Has Anyone Tried Koh-I-Noor Inks?

Erggg

I have been looking for a good blue ink and someone informed me of the Koh-I-Noor document-blue ink. While I found a review of the blue ink, I cannot seem to find a comprehensive review of the document-blue color.

I want to know the follow:

-Is the ink fountain pen friendly?

-How well behaved is it on cheap paper?

-How easy is this ink to clean out of a pen?

-How water proof is the ink?

-Can someone provide an image of the ink color (preferably with other inks as a comparison)?

Any help is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• Erggg

• lapis

• Mech-for-i

I enjoy my KiN inks. Great stuff and they show up under black light.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It quite depends on how much the ink would cost you and what do you expect.

Locally (in the country of manufacturer) 50ml of this document ink cost about 1 USD. Yes, one single dollar. You won't remove the ink form a piece of paper, however it is famous for being severe to many pens/feeds, so I would stay away in case of expensive pens. The price is very impressive though.

Locally you can also get a 1000ml (1l) bottle of their classic (non-document) ink for 5 USD. This ink is a classic acidic old school ink with a vinegar smell and is a bit washed out so quite a few people have evaporated it to make the colour more intense (in any case a steal per 1ml).

The main reason of my respond is to accent that K-I-N inks (either document or standard) are 1USD RRP/50ml inks (in 50ml plastic bottles) where they are made. The cost doesn't necessarily speak fully for itself, but...
For exemple Iroshizuku inks are naturally cheaper in Japan. But they still cost about 12 dollars there (while 20 from goulet).

KIN are decent inks and quite superb for the rrp mentioned above. Whether they worth you is another question.

Edited by aurore

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

I have the Document Blue. It is a permanent, dye-based ink that is well-behaved on most papers, except for the worst, and in all the pens I have tried.

The colour is a deepish, true blue with no hint of chalkiness.

Once dry, it is totally waterproof, with no run-off or smearing.

Of course, I use it in a dry, fine-nibbed pen, so I can't comment on how it behaves in a wet, broad pen.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Well AFAIK, the ink is an old school Iron Gall and as such fit for fountain pen but also with all the caveat ; if one is frugal about the use of such ink , almost all the good Iron Gall had the same property, permanence in writing and really the color is blue black only at the time the ink are being laid down, upon drying it will turn black no matter what. Modern color IG ink like the KWZ or Phoenix Quill range are more like a mix of color dye and IG base which will retain the color but also permanence suffer.

I like IG ink, yes they are high maintenance ink somewhat but modern material used in fountain pen handle that quite well , just avoid using pens with any kind of sac and remember to empty and wash / flush every month ( or shorter interval ) and you will be sure you can have a performance from the ink. And for better measure, try not to use it with steel nib ( though I myself had use steel nib with IG ink with no ill effect )

The issue I had with this ink in my locale is the price, its way too expensive as it was listed under art supply and the stores that carried them seems to priced that likewise

Edited by Mech-for-i

I haven't tried the blue, but I love the permanent black. I keep it in my everyday carry, Delike Alpha with an EF nib and have used it for about a year with no problems at all. I use it to address letters, post cards and official documents. I haven't ever tried to clean it out. The pen is dedicated to this ink and I carry it everywhere-even camping. :D

Edited by richila

Definitely not IG.

Standard, Permanent Dye-Based Blue --

fpn_1461108964__kohinnooratwork3.jpg

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Thanks for the help. I was on the fence about buying this ink. I was scared to use it in my nicer pens. I guess I can always use it in a cheap pen. It I guess I don't have much to lose. I'm sold on this :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clear up the speculations:

Yesterday I have received an answer from Koh-i-noor about their document inks and they say their document black ink is carbon based. :)

I bought the black and the blue last year on a little road trip to the Czech Republic. I haven't used the blue (which disappeared into my friend's atelier), but I did try the black... very tentatively. I don't remember having any problems with it, but I have my Noodler's Black, and I just keep using that. Maybe I'll give the KIN Black a fairer test.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Just to clear up the speculations:

Yesterday I have received an answer from Koh-i-noor about their document inks and they say their document black ink is carbon based. :)

fpn_1526808454__img_3924.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I ordered a bottle of the permanent blue yesterday.

£3 odd on amazon uk so not as cheap as in the Czech Republic itself but still a bargain and worth a try in a cheapish pen.