If You Like The Feel Of The Carene, You'll Really Like The...

Tseg

In a few short weeks my Waterman Carene has risen to the ranks of my favorite pen to write with, displacing the likes of the Pelikan M1000, Pilot Custom 823 and others. It is such a sturdy feeling pen with a glassy/juicy nib (love Mysterious Blue) on Tomoe River paper. I hold the pen right in front of the section ring with modest pressure. Any other pens have a similar feel? Maybe it is the lacquer over brass? Integrated nib? Elongated section? The weight, the length, the girth all seem to work well for me.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• RMN

• pajaro

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Amber Shimmer Carene that didn’t get much use; the medium nib was uninspiring. Last October at the Colorado Pen Show, Dan Smith worked his magic, grinding it to a stub. It has been in my pocket a lot lately.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I really like the Carenes, though at times the exposed nib gets my finger inky if I am not careful. But the Carene is a unique-looking pen that deserves more respect; for me, it is the best that Waterman can offer.

If you want anything similar in feel (though not the same nib), I suggest you try the S.T. Dupont lacquer pens. They have a similar weight and are also out of lacquer, but they are much more expensive.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Well, if you bring a good wallet, you might enjoy the Waterman Edson. Officially not current any more, but many shops will still have one.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I get a different result from the medium Carene by varying the ink from dry to wet.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

One could also consider a Sheaffer Legacy (if you wanted the weight to remain similar) and if it is just the girth of the section and similar barrel feel, few pens beat a vintage Sheaffer PFM for comfort in long writing sessions.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I really like the Carenes, though at times the exposed nib gets my finger inky if I am not careful. But the Carene is a unique-looking pen that deserves more respect; for me, it is the best that Waterman can offer.

If you want anything similar in feel (though not the same nib), I suggest you try the S.T. Dupont lacquer pens. They have a similar weight and are also out of lacquer, but they are much more expensive.

Erick

Bummer, just lost out on an Olympio with some major last second sniping on Ebay.

I've never held a Carene. But they look beautiful, and I would like to try one, one day. Good luck with your search.

20 years in production and you can take any part from a day one pen and fit it to a current pen without issues. That tells me Waterman got the design and manufacturing process spot on.

While I appreciate the look of my Amber Shimmer Carene, with stub nib, I recently purchased a Fidelio from Dupont with a factory stub nib & prefer it over the Carene.

My Carene is one of my top five. Probably the smoothest nib I own even though it's a fine.

Maybe I should realize it is a silly notion to find an even better writing pen than the one I already think is the best writing pen... or at least explore 'best writing' from a different design perspective than seek an incrementally better pen in the same mold?

I lost out on my ST DuPont ebay bid last night with 5 seconds to go and was a little perturbed... did I only need $10 more? $20 more? But everything happens for a reason. At 3 am I got the auto-text from USPS that my Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear I ordered a month ago from Japan and thought was lost has finally landed on shore in NYC. Hopefully I'll have that pen by this weekend as a big compare/contrast to the Carene... it certainly will be a much different feel.

I use snipe software for regular auctions (non BIN) because then I only bid what I think the item is worth to me. If I win, great, if not then another will come along at some time.

I use snipe software for regular auctions (non BIN) because then I only bid what I think the item is worth to me. If I win, great, if not then another will come along at some time.

You and I behave in identical ways. I never, ever worry about an auction. I simply decide "how much would I pay for this pen?" and set a snipe. I never look back. Did this with a very nice Sheaffer yesterday and didn't win, but someone wanted it a bit more. Had I bid higher, they might have bid higher as well; trying to imagine scenarios like that are folly.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 3 weeks later...

I did finally learn how to use sniping software and snagged a deal with the opening bid for this ST Dupont Olympio Large/Standard. Even though I got an incredible deal on my Carene purchased new, this Olympio was even less than that. Many thanks to the FPN enthusiasts for making the recommendation. This pen is all it is cracked up to be.

My Carene was the smoothest pen in my collection. The Olympia is now markedly smoother. It has an occasional hard start (1/2 of a stroke at most) if I'm holding it in my hand for 15-20 seconds but I think sending it to a nib meister to get it looked at may be overboard as everything else is working awesome.

If you like the Carene, you will really like an ST Dupont Olympio. I'm a huge fan of lacquer on brass.

41528775122_82c94b79ac_k.jpg

27698786798_4ed7ca0eaa_k.jpg

Edited by Tseg

• 2 weeks later...

While I appreciate the look of my Amber Shimmer Carene, with stub nib, I recently purchased a Fidelio from Dupont with a factory stub nib & prefer it over the Carene.

I do not suppose the costs were equal.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if you bring a good wallet, you might enjoy the Waterman Edson. Officially not current any more, but many shops will still have one.

I just received my Carene, but really I want an Edson, cant seem to find one here in Switzerland though.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem (Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even)http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I do not suppose the costs were equal.

No, the Carene was purchased new & because the Fidelio was used it cost a bit less than the Carene.

I just received my Carene, but really I want an Edson, cant seem to find one here in Switzerland though.

Getting scarce. And you won't find them in the webshops. You might come ocross one in the wild. That's how I got my Silver LE Edson real cheap. A local shop had it sitting in the shop, really a place where they seldom sell a FP, let alone a Silver Edson.

Took it of his hands. He happy he had part of his investment back, I for a sweet deal....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~