Rotring Rapid Pro!

sannidh

A surprise! A review of a ballpoint :D
Rotring started in 1928 with a tubular tipped stylographic fountain pen commonly known as Tiku and was incorporated as Titenkuli Handels GmbH. Later in the 1984, the calligraphic ArtPen was introduced, which was followed by the more famous and most sought after 600 series pens. There were a few changes in name in between and you can find their historical timeline here. In 1998, it was taken over by Sanford US, a part of Newell Rubbermaid Inc which also owns brands like Parker and Waterman. Rotring stopped manufacturing fountain pens soon after this acquisition. And yes of course, rot ring literally translates into red ring, which can be seen in almost all its writing instruments.
The Rapid PRO looks more like a modern avatar of the iconic 600 ball points. With evolution rotring has perhaps tried to make the rigid hexagonal shape more giving to curvature in the rapid pro. While writing this review, I could find a Japanese ebay seller list a few rotring 600 ball points. I am fairly certain that these are fresh production and not NOS.

The RAPID pro comes packaged in a grey-coloured triangular cardboard box with brand and product descriptions. The country of manufacturing is mentioned as Japan. I found the box, quite a welcome change compared to the earlier one. You may see a deserted G2 refill, lying beside the box. Nothing wrong with the original refill itself, this can be completely attributed to my new found love with Monteverde ceramic gel refills.
DSC00361.jpg
Both the Silver Chrome and Matte Black designs are beautifully made designs. The silver one portrays a shimmering exuberance, while the black one is quite subtle, albeit manifesting the same power. The weight and feel of both pens is quite comfortable, balanced and not at all on the heavier side. Don’t let the technical specs fool you!
DSC00362.JPG
Both finishes have a smooth audible click of the plunger button, to expose the writing tip, through the cone-cylinder tip. I couldn’t find a decipherable difference between the knock between the two variants.
DSC00366.JPG
I use black and silver alternately. The black one exhibits subtlety and seems to be quite capable of hiding in dark surroundings. Even the indented rOtring logo on the friction fit clip appears to be quite understated yet firm. The silver version in contrast looks vivacious. The mirror finished clip shimmers along with the conical tip, while the grey shine of the barrel complements both ends.
DSC00370.JPG
The iconic red ring adorns both the pens well, in between the section and the barrel. You can feel a noticeable difference between knurling of both sections. It feels a tad sharper on the silver variant. Even the branding on the black variant is understated yet suave while the silver one carries the brand with quite a panache. I feel the concentric cones & cylinder at the tip add to the style and render firmness in character to both pens.
DSC00373.JPG
A plastic insert serves the threading between the barrel and section, which can be a bit of trauma to the classical pen fanatic, for an otherwise near-perfectly made pen. The inserts seem quite thick and hopefully should be able to sustain added pressure of the metal parts if one over tightens the barrel.
DSC00377.JPG

The clip rounds back at the barrel with clasps from both sides, leaving a small gap in-between.

DSC00378.JPG

Both the posers together. Some measurements for your reference:

• Length: 14.9 cm
  • Diameter: 0.9 cm
  • Weight: 52.5 g
DSC00379.JPG
The weight of the pen along with the knurled grip, make the rapid pros a pleasure to write with. And with the monteverde ceramic gel refills, the rapid pros deliver pro performance.
DSC00381.JPG
Hope you enjoy the review of a ballpoint from a fellow fpner :)

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• MYU

• usk15

• katerchen

A review well done!

Myself and couple of my colleagues just gift the silver one to another good co-worker! In my opinion the pen it should be just a little bit thicker, otherwise all you have said is correct.

Nice review! You should get the matching mechanical pencil to go with the ballpoint. :)

Btw, I have used a Pentel EnerGel refill in a rOtring 600, and I'm thinking it might fit in the Rapid Pro as well. The XLRN3 or XLRN5 (0.3mm, 0.5mm). Terrific refills.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

A review well done!

Myself and couple of my colleagues just gift the silver one to another good co-worker! In my opinion the pen it should be just a little bit thicker, otherwise all you have said is correct.

Thank you usk15 :)

rotring folks tried that, I think. They have made the knurled grip a tad thicker than the barrel itself.

A surprise! A review of a ballpoint :D

Both the posers together. Some measurements for your reference:

• Length: 14.9 cm
  • Diameter: 0.9 cm
  • Weight: 52.5 g

Correction on the weight part.

• Weight: 24.6 g (Matte Black), 25.2 g (Chrome Silver)

Nice review! You should get the matching mechanical pencil to go with the ballpoint. :)

Btw, I have used a Pentel EnerGel refill in a rOtring 600, and I'm thinking it might fit in the Rapid Pro as well. The XLRN3 or XLRN5 (0.3mm, 0.5mm). Terrific refills.

