Pelikan Edelstein Olivine

lapis

I appreciate everyone's posts that reveal the color of this ink we were anticipating.

I was excited to see another "olivey" ink & preordered mine back in early February from the only US site that accepted preorders. I called this morning & asked them to cancel the order. Their sales price of $35.00 for an ink that "leans blue" was not appealing to me after seeing these posts. I was happy to receive the Graf von Faber Castell Olive green & already have numerous other inks that provide yellow/olive green when I want it.

In the meantime I will enjoy the brightness of the GvFC "Viper Green," which offers a bright green that I find more appealing after the prolonged winter season. I will use in the house while awaiting the Dawn Redwood's emerging leaves in the garden.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• The Good Captain

• Jan2016

• Intensity

Ls,

Contrary to many opinions I like this ink very very much.

The name Olivine caused some bias between expectations and the real colour of this ink.

If you were thinking about olives, yea this is not the colour to be expected (though you have olives in many many colours).

I like clear blues and blue/blacks.

Considering other colours: mostly they stand out too much for me / just to bright. So, I tend to favour the really dark browns (Graf von Faber Castell – hazelnut) and really dark greens.

Mont Blanc Olivive turns out to a really really dark green, almost black. At first sight one would not notice there is green in it, but there is definitely something that does not make it black. Especially when using a wet nib in medium is shows a classy distinct dark green/black line.

So, for me it has become one of my favourite dark inks and my most favourite dark green.

Greetings

kdv

Considering other colours: mostly they stand out too much for me / just to bright. So, I tend to favour the really dark browns (Graf von Faber Castell – hazelnut) and really dark greens.

Mont Blanc Olivive turns out to a really really dark green, almost black. At first sight one would not notice there is green in it, but there is definitely something that does not make it black. Especially

Do you mean Monteverde Olivine like this?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Amazing ink review--looks like you've set the standard for excellence.

One thing, and I apologize if someone pointed it out already: You forgot to mention my favorite Edelstein ink, Tanzanite!

Amazing ink review--looks like you've set the standard for excellence.

One thing, and I apologize if someone pointed it out already: You forgot to mention my favorite Edelstein ink, Tanzanite!

Thanks for such a nice comment. Actually, I did mention your favorite Edelstein ink. That was under the Physical Properties point Wetness/flow. What I maybe could have and/or should have typed is that the Olivine is almost as wet/lubricated as the Tanzanite, which is maybe the wettest and most lubricated Edelstein of all. That, again, being due to its addition of more and/or a better surfactant responsible for Pelikan's feature here as an "Extra soft ink".

However, I now see that I in fact did forget to list Tanzanite up top in the very first paragraph. That was a bad omission! I think Tanzanite is one of the most-loved Edelstein inks, and -- since it's not a LE "Ink of the Year" -- it's still available!

Ls,

Contrary to many opinions I like this ink very very much.

The name Olivine caused some bias between expectations and the real colour of this ink.

If you were thinking about olives, yea this is not the colour to be expected (though you have olives in many many colours).

I like clear blues and blue/blacks.

Mont Blanc Olivive turns out to a really really dark green, almost black. At first sight one would not notice there is green in it, but there is definitely something that does not make it black. Especially when using a wet nib in medium is shows a classy distinct dark green/black line.

So, for me it has become one of my favourite dark inks and my most favourite dark green.

Greetings

kdv

Beyond the word “olive” being part of “olivine”, most people here think about the stone olivine. After all the ink series is named after gemstones. It’s like naming an ink “Amethyst”, making promo pictures that show lavender-purple ink in the bottle, and then in writing it comes out as pink or red—you’d be a bit surprised, no?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

My expectation was based on this image. The reviews are showing something different. In this case the only perception involved is that of eyesight. Yes, visual perception is different between viewers, but not for the individual making a comparison between images. Maybe I'm a little more sensitive to colour due years of training and practice as a painter, but clearly I'm not the only one to notice a discrepancy between what was promised and that which appears to have been delivered. It doesn't really matter, of course, merely a fleeting disappointment, I'll just buy something else.

edelstein-ink-olivine-detail.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Very nicely put. Somehow sums up everything felt by others.

Very nicely put. Somehow sums up everything felt by others.

indeed. However, I think that it still looks good in my 'recent' M120, green/black version.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

That's the conundrum. It isn't an olive, it doesn't look like an olivine, it isn't exactly what they promised (image-wise) but I still like it. What are we going to do?

That's the conundrum. It isn't an olive, it doesn't look like an olivine, it isn't exactly what they promised (image-wise) but I still like it. What are we going to do?

Well, use it and wait for one that is more the olive colour we expected.

Probably, enigmatically named 'CITRINE'!

The Good Captain

Well, use it and wait for one that is more the olive colour we expected.

Probably, enigmatically named 'CITRINE'!

Hey, that's a good one. Or, they could offer 'Citrus' including any of those fruits all the way up to (or should I say down to) PInk Grapefruit?

I think the ink itself looks great, based on the review images. My personal replies have been in support of those who expected one thing and got another (so I can understand their disappointment if they were after ink with more yellow-brown in it--especially considering the high cost of each bottle), and it made me wonder what went wrong between the promo photos and the end product. But certainly there's nothing wrong with the actual ink.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I think the ink itself looks great, based on the review images. My personal replies have been in support of those who expected one thing and got another (so I can understand their disappointment if they were after ink with more yellow-brown in it--especially considering the high cost of each bottle), and it made me wonder what went wrong between the promo photos and the end product. But certainly there's nothing wrong with the actual ink.

I couldn't agree more. It's a fin ink and looks good. Just not what I was expecting.

The Good Captain

In an attempt to get back on track, here's a few more inks that might have been dawning on us....

First, thanks to Migo (in Track #33), I don't have Kobe #40 but I do have Epinard. To be honest, I did think of that but originally thought that it (Epinard) was even darker, but it isn't. Some of the others (below) may be too dark... but what the heck... Pelikan's Olivine itself is pretty dark. Or? Well, Herbin's Olive Green isn't too dark but it sure is a lot more olive-y....

fpn_1523654850__7_more_greens.jpg

IMHO they should have chosen Claudia's Andalusite... :)

fpn_1522832478__fpn_1462802698__andaluci

This reminds me of Diamine Salamander.

I expected a color slightly more green than this, certainly not a darker Pelikan 4001 Dark Green.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

fpn_1523694379__salamander_olivine.jpg

You know me, and Salamander...!

The Good Captain

I certainly do (know you)! That's where they (the Salamanders) came from!!