AndyLogan

I won this vintage pen from a bidding over ebay today, it had a broad nib so that got me interested, placed an offer and went to sleep, Found out I won just hours ago, I thought I was getting a MB 244 as per seller's heading, a 1940's pen only produced and sold in Denmark, but from the seller's pictures, it hardly looks like the MB 244's found in another thread. I tried researching about the pen, I'm not sure if its a MB 344 or some version of it, I hope our resident vintage experts can help as I have no clue as to what it is. Attaching photo's from ebay seller's website:

post-141810-0-74920600-1522641617_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-01049800-1522641630_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-89970300-1522641639_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-25367500-1522641651_thumb.jpg

post-141810-0-76893400-1522641664_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyLogan

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyLogan

• Tom Kellie

• Rowbo

• siamackz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cap certainly looks like the Danish 244 as shown here: http://www.collectiblestars.com/epages/64015612.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64015612/Categories/50/5010/501010/50101031/5010103154/501010315440

However, the grip section is parallel rather than concave so the pen body might belong to an entirely different model, such as that you suggest. It must be a model that has compatible threads, at least.

Experts will chip in soon, I'm sure.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

I have the danish 244 - a black version and marbled green, both with pointy cap crowns like yours.

The cap on your pen is correct. But the body on my Pens are different. Your pics look very much like a 34x body.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Thank you @Rowbo & @Siamackz, at least Im getting better at identifying some Montblancs. Ill just wait and see when the pen comes in, if the cap & barrels threads are compatible and secure, I might just keep the pen since it has a broad nib. Got it for US$200. My only problem would be if the piston cork needs replacing, but seller advertised that pen is in working order (hopefully) ill probably just stay off ebay for now & since Im going to a pen show in Sydney around August, its probably best to just keep my money & buy pens onsite.

This pen is an evident mix: while the cap seems the original danish (244 model), the body seems not.

The body itself may be a 344/342 model (it may be even a 264 model, although the nib belongs to the 34x series).

If my suspect is correct, the piston seal is not cork but plastic, since this 34x model seems the last one, in plastic with the blue window.

If you are interested in the 344 models, please find in this forum my review: "344 the humble Montblanc"

the link is

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302368-344-the-humble-montblanc/

Nat

Greetings from Italy to you all !!

;)

This pen is an evident mix: while the cap seems the original danish (244 model), the body seems not.

The body itself may be a 344/342 model (it may be even a 264 model, although the nib belongs to the 34x series).

If my suspect is correct, the piston seal is not cork but plastic, since this 34x model seems the last one, in plastic with the blue window.

If you are interested in the 344 models, please find in this forum my review: "344 the humble Montblanc"

the link is

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302368-344-the-humble-montblanc/

Nat

Thank you for that informative link Nat, but I'm thinking of steering clear of the vintage pens for a while as I don't have enough knowledge to judge a pen's actual worth, as well as I don't want to fall deeper into the rabbit hole of collecting Montblancs! Modern pens are easy enough for me to judge as I have been reading and looking at pictures from various threads on this forum.

Off topic: I was browsing casually at the local (the only one) pen store here down South when the sales rep asked me if I needed help, she must have recognized me since I've been visiting the shop frequently and have been purchasing inks, rhodia notebooks and (pelikan pens), I was surprised that the collection of MB pens in the storage glass case had grown immensely over the long weekend, it turned out that they were keeping the other models in storage and had decided to show them off, they had a lovely collection of the silver series which almost made me lose control to purchase a pen. I sampled the 149 (for the first time) and my god, I think it'll be my next "must buy", saw some donations pens which caught my fancy and asked to have a closer look, I correctly identified them as "donation pens" but the sales rep had no idea what I was talking about and flustered that she was still learning the ropes about the pens in each collection, she immediately brought out several huge retailer catalogues to try to identify the pen, At that moment I wanted to work at that pen shop just to be able to browse and read those heavy catalogues (they had ran an advert about looking for a part time casual employee). I was really interested with the catalogues! She correctly identified the pen (Johann Staruss) and asked if I was interested in doing a writing sample. I mentioned that I was more interested with WE pens as they were limited (she mistakenly thought that the donation pens were limited editions and did not know the difference between SE and LE). Long story short, I ordered some J hebrin 1670 ink (the emerald was out of stock), and we had a chitchat that retailers will be previewing the Montblanc 2018 range this April but the WE won't come out until July, so I guess I just have to wait until July to learn more about the next WE pen. Now I'm thinking of sending my resume to try to get a part time job just to satisfy my obsession with MB pens.