Thanks MYU. Sure the Energel refill should work. My next test-drive is now on energel :D

First thing I did with mine was to exchange the cartridge to a Schmidt 9000.

I must admit : it's a nice writer.

-k

Very nice review, thank you for posting such a detailed review.

I also own the pair of ballpoints, one black, one chrome. The overarching observation I have of mine is the weight and balance, it has a decent heft yet stays reasonably slimline. They feel nice in the hand, part due to the nice quality knurling in the grip section. Still using the supplied refills, no complaints here. The actuating button has a soft click, much softer and smoother than my Parker Jotter.

Thanks again.

Dave.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

Very nice review, thank you for posting such a detailed review.

I also own the pair of ballpoints, one black, one chrome. The overarching observation I have of mine is the weight and balance, it has a decent heft yet stays reasonably slimline. They feel nice in the hand, part due to the nice quality knurling in the grip section. Still using the supplied refills, no complaints here. The actuating button has a soft click, much softer and smoother than my Parker Jotter.

Thanks again.

Dave.

Thanks Dave for sharing your experience with Rapid PRO :D

I do feel the same way :)

Edited by sannidh

Btw, I have used a Pentel EnerGel refill in a rOtring 600, and I'm thinking it might fit in the Rapid Pro as well.

I tried and the tip of Energel is too thick to fit through Rotring Rapid Pro opening.

I tried and the tip of Energel is too thick to fit through Rotring Rapid Pro opening.

Ouch! Real shame to hear this... I'd have thought if the G2 is compatible with both the 600 and Pro, the EnerGel would also work. But I found out why it isn't.

Upon close inspection of the G2 tip on the rOtring 600, you can see a slight gap. It's not noticeable when writing, because there's enough tension from the spring. The tip is pretty well anchored in place and will only move a tiny bit if you push laterally on the tip. The EnerGel has no gap. Totally unmovable. So that must mean the Pro has a slightly more narrow opening.

Oh well. Thanks for checking and letting us know! :thumbup:

Thanks for an excellent review. I notice that TWSBI has a similar model called the Precision. Has anyone tried this pen? The grip section looks quite rough

Thanks for an excellent review. I notice that TWSBI has a similar model called the Precision. Has anyone tried this pen? The grip section looks quite rough

The TWSBI Precision is a very slim pen, perhaps even more so than the RapidPro. And the "knurling" on my silver example offers virtually no help in gripping the barrel. It is an attractive, well built pen, with a decent Parker-type refill. I do not use it much due to the slimness and shape.

WriteAway

• 9 months later...

Same experience as WriteAway for me too. Too slim to get used most of the times. I also found the black coating prone to get off easier than the rotrings

The TWSBI Precision is a very slim pen, perhaps even more so than the RapidPro. And the "knurling" on my silver example offers virtually no help in gripping the barrel. It is an attractive, well built pen, with a decent Parker-type refill. I do not use it much due to the slimness and shape.

WriteAway

Are you still using the original rOtring refill or did you switch to something else?

Incidentally, I picked up the 2mm Rapid Pro pencil (it was on a good sale, hard to resist). Very well made and quite impressive. It looks exactly like the ballpoint. You wouldn't know they were different without touching except for the 2.0 numbers following "PRO".

The knurling change from the 600 is notable. Much finer on the PRO. Do you find it pretty easy to keep yours clean?

Are you still using the original rOtring refill or did you switch to something else?

Incidentally, I picked up the 2mm Rapid Pro pencil (it was on a good sale, hard to resist). Very well made and quite impressive. It looks exactly like the ballpoint. You wouldn't know they were different without touching except for the 2.0 numbers following "PRO".

The knurling change from the 600 is notable. Much finer on the PRO. Do you find it pretty easy to keep yours clean?

I had switched to moteverde ceramic gel refills, never could use the original refill much. they are smooth, wet and pretty well made. Congratulations :), and yes completely agree on the make/looks. Any chances of converting it to a ball point with a spare section?

I recently got a 600 BP(the newer ones from Japan). It feels somewhat (just a tiny bit) lighter and slimmer than the pro but yes it has its charm. sometimes i use a soft wet cloth to wipe the knurled grip (once in 2 months or so), an easy cleaning.

The new 600 unfortunately lacks the color indicator :|

• 3 weeks later...

What is the main difference between the 600 and rapid pro?

Not much, apart from the fact that rapid pro is 2 grams heavier with a plastic section (red one) and feels more substantial than the latest rotring 600 (Both are made in Japan).

IMG_9588.jpg

I think the rOtring's are fabulous, but the metal ones like this and the 600 are too heavy for me.

I wish they made them in aluminum to make it light.

So I use the Tikky's, and they are my EDW's, (Every Day Writer's). I can use them all day all week with no hand fatigue...

...especially thanks to the fact that they use Parker Style refills: Schmidt Easyflow9000's and SXR-600's.