Typical Wait For A Backordered Namiki Yukari Royale?

Tseg

I believe it's the same in yen so it's 120000 yen and 160000 yen. When you buy in Japan it's highly dependent on the exchange rates. When I bought mine, the rates were 100 yen to .84 USD which was AWESOME for shopping. Right now it's to .92 USD so its a bit higher. Of course there is also no sales tax when foreigners buy at retail.

The Yukari Royale and Emperor are about 1200 and 1600 USD in North America. If you buy from one of the Japanese shops in-person, how much would they cost?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• PenandDesign

• Mew

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it's the same in yen so it's 120000 yen and 160000 yen. When you buy in Japan it's highly dependent on the exchange rates. When I bought mine, the rates were 100 yen to .84 USD which was AWESOME for shopping. Right now it's to .92 USD so its a bit higher. Of course there is also no sales tax when foreigners buy at retail.

Thank you!

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

I will offer that my on-line purchase was offering a 10% off their entire store merchandise for the holiday weekend, so was able to get another 10% knocked off a not-inexpensive pen. The down side is I have to wait months for delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit late and off topic, but I read another thread where you were talking about your daily carry of 6 pens. I’m getting into Japanese pens more and more these days, and I’d love to see a post from you about your daily carry! It’d be vicarious living, in a way ;) Thank you!

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

I will offer that my on-line purchase was offering a 10% off their entire store merchandise for the holiday weekend, so was able to get another 10% knocked off a not-inexpensive pen. The down side is I have to wait months for delivery.

Worth it if you ask me! I read your other thread on deciding about which pen to get, and I will say that I think you’ve made a good choice - not that I’ve tried any of the three pens!

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

Worth it if you ask me! I read your other thread on deciding about which pen to get, and I will say that I think you’ve made a good choice - not that I’ve tried any of the three pens!

In life when I buy nice things I like to use them and get my money's worth out of them vs. storing them in some glass case or locking them in a safe. I really like the idea of Urushi, but it needs to be accompanied by a high performing nib and the pen overall must be functional and relatively practical because I would like to use it a lot. I'm glad I've acquired several other nice pens first so this wait is not killing me... and I am expecting this pen to be the pinnacle of my collection so in a way I'm kind of glad things are dragging out.

A while ago I got a King of Pen Pro Gear and I like writing with it posted... but despite my waxing the resin the barrel has already been scuffed a bit from the posting and I'm trying to decide what I think of that and the implication about how careful I'll really want to be with the No. 20 when it arrives. I don't see me posting it, but I travel a lot and I'm debating whether I'll be flying around with it.

Penanddesign, thanks for your vote of confidence. I post so rarely that I did not realize people actually follow what I say. The pens I use reflect the stage I am in on my path to better writing and lettering. Currently I am still trying to improve my Chinese writing so moved away from my previous preference for broads, stubs and italics to finer nibs.

What you saw was probably a phase I was in when I was carrying primarily my Sailor KOP in ebonite with a medium nib and also a Namiki Yukari Royale, with an assortment of other Japanese pens, mainly either Platinum, Pilot or Nakaya. While the Sailor KOP and the Namiki Yukari Royle will be always be my all time favorite pens, and was carrying them for a while. I am in a phase when I am exploring slight broader nibs now, which is the reason why my current everyday carry has quite a few European mediums, including an OMAS 360 medium, a Montblanc Starwalker Medium and a Porsche Design P3150 fountainpen medium.

I have found that Japanese nibs that are marked FINE are really too fine for me. My preferred nib size from Japanese pen manufacturers are mediums. It's wide enough to express the subtle pressures required for Chinese characters but not so fine that you look you you're writing with a pin. Since I started on this journey slightly over a year ago, I have found that I can control the pen enough that I can decently write with even wider nibs today. Best example was the KOP ebonite with a broad naginata nib. I bought the pen just about when I started to learn Chinese writing. At that time the characters that sprung from my hands were TERRIBLE. I thought I made a huge mistake purchasing the pen, and it sat unused in the back drawer for a long time. Today with enough control, the pen is now coming back into use and is another favorite. It is the equivalent of an italic nib for Chinese characters. This is the only Japanese pen I currently have in my daily carry amidst all of the European pens.

