Difficulty Attaching Nib Section To Body (Threading Problem?)

em_the_pen

I am trying to repair a small, button-fill, Gold Starry pen. I have removed the fragments of the old sac. However, I have run it to an issue with the barrel and/or nib-section threading. It was incredibly difficult to separate these intially but trying to screw them back together is even harder. It just gets stuck at the beginning or partway through and won't budge any further. I have tried to clean it but I don't know if there is much to clean. It kind feels like the threading isn't aligned correctly? But I'm not sure. Any suggestions or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you!

post-142229-0-57411500-1522782929_thumb.jpg

post-142229-0-57342700-1522782941_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• em_the_pen

• pen lady

• Chrissy

• Zookie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The barrel threads do look a little rough, I'd get them as clean as possible and then dab a little pure silicone lube on the threads, warm both the section and barrel gently and try again. When I'm putting old Duofolds or other threaded section pens back together, my little tub of silicone is always close-by.

Lots of repair suppliers have it, I bought mine from a scuba supply store though. You are not trying to seal anything, just make it more "slideable". There is a more complicated solution involving "chasing" the thread with some kind of tool but that's way above my pay-scale.

Any sporting goods store has what's called "reel butter" for lubricating fishing reels. It's a silicone compound and only costs a couple of bucks per tube. I've used it for years with no problems.

The mild heat suggestion is a good one as well.

The barrel threads do look a little rough, I'd get them as clean as possible and then dab a little pure silicone lube on the threads, warm both the section and barrel gently and try again. When I'm putting old Duofolds or other threaded section pens back together, my little tub of silicone is always close-by.

Lots of repair suppliers have it, I bought mine from a scuba supply store though. You are not trying to seal anything, just make it more "slideable". There is a more complicated solution involving "chasing" the thread with some kind of tool but that's way above my pay-scale.

Thanks for the advice! I just ordered some. Hopefully, it'll help!

It looks like the barrel threads need a bit more cleaning, and some lubrication on there might make a big difference, so the silicone is a good idea.

I would tend to only warm up the barrel and not the section, as you want the barrel to warm up enough to get very slightly bigger. So warming up the section as well might sort of defeat the object as they will both get very slightly bigger. You want the barrel slightly bigger and the section as small as possible. So after adding the silicone to the barrel threads just very carefully warm up the bottom end so that the section screws in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Seems, silicone grease should do the job. Also, post pictures after getting the job done.

Best regards,

Arvind.

Best regards,

Arvind.

It looks like the barrel threads need a bit more cleaning, and some lubrication on there might make a big difference, so the silicone is a good idea.

I would tend to only warm up the barrel and not the section, as you want the barrel to warm up enough to get very slightly bigger. So warming up the section as well might sort of defeat the object as they will both get very slightly bigger. You want the barrel slightly bigger and the section as small as possible. So after adding the silicone to the barrel threads just very carefully warm up the bottom end so that the section screws in.

I agree with Chrissy, this will need barrel heat. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it's probable that the celluloid barrel has changed shape slightly over time, while the BHR-looking section will not have. You can just apply low & slow heat as you screw them together, you'll feel the resistance free off when it's up to temp - the heat won't really do too much to the BHR, it's the celluloid that's much more unstable.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I experienced this with Pens that were shellacked together. The remnants of shellac on the barrel threads needs to be cleaned. I place the threads in water for some time, then I take a pick and chase the threads to remove shellac. Then place in water again, repeat after some time, etc. once its properly clean, I use silicone grease. It might be dangerous to use grease without first cleaning the threads and the barrel might crack if the threads are not clean and you manage to get the section to slip in anyway (with grease or whatever).

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I experienced this with Pens that were shellacked together. The remnants of shellac on the barrel threads needs to be cleaned. I place the threads in water for some time, then I take a pick and chase the threads to remove shellac. Then place in water again, repeat after some time, etc. once its properly clean, I use silicone grease. It might be dangerous to use grease without first cleaning the threads and the barrel might crack if the threads are not clean and you manage to get the section to slip in anyway (with grease or whatever).

I might try this since the silicon grease didn't make it much better even when combined with heat.

Edited by em_the_pen

You know what I would do? I would sand the section threads down just a little bit. Just barely. You want it to screw together easily enough that you won't split the barrel. That material is thin with threads on both sides. Just sand it a little bit. This will give the threads more room to mate together. Celluloid can shrink with time and putting it back together, even with a lube (silicone grease isn't exactly a lube though) you could possibly split the barrel. Good luck.

You know what I would do? I would sand the section threads down just a little bit. Just barely. You want it to screw together easily enough that you won't split the barrel. That material is thin with threads on both sides. Just sand it a little bit. This will give the threads more room to mate together. Celluloid can shrink with time and putting it back together, even with a lube (silicone grease isn't exactly a lube though) you could possibly split the barrel. Good luck.

Thanks! This sounds like a good idea too.

In general it you used heat to remove the section you should use heat to put it back.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.