Asc Ogiva Le Confusion

Fatalpotato

Hi everyone I'm still at the fairly early stages of learning to use FPN so if anythings out of place don't hesitate to warn me.

With that warning out of the way, I have a question about a pen I got some time ago. It's called Armando Simoni Club Ogiva Green Saft Pavarotti LE(what a mouthful name :)) and there's supposed to be 70 pens total out there. Mine is the 11th of the series and arrived with a bb omas nib. I later learned that all pens in this series was supposed to arrive with the magic flex nib available in other asc and modern wahl offerings. I enjoy the pens from the asc company until now as they are offering nice pens at reasonable prices. I would like to learn how is it that I got this pen with a non official nib when buying brand new.( not that I don't like it, the pen and nib is very nice and I really enjoy using it) For a side note, I bought this pen from Chatterley luxuries, and the purchase was handled wonderfully as always. Also, I'm wondering if asc will resurrect the omas brand or will they pursue a different path?

Thanks for sparing the time, and comments are really appreciated.

Here is a picture of the pen:

post-136445-0-78374300-1522400920_thumb.jpg

And the front profile of the nib:

post-136445-0-28788800-1522400962_thumb.jpg

And finally the side profile of the nib:

post-136445-0-92272900-1522400998_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fatalpotato

• sansenri

• kazoolaw

• Bisquitlips

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know the precise answer either, but believe that ASC is acting a bit like Bespoke Pens with Conway Stewart, i.e. they have bought Omas stock of materials and are putting together Omas model pens with the stock.

Since they may not have access to all the formerly used materials they may need to gradually use different materials, so for example your Ogiva is using the Saft celluloid but not the rings with the Omas greek motif.

The omas nib on your pen, with the capital O is probably made by Bock.

If I recall only the omas nibs with the small o were made by Omas itself (although there are some debates on this).

The omas nibs were softer (more flex) the Omas nibs are more rigid.

The BB nib you have is quite a lovely nib though (not many around I assume).

On a BB nib I would not worry much about flex, although being 18k (if I can read correct) it should still have a mild springyness vs steel that you can feel when writing, i.e. avoiding the nail effect. All in all a very nice pen (I have a regular Omas Ogiva saft green and the celluloid is fantastic).

I do not know how to answer your question, but a factory BB Omas nib seems the best you could get!

I don't know the precise answer either, but believe that ASC is acting a bit like Bespoke Pens with Conway Stewart, i.e. they have bought Omas stock of materials and are putting together Omas model pens with the stock.

Since they may not have access to all the formerly used materials they may need to gradually use different materials, so for example your Ogiva is using the Saft celluloid but not the rings with the Omas greek motif.

The omas nib on your pen, with the capital O is probably made by Bock.

If I recall only the omas nibs with the small o were made by Omas itself (although there are some debates on this).

The omas nibs were softer (more flex) the Omas nibs are more rigid.

The BB nib you have is quite a lovely nib though (not many around I assume).

On a BB nib I would not worry much about flex, although being 18k (if I can read correct) it should still have a mild springyness vs steel that you can feel when writing, i.e. avoiding the nail effect. All in all a very nice pen (I have a regular Omas Ogiva saft green and the celluloid is fantastic).

Thanks for the information and the nib is very lovely as you guys suggested though it actually has quite a bit of give compared to my paragons from early 90s. I didn't know the difference between ''Omas'' and ''omas''. Thanks for the heads up there

Nice pen.

My first response to questions like yours is "What did your seller say when you asked him?" It "him" advisedly because Bryan at Chatterley is a first class seller.

gary

Nice pen.

My first response to questions like yours is "What did your seller say when you asked him?" It "him" advisedly because Bryan at Chatterley is a first class seller.

gary

I actually bought this pen together with another bb omas pen so I think he sent this one with this nib because I asked for a bb nib in general, but I don't know he managed to changed the nib if it was him anyways. Anyway, I'm really happy with what I got :)

that must have been it, I am quite sure that Bryan would have swapped the nib if you had asked him, but if that was time ago he may not have those nibs any more.

A well reputed pen seller actually told me when these nibs came out that the new Omas flex nibs were far too soft (like melted butter, he said) and nothing like the vintage flex Omas, I did in fact not venture into getting one.

So you may actually have been lucky (although I am judging something I have not tried...)

that must have been it, I am quite sure that Bryan would have swapped the nib if you had asked him, but if that was time ago he may not have those nibs any more.

A well reputed pen seller actually told me when these nibs came out that the new Omas flex nibs were far too soft (like melted butter, he said) and nothing like the vintage flex Omas, I did in fact not venture into getting one.

So you may actually have been lucky (although I am judging something I have not tried...)

I don't know if its the same nib on the modern decobands but if it is I got lucky because I really don't enjoy the nib on my decoband. Although I'm fascinated with large nibs(the one on decoband seems to be a lot bigger than a regular #8 nib) this one feels mushy and I'd enjoy the pen a lot more if it was fitted with one of the good old w/e vintage nibs :)

• 4 months later...

Gorgeous pen! My compliments!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Wow, that's a lovely Omas nib, I just recieved my ASC Ogiva Arco brown Pavarotti, it came with the Magic Flex nib, not really flex though, just a bit soft, very smooth, it's supposed to be a bit smaller than the ASC Bologna Extra nib, but still, I think I would prefer an Omas nib instead of the ASC Magic Flex but that's just me.

Cheers,

Luis A.