The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Anatomy Of A Esterbrook Button Filler

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2018 - 14:57

I intended only to pop this in the "English pens" area, but thought it might also be of interest here.

The Esterbrook Relief 2S is quiet a rare beast even this side of the Atlantic, and thus I have never been called upon to repair this internal filling system before. Picture 1, shows the dissassembled pen, with the rather unusual pressure bar system the focus of picture 2 (This was in pieces when I accessed the pen, and thus not working).

For completion, Pic 3 & 4 show the finished item.

26264960987_0071659c39_o.jpg

26264960767_56fcdbb271_o.jpg

40241564365_79594d611f_o.jpg

40241564155_f534c70948_o.jpg  

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 17:44

Interesting picture.  What lengths pen manufacturers would go to, to avoid having to pay a patent royalty....

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2018 - 21:29

Interesting picture.  What lengths pen manufacturers would go to, to avoid having to pay a patent royalty....

What I do in my day job is high-volume imaging systems.  One company also happens to own the core scanner drivers.  Their competition has spent nearly 20 years building components to get around paying those same sort of license fees.

Yeah, companies will walk the ends of the earth to avoid paying a competitor a single farthing.

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2018 - 21:33

So, to the pen itself...

How does this work?  It looks like an odd variant of the Parker Duofold with the hanging pressure bar.  Does that threaded holder mount from the inside, and get held by a nut of some sort?  

#5 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:57

So, to the pen itself...

How does this work?  It looks like an odd variant of the Parker Duofold with the hanging pressure bar.  Does that threaded holder mount from the inside, and get held by a nut of some sort?  

My immediate thought was also the Parker hanging bar.

The operational bar is held in place firmly by two bent lugs, so cannot be removed with the ease of the Parker system.

The threaded holder screws into the base of the barrel, there is nothing required to be attached from the otherside to keep it in place.

I used the screwdriver with the homemake U shaped end that I would normally use for secfuring the nut when fitting a Conway clip stud (I hope that makes sense).  This was awkward, but allowed the holder to be screwed / unscrewed without further damaging the central hanging bar.

The whole works very effectively, but it does seem to be a fine case of over engineering.   

#6 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,605 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:39

So, who made these pens? I was under the impression that Esterbrook only made the nibs and someone else made the pens, at least for the English Relief pens. 

In the trove of late Esterbrook stuff I recently found it's mentioned several times that Esterbrook didn't actually make any fountain pens themselves until 1931. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#7 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2018 - 15:08

So, who made these pens?  

This would have been made by Conway Stewart, I have also seen a small number of CS pens that used this same button filling system, however I had never needed to dismantle one before.

Sponsored Content

|