The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Difficulty Attaching Nib Section To Body (Threading Problem?)

threading help repair vintage gold starry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 19:18

I am trying to repair a small, button-fill, Gold Starry pen. I have removed the fragments of the old sac. However, I have run it to an issue with the barrel and/or nib-section threading. It was incredibly difficult to separate these intially but trying to screw them back together is even harder. It just gets stuck at the beginning or partway through and won't budge any further. I have tried to clean it but I don't know if there is much to clean. It kind feels like the threading isn't aligned correctly? But I'm not sure. Any suggestions or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Images

• 20180403_000938_resized.jpg
  • 20180403_001005_resized.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 20:02

The barrel threads do look a little rough, I'd get them as clean as possible and then dab a little pure silicone lube on the threads, warm both the section and barrel gently and try again.  When I'm putting old Duofolds or other threaded section pens back together, my little tub of silicone is always close-by. 

Lots of repair suppliers have it, I bought mine from a scuba supply store though.  You are not trying to seal anything, just make it more "slideable".  There is a more complicated solution involving "chasing" the thread with some kind of tool but that's way above my pay-scale.

#3 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 20:21

Any sporting goods store has what's called "reel butter" for lubricating fishing reels. It's a silicone compound and only costs a couple of bucks per tube. I've used it for years with no problems.
The mild heat suggestion is a good one as well.

#4 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 20:33

The barrel threads do look a little rough, I'd get them as clean as possible and then dab a little pure silicone lube on the threads, warm both the section and barrel gently and try again.  When I'm putting old Duofolds or other threaded section pens back together, my little tub of silicone is always close-by. 

Lots of repair suppliers have it, I bought mine from a scuba supply store though.  You are not trying to seal anything, just make it more "slideable".  There is a more complicated solution involving "chasing" the thread with some kind of tool but that's way above my pay-scale.

Thanks for the advice! I just ordered some. Hopefully, it'll help!

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,756 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 20:43

It looks like the barrel threads need a bit more cleaning, and some lubrication on there might make a big difference, so the silicone is a good idea.

I would tend to only warm up the barrel and not the section, as you want the barrel to warm up enough to get very slightly bigger. So warming up the section as well might sort of defeat the object as they will both get very slightly bigger. You want the barrel slightly bigger and the section as small as possible. So after adding the silicone to the barrel threads just very carefully warm up the bottom end so that the section screws in.

flying-letter-exc.png

#6 drrusso

drrusso

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:54

Hello!

Seems, silicone grease should do the job. Also, post pictures after getting the job done.

Best regards,

Arvind.

Best regards, Arvind.

#7 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 17:01

It looks like the barrel threads need a bit more cleaning, and some lubrication on there might make a big difference, so the silicone is a good idea.

I would tend to only warm up the barrel and not the section, as you want the barrel to warm up enough to get very slightly bigger. So warming up the section as well might sort of defeat the object as they will both get very slightly bigger. You want the barrel slightly bigger and the section as small as possible. So after adding the silicone to the barrel threads just very carefully warm up the bottom end so that the section screws in.

I agree with Chrissy, this will need barrel heat. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it's probable that the celluloid barrel has changed shape slightly over time, while the BHR-looking section will not have. You can just apply low & slow heat as you screw them together, you'll feel the resistance free off when it's up to temp - the heat won't really do too much to the BHR, it's the celluloid that's much more unstable.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#8 siamackz

siamackz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 16:24

I experienced this with Pens that were shellacked together. The remnants of shellac on the barrel threads needs to be cleaned. I place the threads in water for some time, then I take a pick and chase the threads to remove shellac. Then place in water again, repeat after some time, etc. once its properly clean, I use silicone grease. It might be dangerous to use grease without first cleaning the threads and the barrel might crack if the threads are not clean and you manage to get the section to slip in anyway (with grease or whatever).

#9 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 21:20

I experienced this with Pens that were shellacked together. The remnants of shellac on the barrel threads needs to be cleaned. I place the threads in water for some time, then I take a pick and chase the threads to remove shellac. Then place in water again, repeat after some time, etc. once its properly clean, I use silicone grease. It might be dangerous to use grease without first cleaning the threads and the barrel might crack if the threads are not clean and you manage to get the section to slip in anyway (with grease or whatever).

I might try this since the silicon grease didn't make it much better even when combined with heat.

Edited by em_the_pen, 14 April 2018 - 21:21.

#10 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 22:49

You know what I would do?  I would sand the section threads down just a little bit.  Just barely.  You want it to screw together easily enough that you won't split the barrel.  That material is thin with threads on both sides.  Just sand it a little bit.  This will give the threads more room to mate together.  Celluloid can shrink with time and putting it back together, even with a lube (silicone grease isn't exactly a lube though) you could possibly split the barrel.  Good luck.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#11 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 22:51

You know what I would do?  I would sand the section threads down just a little bit.  Just barely.  You want it to screw together easily enough that you won't split the barrel.  That material is thin with threads on both sides.  Just sand it a little bit.  This will give the threads more room to mate together.  Celluloid can shrink with time and putting it back together, even with a lube (silicone grease isn't exactly a lube though) you could possibly split the barrel.  Good luck.

Thanks! This sounds like a good idea too.

#12 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,193 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 14:30

In general it you used heat to remove the section you should use heat to put it back.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: threading, help, repair, vintage, gold starry

Sponsored Content

|