Hope that gives you a picture of my evolving pen needs.

Edited by gerigo

Penanddesign, thanks for your vote of confidence. I post so rarely that I did not realize people actually follow what I say. The pens I use reflect the stage I am in on my path to better writing and lettering. Currently I am still trying to improve my Chinese writing so moved away from my previous preference for broads, stubs and italics to finer nibs.

What you saw was probably a phase I was in when I was carrying primarily my Sailor KOP in ebonite with a medium nib and also a Namiki Yukari Royale, with an assortment of other Japanese pens, mainly either Platinum, Pilot or Nakaya. While the Sailor KOP and the Namiki Yukari Royle will be always be my all time favorite pens, and was carrying them for a while. I am in a phase when I am exploring slight broader nibs now, which is the reason why my current everyday carry has quite a few European mediums, including an OMAS 360 medium, a Montblanc Starwalker Medium and a Porsche Design P3150 fountainpen medium.

I have found that Japanese nibs that are marked FINE are really too fine for me. My preferred nib size from Japanese pen manufacturers are mediums. It's wide enough to express the subtle pressures required for Chinese characters but not so fine that you look you you're writing with a pin. Since I started on this journey slightly over a year ago, I have found that I can control the pen enough that I can decently write with even wider nibs today. Best example was the KOP ebonite with a broad naginata nib. I bought the pen just about when I started to learn Chinese writing. At that time the characters that sprung from my hands were TERRIBLE. I thought I made a huge mistake purchasing the pen, and it sat unused in the back drawer for a long time. Today with enough control, the pen is now coming back into use and is another favorite. It is the equivalent of an italic nib for Chinese characters. This is the only Japanese pen I currently have in my daily carry amidst all of the European pens.

Hope that gives you a picture of my evolving pen needs.

Thank you very much! I find myself being drawn not only to pens lately, but to the personalities and professions behind pens - that is, the idiosyncrasies of their owners. Your pen choice almost reminded me of a doctor (perhaps Im remembering winedoc!) or jetsetting businessman (here Im recalling a Hong Kong-based friend with a flair for collecting and sharing information about pens).

I like your approach to choosing pens: you pick pens with which you can fulfil the task at hand, rather than picking solely based on aesthetics or variety. I wish you all the best in your journey of refining your Chinese script!

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

In life when I buy nice things I like to use them and get my money's worth out of them vs. storing them in some glass case or locking them in a safe. I really like the idea of Urushi, but it needs to be accompanied by a high performing nib and the pen overall must be functional and relatively practical because I would like to use it a lot. I'm glad I've acquired several other nice pens first so this wait is not killing me... and I am expecting this pen to be the pinnacle of my collection so in a way I'm kind of glad things are dragging out.

A while ago I got a King of Pen Pro Gear and I like writing with it posted... but despite my waxing the resin the barrel has already been scuffed a bit from the posting and I'm trying to decide what I think of that and the implication about how careful I'll really want to be with the No. 20 when it arrives. I don't see me posting it, but I travel a lot and I'm debating whether I'll be flying around with it.

I agree that purchased pens purchased should become used pens. I love the idea of urushi; whether its Danitrios and Sailors range of colours, Nakayas techniques, or Namikis dignified red and black urushi pens, I find myself wanting an urushi pen. My one fear is that I wouldnt use the pen enough to warrant its price. With regards to posting, I dont know whether Id post an urushi pen. With non-limited edition plastic pens, I post when I feel I need to, but I can see how posting and scuffing an urushi pen might make one feel as if theyve damaged the pens integrity by marking its lacquer. I can also see why youd be hesitant to keep posting your Sailor...if doing so will leave a scratch, and if you dont need to post, maybe its better not to.

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign