigR

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• inkstainedruth

• Princeps Anglorum

• LizEF

Thus far I have always used the same pen and ink when writing my daily journal.

I don't really journal at the moment, but I take notes which I file away for later reference, and I have taken to always noting the pen and ink at the start (because, like you, I once went back and wanted to know the info but it wasn't there, so I resolved to prevent this problem in the future).

Yes I have this habit ...

what I do is

I record the footnote vertically, nearest along the spine/binding edge of that page.

It occupies space that is least used. and its at a location where you can quickly see that info, not elsewhere on the page requiring you to hunt for it.

2 reasons for recording :

• what Ink was used (at times, certain inks seem look better on different kinds of paper) . I sometimes differentiate entries by using different ink colours

• what pen was used (at times I notice my handwriting seems to look better with a particular pen )

unsure if this info is of any use to you at all.

:D

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Yes I have this habit ...

what I do is

I record the footnote vertically, nearest along the spine/binding edge of that page.

It occupies space that is least used. and its at a location where you can quickly see that info, not elsewhere on the page requiring you to hunt for it.

2 reasons for recording :

• what Ink was used (at times, certain inks seem look better on different kinds of paper) . I sometimes differentiate entries by using different ink colours

• what pen was used (at times I notice my handwriting seems to look better with a particular pen )

unsure if this info is of any use to you at all.

:D

Yes, it is very useful. I hadn't considered using a vertical note in the margin. My handwriting also varies with pen and ink. Thanks

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I am very inconsistent with noting what pen/nib/ink I use in my journals. It's not really relevant to the journal entries as a rule. However, now and then, I think about making a note and, when I do, I usually just bracket [ * ] a note at the end of the day, or the writing session.

To my thinking [absolutely not a rule offered for everyone to follow], a footnote is a note at the bottom of the page; but I like TMLee's use of a vertical note in the margin, call it what you will. What I think of as a footnote is not easily done in a handwritten journal, at least not neatly.

When I was in school I used either Pelikan 4001 Black or Blue-Black, so of course I didn't do it.

But I've started buying bottled ink last year and it's been my habit to make a footnote under every entry.

Since my past two journals have had blank pages, I write the footnote horizontally, a couple of centimeters away from the last line of the entry. Pen on one line, ink on the second line, and finally I let the nib run on the paper a bit to make a small swatch of ink.

As with school work, I often remember words and sentences by their position on a page or by their color or font, so in case I need to remember something I wrote in my journal, I never write two close entries with the same color, or even similar colors.

I also include the day of the week and the weather near the date. I'm thinking about introducing the time of day again.

What do you all write near the date?

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I have a question (raising hand and trying to get the group's attention). In your daily routine of journal keeping, do you make a notation or footnote as to what pen and ink you used to make entries? In browsing through an older journal, I noticed an entry that had a color, tone, and feel to it that I really liked. I wish I had made a note on that entry as to what I wrote it with. So, today, I have started to make a note/footnote to go along with my entries that includes the pen and ink info. Anyone have input to this idea?

Maybe that will complicate my journals, but I think it will be fun to keep track.

I start each entry with the date, the ink, and the pen/nib. So, yes. :)

And I started doing this for just the reason you mentioned.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I don't in my morning pages journal; but I have notebooks for writing (especially poetry) and in those I do keep track of the date and what pen/ink combo I've used.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have done it that way, but it's been a while since I did regular entries, so I don't recall placement details.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I thought I was the only one who does that! Though, instead of at the end of the entry-I place mine at the top of the page, along with the date, when journaling!

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

I didn't always but I do now.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I started keeping track of ink and usually pen in most of my notebooks a few years ago. I use different kinds of notes in different books.

In my journal, I record each fill of a pen, with that pen and ink, as part of that day's entry, usually in an upright print script (different from the business hand or italic in which the rest of the entry is made) and a little larger than the rest of the entry, making it easy to spot. That way if I see a combo later and want to know what it is, it's easy to skim back to its first appearance and find out.

In my sermon notebook, I record the pen and ink in the "ditch" of the binding with pencil (I almost always have a pencil with me), making it unobtrusive on the page but easy to find. In my other note-taking notebooks, I also use a pencil, but at the bottom of the page; I don't always record the pen, but I do try to at least write down what ink I was using.

In some of my "scribbling" notebooks, I don't bother to write down the pen and ink - but since I almost always date even my scribbles, I can go back to my journal and figure out without much difficulty which pens and inks I was using that day.

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

I haven't, since I also have a "Currently Inked" type of A6 notebook. But I might start, especially when I ink up a new pen. Usually I just comment to myself if I have strong opinions on the ink one way or the other.

I'll come up with something eventually.

In retrospect, when re-reading this thread just now, I think there's a couple there's a couple of reasons why I don't list the inks for my journal (while I do for other writing).

One is that when I started keeping the morning pages journal, I only used one pen for it (and didn't use fountain pens for anything else), and even after a couple of iterations of pens, I was still mostly just using Quink Permanent Blue cartridges. Nowadays, when I do use different pens/inks every day, I've gotten out of the habit. Plus, there are days where I may be finishing up fills in pens and may not be ABLE to make a notation -- especially when I'm not 100% awake, which is the case at times. :blush: Plus, the whole point of a morning pages journal is sort of stream of consciousness writing -- whatever comes into my brain on any given morning goes onto the page.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

I use one pen and ink for about a week, depending on the pen. The first day I record the combination on the last line of the entry, and I also record it on the last page of the journal along with the start date so I can see at a glance all the pen-ink combinations contained in that journal. Nuts, right?

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead