Counterfeit Montblanc Rouge Et Noir Compared To Authentic

Ben W

I recently purchased what the Ebay seller claimed was an authentic Montblanc Rouge et Noir pen that I found to be counterfeit. I then purchased the real thing directly from my local Montblanc store and compared the two (see photo collage ®=the real thing). I though you guys might enjoy seeing the difference even though it was not a fountain pen (it was a rollerball) since I know there are counterfeit versions of the fountain pen out there as well.

Here are my notes on the differences that I submitted to ebay in an attempt to shut the seller down. He used photos directly from the Montblanc web site in his listing:

• All metal on the counterfeit pen is chrome instead of the matte finish on the authentic pen. (photo in eBay listing showed matte metal, but pen delivered did not match listing photo)
  • Snake clip on counterfeit pen is simple chrome while authentic pen features recessed areas that are much darker than than the raised areas. eBay listing text mentioned "aged by a unique galvanic and stripping process" which is what the authentic pen had, but was not found on the counterfeit version sold on eBay (photo in eBay listing showed dark recessed areas, but pen delivered did not match listing photo)
  • Snake clip tail on authentic pen curves upward just before it ends near the top of the pen while counterfeit pen does not curve up. (photo on eBay listing showed snake's tail curving up near end, which does not match the pen I received from seller)
  • Detailing on snake clip was simpler on counterfeit pen, the snakes head is wider and thicker. Counterfeit pen features larger eyes, wider area between the eyes and missing detail below the eyes.
  • The authentic MontBlanc pen features text on the underside of the clip that the counterfeit pen is lacking.
  • The MontBlanc logo and text on the counterfeit pens cap is raised and white. Authentic pens have a recessed logo and text with no coloration added. (photo on eBay listing from seller matches authentic pen. Pen sold to me did not match the photo used in the eBay listing)
  • Counterfeit pen has thin black coating on main barrel that is already flaking off to reveal a gold-colored material underneith. The authentic pen's material cannot be removed by scraping with my fingernail, but the black material on the pen sold on ebay can easily be removed with very light scraping with a fingernail. It started to flake off through normal use and I only used my fingernail because I thought the gold color was something that was stuck to the black (like a mark from a metallic gold sharpie pen) that might be removed with my fingernail... but the black came off instead of the gold!
  • Metal band near rear cap is thicker and chrome on counterfeit pen while authentic pen features a slightly thinner band that has a matte finish.
  • Threaded parts on the counterfeit pen are not interchangable with an authentic pen with the exception of the ink cartridge. The threads are not the same.
  • Even the Rollerball refill that came with the pen looked different than what came with an authentic pen. Japan vs Germany
  • The pen I purchased on eBay matches all the qualities (and the photos) of pens that can be found when searching for the following on google: reproduction OR replica montblanc rouge at noir such as the one found here: http://gavelock.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=1341
  • Seller claimed in his eBay listing that the Item Location was "Wembley, United Kingdom", but he shipped it from Poland and is asking that it be return shipped to Poland.

If you ever think you might have purchased a counterfeit Montblanc, then do not attempt to start a return. Instead look for an option on ebay for items that do not look authentic and that will allow you to pursue things without the time constraints associated with a return. Also, ebay informed me that I should not send the pen through the mail since that is illegal and had me sign a form that indicated that I had destroyed the item before they could process my full refund. Also, you can bring a pen to a Montblanc store and they can send it in for service and they will inform you if it is a counterfeit. I did not do that since my photos and receipt (but had to be signed by a store manager) were enough to convince ebay that the seller had sent me a counterfeit item.

post-107283-0-13501200-1522509176_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben W

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben W

• zaddick

• AndyLogan

• MontblancGeek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Ben for taking the time to post such a lengthy comparison of the real deal vs the fake. It is indeed a very helpful one.

I recently purchased what the Ebay seller claimed was an authentic Montblanc Rouge et Noir pen that I found to be counterfeit. I then purchased the real thing directly from my local Montblanc store and compared the two (see photo collage ®=the real thing). I though you guys might enjoy seeing the difference even though it was not a fountain pen (it was a rollerball) since I know there are counterfeit versions of the fountain pen out there as well.

Here are my notes on the differences that I submitted to ebay in an attempt to shut the seller down. He used photos directly from the Montblanc web site in his listing:

• All metal on the counterfeit pen is chrome instead of the matte finish on the authentic pen. (photo in eBay listing showed matte metal, but pen delivered did not match listing photo)
  • Snake clip on counterfeit pen is simple chrome while authentic pen features recessed areas that are much darker than than the raised areas. eBay listing text mentioned "aged by a unique galvanic and stripping process" which is what the authentic pen had, but was not found on the counterfeit version sold on eBay (photo in eBay listing showed dark recessed areas, but pen delivered did not match listing photo)
  • Snake clip tail on authentic pen curves upward just before it ends near the top of the pen while counterfeit pen does not curve up. (photo on eBay listing showed snake's tail curving up near end, which does not match the pen I received from seller)
  • Detailing on snake clip was simpler on counterfeit pen, the snakes head is wider and thicker. Counterfeit pen features larger eyes, wider area between the eyes and missing detail below the eyes.
  • The authentic MontBlanc pen features text on the underside of the clip that the counterfeit pen is lacking.
  • The MontBlanc logo and text on the counterfeit pens cap is raised and white. Authentic pens have a recessed logo and text with no coloration added. (photo on eBay listing from seller matches authentic pen. Pen sold to me did not match the photo used in the eBay listing)
  • Counterfeit pen has thin black coating on main barrel that is already flaking off to reveal a gold-colored material underneith. The authentic pen's material cannot be removed by scraping with my fingernail, but the black material on the pen sold on ebay can easily be removed with very light scraping with a fingernail. It started to flake off through normal use and I only used my fingernail because I thought the gold color was something that was stuck to the black (like a mark from a metallic gold sharpie pen) that might be removed with my fingernail... but the black came off instead of the gold!
  • Metal band near rear cap is thicker and chrome on counterfeit pen while authentic pen features a slightly thinner band that has a matte finish.
  • Threaded parts on the counterfeit pen are not interchangable with an authentic pen with the exception of the ink cartridge. The threads are not the same.
  • Even the Rollerball refill that came with the pen looked different than what came with an authentic pen. Japan vs Germany
  • The pen I purchased on eBay matches all the qualities (and the photos) of pens that can be found when searching for the following on google: reproduction OR replica montblanc rouge at noir such as the one found here: http://gavelock.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=1341
  • Seller claimed in his eBay listing that the Item Location was "Wembley, United Kingdom", but he shipped it from Poland and is asking that it be return shipped to Poland.

If you ever think you might have purchased a counterfeit Montblanc, then do not attempt to start a return. Instead look for an option on ebay for items that do not look authentic and that will allow you to pursue things without the time constraints associated with a return. Also, ebay informed me that I should not send the pen through the mail since that is illegal and had me sign a form that indicated that I had destroyed the item before they could process my full refund. Also, you can bring a pen to a Montblanc store and they can send it in for service and they will inform you if it is a counterfeit. I did not do that since my photos and receipt (but had to be signed by a store manager) were enough to convince ebay that the seller had sent me a counterfeit item.

I applaud your effort, this is indeed insightful. Hopefully the ebay seller gets shut down.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...