Typical Wait For A Backordered Namiki Yukari Royale?

Tseg

I just placed an order for my -backordered- grail (which has now shifted from the Namiki Emperor to the Namiki Royale). I've seen reference to a 6-12 month wait. Does that sound about right for a Namiki Yukari Royale?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• PenandDesign

• Mew

• hari317

By yukari royale, do you mean the real yukari royale which is maki e or the plain urushi no 20?

The latter is usually readily available off the shelf in Japan.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I just placed an order for my -backordered- grail (which has now shifted from the Namiki Emperor to the Namiki Royale). I've seen reference to a 6-12 month wait. Does that sound about right for a Namiki Yukari Royale?

If you are ordering from US, probably yes.

If you visit Japan, then you can pick one up without any waiting period. Export is not permitted from Japan.

Export is not permitted from Japan.

sellers based in Japan ship it overseas. Some can be found on Rakuten. YMMV.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

sellers based in Japan ship it overseas. Some can be found on Rakuten. YMMV.

Report it to Namiki if you like, they'll have their license cancelled.

Export is not permitted since Japan MRP is lesser than US MRP, and Pilot US will lose quite a bit of business.

I saw one on rakuten at approximately 10% higher than Japan MRP, so maybe he'll be spared since he may be trying to match the US price, but I wrote what I was told.

Report it to Namiki if you like, they'll have their license cancelled.

Export is not permitted since Japan MRP is lesser than US MRP, and Pilot US will lose quite a bit of business.

I saw one on rakuten at approximately 10% higher than Japan MRP, so maybe he'll be spared since he may be trying to match the US price, but I wrote what I was told.

whole of fpn does not live in USA. There are many regions where Namiki has no local dealer. Japanese sellers are doing a great service by making them available outside Japan.

Irrespective, it is against the rules of the license. If reported, the license may be cancelled. Then you stand to lose even the sales that you do inside Japan.

If someone wants to order and does not have a local Namiki retailer, he can order from EU or US.

Yes, the Vermillion Urushi... Bought in the US. I'm not heading to Japan any time soon.

Sounds about right then. May happen before that's too.

An acquaintance here on the forum ordered a Nakaya from Classic Fountain pens and was quoted a waiting period of 12 months. He received it within 4.

My US pen distributor contacted me and advised a 2-3 month wait (not nearly as bad as I was expecting) for the vermillion urushi Namiki Yukari Royale (which is a real Yukari Royale for those keeping score). I was able to get a holiday special on top of a sale price so the price was right as well (other than having to pay 2-3 months in advance). It looks like I could have gotten a black one immediately, but I think it is worth holding out for a red one... about 80% of my collection are mostly black pens currently and no red pens.

Irrespective, it is against the rules of the license. If reported, the license may be cancelled. Then you stand to lose even the sales that you do inside Japan.

If someone wants to order and does not have a local Namiki retailer, he can order from EU or US.

Well, when Pilot and Sailor and Platinum offer all the models they sell in Japan here (especially the Urushi and Maki-e) pens I might be OK to tattle on folks circumventing the process.

I follow all laws on importing stuff, most sellers gladly put the item as a purchase just for my own security and any Japanese purchases I've made fall under the cut-off for import duties. Also, as far as I can tell, there aren't import number restrictions on pens (why would there be?) so it isn't running afoul of that either.

And yes, I understand having distribution in the country of origin. Much is the correct importing for a business (similar to a personal thing like I do buying). They do spend money to ship it here, obviously that's more expensive than shipping domestically within Japan. I know they have to be aware and research any trademark or patent concerns. Again, mostly Pilot, but the scale worldwide that Pilot has should clearly be to their advantage in selling items here.

All of that though, especially at Pilot's scale, doesn't justify the 1/3rd to HALF price of models sold in the USA or even similar level pens not available here. I do not break any laws and I'm not advocating a seller do that, but bending a contract that's got ridiculous terms already, I won't tattle for that.

Well, when Pilot and Sailor and Platinum offer all the models they sell in Japan here (especially the Urushi and Maki-e) pens I might be OK to tattle on folks circumventing the process.

I follow all laws on importing stuff, most sellers gladly put the item as a purchase just for my own security and any Japanese purchases I've made fall under the cut-off for import duties. Also, as far as I can tell, there aren't import number restrictions on pens (why would there be?) so it isn't running afoul of that either.

And yes, I understand having distribution in the country of origin. Much is the correct importing for a business (similar to a personal thing like I do buying). They do spend money to ship it here, obviously that's more expensive than shipping domestically within Japan. I know they have to be aware and research any trademark or patent concerns. Again, mostly Pilot, but the scale worldwide that Pilot has should clearly be to their advantage in selling items here.

All of that though, especially at Pilot's scale, doesn't justify the 1/3rd to HALF price of models sold in the USA or even similar level pens not available here. I do not break any laws and I'm not advocating a seller do that, but bending a contract that's got ridiculous terms already, I won't tattle for that.

It is just a reality that multi-national consumer goods companies need to figure out on their own how to deal with parallel imports. Some are very effective at enforcing warranties. Others are very effective at enforcing agreements with unauthorized exporters... and others are ok (or lazy) with rampant 'abuse'. The consumer votes with their dollar based on the 'offer'. My prior 2 Japanese pens were bought from Japanese vendors... with this last pen still not to me nearly 5 weeks after I paid for it... but a +30% discount on a pricey pen. If the pen arrives flawless this weekend I'll think I was smart, if the pen arrives with issues, I'll think I was stupid and less apt to buy international again... but I'm in my 50's and this is not my first rodeo, so the risk of buying from across the pond(s) for me has not been too bad over the years.

Hi,

My post was only (and only) in reference to Namiki, not even Pilot, just namiki. As far as I know, all Namiki models can be obtained in US. If they are not available, Pilot US can order it for you with a little waiting period.

Japanese sellers are not supposed to export Namiki, because retailers outside of Japan have been permitted to export, and all models should be available with all sellers subject to stock with Namiki. No such restriction with Sailor or Platinum that I know of.

http://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/

That is the Namiki website in English, with the model collections clearly named.

The USA distribution likes to "upgrade" models by calling the Urushi no 50 an "emperor" and the urushi no 20 a "yukari royale".

http://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/

That is the Namiki website in English, with the model collections clearly named.

The USA distribution likes to "upgrade" models by calling the Urushi no 50 an "emperor" and the urushi no 20 a "yukari royale".

Thanks for pointing this out, which clarifies most/all US Namiki authorized distributors misrepresent the product (every one, from what I can tell)... a challenge for international brands to manage. One even categorizes it under "Urushi Collection" but then refers to it as "Yukari Royale". So the proper name is the Namiki Urushi Lacquer Vermillion No. 20. Good to know. I'm curious whether HQ endorses the use of this bastardized name in the US?

I bought mine in person at Itoya where they had a selection of nibs to sample. As stated, it was substantially cheaper than UK/US prices. Ignore the ins and outs of global trade - not your problem. Id contact the usual suspects (Engeika, cool-japan, White Rabbit Press) who will be happy to pick one up for you locally and forward it to your location. Even with import taxes, you will probably save some money, and you wont have to wait at all.

Great choice btw. One of, if not currently, my absolute favorite pen.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Mew is absolutely correct. There is a HUGE distinction between the Namiki branded products and the Pilot products IN JAPAN. Pilot pens are found almost everywhere and can easily be purchased with a 20% discount in many places, including top end pens like the 845 and the Custom Urushi. Namiki brand tries to make their products much more upmarket. There are MUCH less retailers that stock their product and you CANNOT find any pen at any sort of discount. If Namiki finds out, they will rescind the store's ability to carry their product. AND there is NO testing of Namiki nibs unless you ask to test each individual pen. If you can find Namiki pens online, it's probably obtained through unofficial channels, which is quite possible. I would guess because these pens are quite expensive, that to make a sale, that these channels might take care of their customers through their connections. It's not like they are selling a boat load of Namikis everyday.

Thank you gerigo. :)

Indeed, there is no discounting done on Namiki, and neither are you allowed to sell it online. So it is a bit surprising to see some vendors selling it online.

Take Nagasawa Kobe for example. If you visit their store in person, you will find Urushi #50, perhaps some emperors, Yukari Royale etc. But they do not sell them online, not even a single one of them.

Price control is very strict, and even slightest of discount would get your dealership cancelled. Also, there are ONLY 23 retailers of Namiki in Japan, so this helps in the strict price control.

Edited by Mew

The Yukari Royale and Emperor are about 1200 and 1600 USD in North America. If you buy from one of the Japanese shops in-person, how much would they cost?

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign