• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gmax

• praxim

• kazoolaw

• Inkyways

Technically it looks like a sensible development, though I'm not sure that it warrants carving the designer's signature on the cap band :unsure:

I'm a big fan of modern Onoto pens, and their nibs are wonderful in my experience, but the price is rather eye-watering for the addition of what amounts to a proprietary converter, albeit a technically advanced one. Does anyone know whether the plunger can be replaced by a cartridge or converter, for instance prior to travel?

Edited by gmax

✒️ :happyberet:

Onoto really needs a single designer: the logo on the cap doesn't match the logo on the clip which doesn't match the engraving on the barrel, none of which coordinates with the signature on the cap band.

I assume the piston converter has gold colored accents because they were left over from another project and not because Onto thought buyers would forget it's marketing this as a Magna with SILVER fittings. But then maybe so, because it thought buyers wouldn't know that the original Magna had a true plunger filler, not a captive converter that requires removal of the barrel.

I do not mind the internal plunger mechanism. I think of it analogously to the switch (for many brands) from integrated to modular piston filler.

The price is a little less eye-watering compared with the "base" Magna Classics after one factors in the extra cost for obtaining a gold nib on the latter.

However, the base Magna Classics are more interesting in appearance, while the points made by Gary show that Onoto has not yet made it to S T Dupont levels of design coherence.

After allowing that this is a limited addition, I have continued to keep my fingers away from the Buy button, especially now that I am fortunate enough to have a second real Magna at lower cost.

X

... now that I am fortunate enough to have a second real Magna at lower cost.

Plunger or Lever filler?

Would love a photo.

Gary, a quick and dirty shot, so sorry about the ghastly lighting. They are both plunge fillers. That is Robert Oster Deep Sea on the Silver ink-visible's nib, it being in current use. Its No 7 nib is duotone where that on the black pen is monotone. Despite the appearance it is well behaved, does not leak other than that surface ink.

fpn_1522711638__onoto_magnas__270_1_of_1

eta: photo is 1024 wide so click on it for a clearer view.

Edited by praxim

X

I didn't know what to call it at the time, but a Magna was my first "grail" pen.

Thank you for sharing your photo of your pens. Enjoy!

gary

p.s.- the ink bottle is not a claim to expertise. it came with an ebay purchase and was the only photo i could upload.

Edited by gary

Lovely pens, Praxim :thumbup:

Are the shoulders of the nib wider than the narrowest part of the section?

Also, is the no. 7 nib on this peens the same size as the modern no. 7?

Forgive my curiosity :rolleyes:

Lovely pens, Praxim :thumbup:

Are the shoulders of the nib wider than the narrowest part of the section?

Also, is the no. 7 nib on this peens the same size as the modern no. 7?

Forgive my curiosity :rolleyes:

Thank you. Under the circumstances, my calipers are at your command. :)

No, despite the visual effect, which is alive when you hold the pen and not just in photos, the nib shoulders are about 85% of the thinnest part of the section just behind the collar; ~8.5 mm and 10 mm respectively.

I can not answer for the modern No. 7 nib directly because I do not have one (avoiding all thoughts of "yet"). Probably better to ask Onoto that one. Having modelled their nib on the old Onoto, they should be aware of any differences.

X

• 4 weeks later...

I offered up erroneous information in #10. After re-measuring, on an original Onoto Magna No 7 nib, the maximum width is more like 9 mm than 10 mm and the minimum 6.5 mm not 8.5 mm, a 72% ratio. On a modern Magna Classic No 7 nib the maximum and minimum visible widths are about 8.25 mm and 6.5 mm, so both have the same neck with the modern pen a little narrower over all; and shorter, about 22.5 mm vs 25 mm for the older one. In fact, the pen body from section lip to end of barrel is about 5 mm shorter as well so the whole thing is a little more compact.

In other gripping news, the modern Magna Classic sets a new record for cap unscrewing, easily trumping my previous champion, a Lamy Imporium, by demanding three and a half turns. The original Magnas needed only one.

The Magna Classic in Blue Pearl is stunning, way beyond the pictures. I am not attempting a photo at present because it seems very unlikely I could chance on something better than done by a professional for Onoto's web page. I have concluded that those three and a half turns are to give you time to admire the pen rolling between your fingertips. :)

Note, this one is a C/C pen, not a modern plunge filler.

X

Thanks again for clarifying this.

… In other gripping news, the modern Magna Classic sets a new record for cap unscrewing ...

Indeed, it's not a pen for quick notes, or even for meetings where frequent capping/uncapping is a feature. A lovely writer though - the nibs are wonderful!

Some pictures of the blue pearl finish would be much appreciated :)

Although I doubt that my photos will do it justice, I intend to put up a short comparison and commentary on four Magnas, two new, two old, in a few weeks, so seek patience until then. The individual pens have already been reviewed a few times so this will be more about differences and experiences and, of course, the eye candy of seeing them all together. :)

X

Why their pens are so expnsive?!

I would understand those brackets for their original filling mechanisms, but for a converter pen...

They are quite expensive!

I suppose it's down to the small production runs, exclusive acrylic materials, well-tuned nibs, and high standard of fit and finish.

I don't claim to understand the economics, but it must be difficult to get salaries for even a handful of staff from a very low volume of pen sales.

They are lovely pens, and a joy to use :)

As promised earlier, here are a couple of photos and comments on Magnas old and new. Each of these pen types has been reviewed before. I have not filled the new ones yet so there is no writing comparison for review.

From the top they are:

• Magna Silver "light visible". This special plastic appears to have been made by De La Rue only around 1937-39, yet the gold band was attached in 1946 (based on its markings) presumably to sell old stock once manufacturing could re-start
  • Magna Classic (i.e. modern Onoto), Yellow, in case you had not noticed.
  • Magna in Black, probably late 1940s. The pen is marked 1873 but has an 18 ct single gold band, indicative of an 1876.
  • Magna Classic (=modern) in Blue Pearl. I can not take a photograph to do justice to the colour of this pen (nor, for that matter, to the Silver).

fpn_1526091359__onoto_magnas__283_1_of_3

The modern Onotos are a shade bulkier than the old, and the Yellow longer. I did not request the added weight option for my modern ones, so the Blue Pearl weighs virtually the same as the old models uncapped, around 13g. Capped, the older pens are 21-22g while the Blue Pearl is near 26g. The yellow is heavier, weighing in at 32g capped and nearly 18g uncapped, thanks to a slightly greater size, more silver attached, and something else to be seen in the next photo.

All four showing filling systems and old and new nibs from above and below.

fpn_1526091387__onoto_magnas__284_3_of_3

Original Magnas have a No 7 nib in 14k gold. Modern Onotos have an 18k nib which is called No 7 and is of very similar dimensions and proportions, made by Bock. None can be faulted for what they are, with the older nibs being softer in use. Visually, the Black's nib is monotone, the others duotone. On a dip test, the modern F nib (in the Blue Pearl) looks about the width of the older nibs while the M in the Yellow feathered badly on Leuchtturm1917. Testing by dipping is not reliable so, not having had the pens in use, there are no writing samples nor comparison.

The 24k gold spring in the Blue Pearl's converter was added by me. I found keyboard springs rated only 45g compression force. The converter itself appears to be a Schmidt K5 with goldy bits. They could take a leaf from S T Dupont's book by engraving Onoto on the converter then selling spares for a few dollars more. The pen is 12/200.

You will have noticed that the Yellow is a modern plunge filler. The pen has exactly the 0.925 silver fittings, with Roger Wolfe's signature, as the black one linked in post #1. On Onoto's site, the yellow is shown as a C/C pen. After I bought the Blue Pearl and moaned about missing a preferred colour, Onoto were kind enough to offer me this combination so I took it, number 10 of 200. If what you want is not on their web site, talk to Emma; she may (or may not) be able to help. Being able to see the plunge filler fill (tested with water) is a little bit cool for some people, e.g. me.

A further difference between old and new is something which I believe says quite a lot about expected usage: cap turns. The two modern Onotos take a full 3.5 turns to remove the cap, easily the most of any pen I own, so it is hardly a pen for intermittent note-taking, more one for slowly removing the cap, signing the contract, then quietly replacing the cap, after which staff have permission to applaud. Alternatively, remove it only to re-write War and Peace or the Iliad before thinking of anything else. In contrast, the Silver Magna takes just one turn and the Black a half. Those are pens designed for workday use despite their positioning at the top of De La Rue / Onoto's price tree at the time.

For current pricing, the modern Yellow and old Silver cost me about the same, the Silver being a fraction more, After that came the Black Magna then the Blue Pearl. Notwithstanding my comparative comment in a previous post in relation to S T Dupont, I am happy with all of them.

eta:click on images for larger views.

Edited by praxim

X

Many thanks for the update Praxim, and for the helpful images showing your lovely collection :)

The new plunger filler appears to be longer that the cc model; this is something that I hadn't previously picked up.

Do you have a feeling for the ink capacity of the plunger filler? It looks as if it may be in the territory of 2ml. I imagine the plunger could encourage me to write more, just for the enjoyment of refilling it :happyberet:

Fill capacity depends a little on how you fill it. The internal plunger mechanism can be driven harder, safely, than an old Onoto plunger, which allows it to draw more ink. If you depress it more slowly then clearly less ink enters the chamber. The fill process once the vacuum seal is broken is quicker than I had expected. Keeping it in the ink for half a second is ample time on this pen and presumably for all Onoto plungers.

It appears to me that the theoretical capacity of the chamber (and feed) is about 2 mL, but you will not get that. A casual fill should pick up at least 1.4-1.5 mL, a normal or brisk fill about 1.6-1.7 mL, topping out at 1.8 mL at best. There is always some air at the top of the chamber.

DLR Onoto's traditional advice was to put the nib in the ink before withdrawing then depressing the piston. I do not put the nib in ink until the piston is withdrawn, positioning it ready to depress smoothly. Testing showed zero difference in fills between the two methods, and the second is more convenient for me (again, applicable to all Onoto plunge fillers).

A final measurement which I made only once, so not reliable, is that after expelling the water (that I was using) the pen still weighed 0.3g above its tare, implying 0.3 mL in the feed and random remaining droplets. The pen had been quite dry when I first obtained its tare weight on the scales.

X