Off topic: I was browsing casually at the local (the only one) pen store here down South when the sales rep asked me if I needed help, she must have recognized me since I've been visiting the shop frequently and have been purchasing inks, rhodia notebooks and (pelikan pens), I was surprised that the collection of MB pens in the storage glass case had grown immensely over the long weekend, it turned out that they were keeping the other models in storage and had decided to show them off, they had a lovely collection of the silver series which almost made me lose control to purchase a pen. I sampled the 149 (for the first time) and my god, I think it'll be my next "must buy", saw some donations pens which caught my fancy and asked to have a closer look, I correctly identified them as "donation pens" but the sales rep had no idea what I was talking about and flustered that she was still learning the ropes about the pens in each collection, she immediately brought out several huge retailer catalogues to try to identify the pen, At that moment I wanted to work at that pen shop just to be able to browse and read those heavy catalogues (they had ran an advert about looking for a part time casual employee). I was really interested with the catalogues! She correctly identified the pen (Johann Staruss) and asked if I was interested in doing a writing sample. I mentioned that I was more interested with WE pens as they were limited (she mistakenly thought that the donation pens were limited editions and did not know the difference between SE and LE). Long story short, I ordered some J hebrin 1670 ink (the emerald was out of stock), and we had a chitchat that retailers will be previewing the Montblanc 2018 range this April but the WE won't come out until July, so I guess I just have to wait until July to learn more about the next WE pen. Now I'm thinking of sending my resume to try to get a part time job just to satisfy my obsession with MB pens.

~ AndyLogan:

Thank you so much for taking time to explain the special visit you had at your local pen store.

I'm like the lady at the shop, as it's only been within the past few months that I've finally sorted out Donation Pens, Special Editions and Limited Editions.

The Donation Pen Johann Strauss with an M nib has been a highly reliable writer for me.

You're fortunate to be able to purchase J. Herbin ink, which I've never seen where I work and live.

Your interest in working there part-time is understandable, as that would be an educational experience.

I hope that your collection will continue to grow, both with WE pens and others.

Thanks again for the interesting post.

Tom K.

~ AndyLogan:

Thank you so much for taking time to explain the special visit you had at your local pen store.

I'm like the lady at the shop, as it's only been within the past few months that I've finally sorted out Donation Pens, Special Editions and Limited Editions.

The Donation Pen Johann Strauss with an M nib has been a highly reliable writer for me.

You're fortunate to be able to purchase J. Herbin ink, which I've never seen where I work and live.

Your interest in working there part-time is understandable, as that would be an educational experience.

I hope that your collection will continue to grow, both with WE pens and others.

Thanks again for the interesting post.

Tom K.

Thank you for the kind words Tom, though as I've re-read my entry, I cringe at the punctuation and grammar mistakes that I've made, probably because I was thinking of the whole experience as I was writing it without pause. So I gather China has restrictions on which inks are allowed to enter? How about those sample size inks? Won't they allow purchasing of those small ink vials?

Edited by AndyLogan

Thank you for the kind words Tom, though as I've re-read my entry, I cringe at the punctuation and grammar mistakes that I've made, probably because I was thinking of the whole experience as I was writing it without pause. So I gather China has restrictions on which inks are allowed to enter? How about those sample size inks? Won't they allow purchasing of those small ink vials?

~ AndyLogan:

Thank you for the reply.

The issue here isn't size, but rather things deemed to be “foreign”.

They allowed small size Diamine in the past.

At present there are a number of restrictions.

I'm OK as I have many boxes of both Montblanc and Diamine ink.

Tom K.