Epoxy Gluing A Nib To The Ceiling Of Its Housing ?

fabian3194

Hi,

My nib slips a micro amount side-to-side because the nib/feed unit is no longer friction tight in the housing, it is loose like a wiggly tooth. I've been nib/feed swapping into this plastic housing so much that the housing has lost its friction tightness.

Would anyone recommend using two part epoxy to stick the steel nib to the ceiling of its acrylic nib housing ? The nib/feed housing is a JoWo screw in type.

I'd like to hear about how others have dealt with this as I'm sure this is something common and I'm not the only one.

NB. As a last resort I know I can buy a nib unit but they're about $25 USD plus $13 USD postage plus the AUD is three quarters of a USD.

Thanks,

fabian3194

Edited by fabian3194

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• jekostas

• JonSzanto

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is loose and you simply manage to hold the nib in one spot, you are more than likely going to have flow issues as the feed is not going to properly press against the bottom of the nib, since it, too, is loose. I'd never try to use an epoxy for anything like this. At most, if I really felt like I has to save this messed-up piece, would be to brush a very thin layer of shellac on the entire inside of the feed housing, so the entire inner diameter is reduced (i.e. not just the area holding the nib). The shellac could be removed if it didn't work out (reversible modifications are always better) and it might make the fit good enough. It will NOT be suitable for continued nib swapping and monkeying around.

You might just take this as a lesson about not doing so much nib swapping, get a new unit with a nib that you like, and continue writing.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Hi,

My nib slips a micro amount side-to-side because the nib/feed unit is no longer friction tight in the housing, it is loose like a wiggly tooth. I've been nib/feed swapping into this plastic housing so much that the housing has lost its friction tightness.

Would anyone recommend using two part epoxy to stick the steel nib to the ceiling of its acrylic nib housing ? The nib/feed housing is a JoWo screw in type.

Absolutely not. I can't imagine that it would ever work. Your nib would be fixed in one position and your feed would be loose somewhere below it. :yikes:

I'm not even sure that buying a new nib & feed would help as it might be the plastic housing that has worn. :unsure:

Don't swap your friction fit nibs and feeds so much. Sadly this will always be the result. :(

Hi,

I'd like to hear about how others have dealt with this as I'm sure this is something common and I'm not the only one.

NB. As a last resort I know I can buy a nib unit but they're about $25 USD plus $13 USD postage plus the AUD is three quarters of a USD.

Thanks,

fabian3194

Perhaps you can find someone with a spare JoWo housing? I don't have any at present.

Edited by kd3

Add lightness and simplicate.

Put a small piece of scotch tape on the back of the nib.

why??

I really cannot understand why botch jobs are being suggested here.

We are talking about a relatively cheap item, given a pen will always be chosen based upon the depth of the user's pockets. It then becomes a valued tool. So either buy a replacement nib unit or a replacement pen.

If this was your car, you would not be considering supergluing some rag over the brake cylinder because it does not perform effectively.

If it is loose and you simply manage to hold the nib in one spot, you are more than likely going to have flow issues as the feed is not going to properly press against the bottom of the nib, since it, too, is loose. I'd never try to use an epoxy for anything like this. At most, if I really felt like I has to save this messed-up piece, would be to brush a very thin layer of shellac on the entire inside of the feed housing, so the entire inner diameter is reduced (i.e. not just the area holding the nib). The shellac could be removed if it didn't work out (reversible modifications are always better) and it might make the fit good enough. It will NOT be suitable for continued nib swapping and monkeying around.

You might just take this as a lesson about not doing so much nib swapping, get a new unit with a nib that you like, and continue writing.

+1 to the above!

Regards,

Eachan

why??

We are talking about a relatively cheap item, given a pen will always be chosen based upon the depth of the user's pockets. It then becomes a valued tool. So either buy a replacement nib unit or a replacement pen.

If this was your car, you would not be considering supergluing some rag over the brake cylinder because it does not perform effectively.

+1 for this. :)

why??

Had you taken the time to read the original post you would know that the cost of doing it properly is a financial stretch for the OP. Hence his search for a workaround. What is relatively cheap for you is not a given for others. Being unkind is not particularly helpful.

Please explain how suggesting that he find a new housing is a "botch job."

Add lightness and simplicate.

Had you taken the time to read the original post you would know that the cost of doing it properly is a financial stretch for the OP. Hence his search for a workaround. What is relatively cheap for you is not a given for others. Being unkind is not particularly helpful.

Please explain how suggesting that he find a new housing is a "botch job."

If you had read the whole thread you would know that northlodge's reply was not referring to your suggestion about a new housing, but to the "botch job" of putting a small piece of Scotch tape on the back of the nib. i.e Read post #6.

My experience, having seen a lot of expedient repairs (which epoxy and tape are) is that they rarely work or work for any length of time, and often end up making the problem worse and more difficult and therefore more expensive to repair properly.

I think that the suggestion that he use a piece of tape is a botch job referred to. Adhesive tape will fail, using epoxy will permanently attach the nib to the collar, and could very well make it onto and into the feed, so no, I would not use epoxy. Nibs really shouldn't be routinely removed for cleaning or swapping nibs. The manufacturers thread the collars so that you can change nibs without disassembling the nib unit. Every time you pull the nib and feed things get a smidge looser, until you reach the point where the fit is no longer snug, so the nib shifts.

If the shift is only a small amount, I would live with it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Christ, I'm not advocating taping a nib in to place. Putting a small piece of tape on the back of the nib increases the thickness, acting as a shim. The pressure of the nib against the housing will keep it in place and it's completely non-destructive as well as reversible.

Edited by jekostas

Christ, I'm not advocating taping a nib in to place. Putting a small piece of tape on the back of the nib increases the thickness, acting as a shim. The pressure of the nib against the housing will keep it in place and it's completely non-destructive as well as reversible.

It isn't non-destructive with the increased mass causes the section to become mishaped. Many plastics, once deformed, won't return to shape. You also run the chance of ink leaks when trying to 'shim up' the inner diameter by placing the tape there.

Bottom line: kludges and McGyvers rarely make for good, solid, long-term answers to a problem like this. The harm isn't just to the pen, but in the information that gets posted and people think it is a great solution when it isn't. Just ask Ron about all the pens that come in that have the remnants of Teflon tape in all kinds of places. We're just trying to offer solutions that aren't just good in this instnace but in most instances.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The nib unit is already deformed somewhat and needs to be replaced, otherwise the nib wouldn't be shifting. This will at least give them a working pen until they can buy a new nib unit.

The nib unit is already deformed somewhat and needs to be replaced, otherwise the nib wouldn't be shifting. This will at least give them a working pen until they can buy a new nib unit.

Yes, that's entirely possible.

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

It's even possible that a piece of tape on the nib, to act as a shim, doesn't just deform the housing, it might even crack it when the feed is pushed in. :huh: