Can I Use Franklin Christoph's Nibs On Any Other Pens?

Oldtimer

OK friends: this is my question. and the "why".

I have this Franklin Christoph Pocket 40 with a great 1.1 nib that I love.... Could I use it in any other pen that has a screw type nib system.?

The only problem I have is that the cap slips out of it and then the pen is too small to be used that way.

Thanks

Edited by Berelleza

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oldtimer

• dms525

• Jamerelbe

• dapprman

The pocket 40 uses a #5 nib. It is compatible with the smaller Edison pens, for example, that take that size JoWo nib. It will not work in pens that take #6 JoWo nibs.

Thanks, good to know. I was not thinking on buying another pen for that purpose... so, I will look around to see what else, could fit on this category , based on this data.

But more importantly, a pen that would take the whole nib assembly of the F-C (JoWo nib assembly) that screws into the Pocket-40 pen. Looking around I found out that the Edison Pearlette is such a pen, but then, I would need to buy a $169 pen to get the nib I want, which I test smoothed to my liking, just the nib housing is not practical anymore.

Would it be correct to assume that the 1.1 mm JoWo #5 nib is exactly like the ones in the F-Cs pens sans the logo? Because then, I could just buy an Edison Pearlette and smooth it equally to be similar to the Pocket 40 when i have that está money available.

How could a Jowo #5 fit a TWSBI ECO? Thats I Think- what I read in a 2015 post if I remember well.

Edited by Berelleza

If you want to use the nib in its housing, that could be a challenge: there aren't a whole lot of pens around (that I'm aware of) that use the #5 JoWo screw-in unit. If you're prepared to 'harvest' the nib (it should be friction fit, and easy enough to remove), I'd recommend trying a Fountain Pen Revolution pen - the Indus (if you want a Pelikan-style pen with plastic feed), or the Jaipur or Himalaya (if you want to try with an ebonite feed).

The added advantage with these pens is the (comparatively) low price point, and the nibs that come with them are generally pretty good (though the stubs aren't really stubbish enough, and add $4 to the price). I *really* like the look and feel of the Himalaya, but it's the most expensive option.

If you want to use the nib in its housing, that could be a challenge: there aren't a whole lot of pens around (that I'm aware of) that use the #5 JoWo screw-in unit. If you're prepared to 'harvest' the nib (it should be friction fit, and easy enough to remove), I'd recommend trying a Fountain Pen Revolution pen - the Indus (if you want a Pelikan-style pen with plastic feed), or the Jaipur or Himalaya (if you want to try with an ebonite feed).

The added advantage with these pens is the (comparatively) low price point, and the nibs that come with them are generally pretty good (though the stubs aren't really stubbish enough, and add $4 to the price). I *really* like the look and feel of the Himalaya, but it's the most expensive option.

I will look at these pens but I know I dont like ebonite...,and Im not prepared to damage the F-C nib unit. My project has just ended, then, until I can find a cheap pen that uses a #5 Jowo that I can insert freely by friction and that was not the original idea, no pressure now to do anything. Edited by Berelleza

I will look at these pens but I know I dont like ebonite...,and Im not prepared to damage the F-C nib unit. My project has just ended, then, until I can find a cheap pen that uses a #5 Jowo that I can insert freely by friction and 5hats not the original idea, no pressure.

The FPR Himalaya comes in ebonite or acrylic - so you *may* have an option there. I've managed to successfully remove JoWo #5 nibs from their assemblies without damaging the feed or sleeve they're only friction fit, but you have to be comfortable with the risk. Sorry I can't suggest any pen bodies that will take the whole unit - I have a Kickstarter pen (the Loclen Electa) that fits the bill, but it's now a pretty expensive option if available at all...

Edited by Jamerelbe

Would it fit into an Italix pen? I have an Italix Parson's Essential with a nib that I think was from Edison (and a smaller size nib). I bought it for the Persimmon Swirl pen by Edison (Collier) but it was too small so I stuck it in the Parson's and it worked perfectly. I just screwed it in so didn't need to pull the nib from its housing. The pens are a reasonable price and pretty sturdy. They are a little heavy though. I'm sorry I can't be sure about the size. The bonus of doing that would be that you could order a Parson's with an unusual nib (Italix offers a lot of options) that you want to try out.

Would it fit into an Italix pen? I have an Italix Parson's Essential with a nib that I think was from Edison (and a smaller size nib). I bought it for the Persimmon Swirl pen by Edison (Collier) but it was too small so I stuck it in the Parson's and it worked perfectly. I just screwed it in so didn't need to pull the nib from its housing. The pens are a reasonable price and pretty sturdy. They are a little heavy though. I'm sorry I can't be sure about the size. The bonus of doing that would be that you could order a Parson's with an unusual nib (Italix offers a lot of options) that you want to try out.

Edison only does #5's and #6's so it must have been a #5 you put in your Parson's.

Another pen that I understand uses standard #5 Jowo nib units is the Opus 88 Koloro. I sold all my #5's from F-C so have not tried swapping nibs in my Opus 88 yet to know if it works.

The nib unit should fit into a Faber Castell Loom. Right now I put my Franklin Christoph nib only into a TWSBI ECO. The only issue is that it doesn't fit super snugly so i put in a folded up piece of aluminum foil to shim it. Eventually the aluminum foil will corrode away however due to galvanic corrosion.

I have used both a Franklin Christoph #5 and an Italix Parson's Essential nib in Levenger True Writer pens.

• 3 months later...

Edison only does #5's and #6's so it must have been a #5 you put in your Parson's.

Another pen that I understand uses standard #5 Jowo nib units is the Opus 88 Koloro. I sold all my #5's from F-C so have not tried swapping nibs in my Opus 88 yet to know if it works.

This is a somewhat old topic, but I thought this question was worth an answer, now that I have one.

I just purchased an Opus 88 Fantasia. It is a cute little pen, a Japanese-type Eyedropper filler with a cut off valve. It comes with a #5 JoWo nib. I unscrewed the nib. It has a normal #5 JoWo feed and carrier, except for a little O-ring placed loosely over the carrier's nipple. I believe this provides a leak-proof seal. I swapped in a #5 18 Kt JoWo nib from FPnibs, placing the O-ring on it. It worked perfectly. I am confident other #5 JoWo nibs (Edison, Franklin-Christoph, etc.) will work with the Opus 88 pen as well.

David

Just one word of caution, every Italix nib is finished in our workshop. A standard medium, fine or broad nib is leather stropped for extra smoothness. The other 24 nib options offered by us are cut, ground and polished. Yes, you can screw in any nib you like, it may or may not work as you would hope but please be aware of the risk of disappointment.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Just one word of caution, every Italix nib is finished in our workshop. A standard medium, fine or broad nib is leather stropped for extra smoothness. The other 24 nib options offered by us are cut, ground and polished. Yes, you can screw in any nib you like, it may or may not work as you would hope but please be aware of the risk of disappointment.

Frankly, Italix nibs are so good it should be a crime to replace them with any other nib.