Romus Majestic Piston Filler

old4570

Romus Majestic Piston filler / Parker Quink Black

1) I like the piston filler - reliable and solid - and not easy to accidentally activate

2) Small but nice ( The pen )

3) Scratchy writer

4) Perhaps on the dry side

5) Burps even after being warmed ( Is it a air pocket ? )

6) Bone dry after burping - difficult to restart ink flow

If you have to add it to your piston filler collection ( Go for it ) , it does feel like a decent build . How ever if your looking for a carry pen ? , then you may wish to look else where .

I am at a loss to explain the burping ( limited knowledge ) ...

But the pen burps after being warmed - and is bone dry after burping - which leads me to believe that a air bubble is forming in the feed ? interrupting the flow of ink .. Stopping it at one end and allowing the ink to flow out the other end ( NIB ) - BURP !

Edited by old4570

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• old4570

• Rotring600user

Interesting, it looks exactly like the Click Neo Tulip Colorful Transparent (Yellow) I got from ASAPens.

The nib looks the same but the feed is different. I was using Bril Turquoise Blue with mine and didn't have any burping issues, though the nib at times slid partially out of the pen requiring me to push it back in. I probably need to heatset it.

The nib wrote smooth with a touch of feedback if I recall correctly.

Unrelated note about Bril Turquoise Blue - it's turquoise but it's not as good as the other turquoises I've tried (Diamine Turquoise, Noodler's Azure Main)

Thanks, (or) Hope that helped,

Rotring600user

This one is scratch - Very .

And if you need to apply pressure for any reason then it almost feels like the nib is ripping into the paper ..

At the moment I am trying to cure the Burping and running dry issue ..

I did try some HERO 233 Blue ( Flows better than the Parker )

Where are we ?

Pen is a PITA .

Problems = Feed / burping / scratchy and tears into paper with added pressure .

Feed / ( Ink is HERO 233 blue )

I tried the hot water but not before adding some extra cuts ( feed cuts ) and cross cuts .

No more burping , but still ran dry ...

I took out the feed and cut the main feed channel deeper as well added more cross cuts

Now the pen no longer dried out , no burps so far . Still it runs on the dry side and really is scratchy on paper ..

I only have 1200 wet and dry ( Finest ) so did a little gentle polishing ,,,

Much better ..

Still a little scratchy but not paper tearing bad .. Need a finer wet and dry to polish with ..

So much better now .

IGP7249.jpg

IGP7252.jpg

So the top half of this sheet is where I did the hot water fit to the NIB / Feed

Pen still ran dry and refused to start flowing ink ..

Bottom half is where I did some feed mods ..

Ink now flowed and did not stop ..

IGP7253.jpg

Pen / NIB ran so rough I decided to polish with what I had ( 1200 ) and WOW ...

Check out the improvement .

Only did a little bit , but def want some much finer material to polish with in the future ..

On the second last line of ABC you can see where with the Q - the nib got caught on the paper .. ( Still has rough spots needing polishing out )

Edited by old4570

IGP7271.jpg

Ok 24 Hours on ...

Pen was resting on its side ( Horizontal ) for 24 hours ..

No leaks ..

Pen was dry and some what hard to start ..

I got myself some 2000 grit wet and dry ..

And tried to polish out the rough spots ...

Pen writes a little wetter now and much smoother .

Could probably go 4000 / 5000 grit now ..

Pen writes inverted - Scratchy as all heck ..

When trying to get the pen to start there was no tendency to throw ink ( Splash ink out the nib )

Pen is a hell of a lot better now ..

Edited by old4570

I really like the piston on this pen ( It rules ) ...

The NIB / FEED bit the big one ..

I will try and acquire a 2nd pen and maybe carefully document some FEED MODS ..

Really hacked into this one without a clear plan . ( Understanding )

Hmmm , I wonder if a Chinese NIB / FEED would fit ? ( A nice medium ) For that butter smooth feedback . (?)

Would be nice to ease the painful start .. ( More feed mods / better feed mods )

Another 24 hours :

Pen was stored horizontally and once again was a very difficult starter .

Once running it seemed to run fine , no tendency to burp so far .

Will now store the pen NIB down @ about 30Deg from horizontal to see if it dries out .

After that I may try fully vertical . ( Nib Down )

IGP7282.jpg

Romus Majestic resting slightly NIB down ...

Started fine but almost right away began to run dry ..

Just when I thought the pen would dry up the ink began to flow and the pen ran fine ...

No leaks detected with the pen stored for 24 hours with the nib slightly down ..

Now We test vertical storage NIB down .. ( Straight up and down )

This might be the final post in regard to this pen :

Pen was stored for 24 hours Vertical - Nib Down .

No leaks - drips or anything else out of the ordinary ..

Pen wrote from the first stroke ..

All the tweaks have had some effect , no burping since the feed mods .

Writes a little wet now - is relatively smooth ..

Unfortunately still has a tendency to dry out when stored horizontally , obviously would dry out of stored vertical ( NIB up )

I will try to acquire a second pen , and then document the feed mods carefully with some more thought and consideration given to burping and drying out ( ink not flowing )