Best Twsbi Model?

steveycrow

Hi all.

I have a clear TWSBI 580 Diamond with F nib (I think - don't have it to hand but the line of ink it lays down is very fine) and I just love it. It's smooth. I mean really smooth. It's price is stupid low for how well this writes. I'd say it easily matches my Lamy Safari for value for money.

When I saw it in a photo on a website, I didn't think it looked that great, but I'd read really positive reviews about these pens so bought one anyway online and once it was in my hand, I thought it just looked awesome. It's so different to any other pen I own. Very futuristic. Maybe not as refined aesthetically as my Lamy 2000, bit it's definitely not a "traditional" look!

It's my daily pen at present. I take it out with me knowing if it gets lost or bashed and broken, it is at least replaceable without having to remortgage my home!

But most of all, in terms of writing experience, for the money, it's just great. It's up there with my more expensive pens. Easily so.

Anyway, since I am so taken by the 580, is this the best model I can buy or would you recommend other TWSBI models as even better? Or should I just stick with this body and buy different nibs?

Cheers. 😊

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• Torrilin

• steveycrow

• Joarder

I don't think there is a "best" TWSBI model. I happen to also like the 580 best, but some people like the Eco best, other the Vac 700r.

I do think I like the 580AL a little better then the standard models but it's not that much different.

I don't think there is a "best" TWSBI model. I happen to also like the 580 best, but some people like the Eco best, other the Vac 700r.

I do think I like the 580AL a little better then the standard models but it's not that much different.

Thanks. I'll take a look at the AL.

Chinese are churning out piston filler demonstrators by the masses. But they're still a bit behind on the vacuum fillers. I own a Caliarts Ego and it's every bit as good or even better than the TWSBI piston fillers. However, the Vac700R is a completely different animal. I love mine.

The 580 and the eco feel very similar in the hand. Ink capacity is very similar too. The eco maybe isn’t as pretty, but aesthetic taste varies. There’s visual aspects to the eco that may suit better than a 580. The solid color cap options mean you don’t have to fuss as much with cap cleaning. And the seamless feel to the cap jewel is nice.

The major practical difference between the two pens is the swappable nibs on the 580. Useful feature, and it means you can use the TWSBI bottle for minimal mess refills in theory. Also makes a 580 great for ink samples. It can also make cleaning a bit easier, so an eco might work better dedicated to a particular ink.

Which is better? Dunno. I really couldn’t pick just one, because the eco is $20 cheaper and that’s what a spare 580 nib unit costs... my understanding is the Classic is very similar in feel to them as well. So there’s 3 different takes on an idea.

I haven’t used a 700R but it seems a bit different. Bigger, heavier, more complex filling mechanism, even huger ink tank. I’m pretty sure the ink tank won’t be the deciding factor tho for anyone. TWSBI’s smaller pens already dwarf the capacity of most pens.

The 580 and the eco feel very similar in the hand.

I don't like the feel on my Eco's section. The 580 is more comfortable to me. I hold closer to the nib and the triangle flare at the nib bothers my fingers. The metal collar on the 580 does not.

I own 10 TWSBI fountain pens. They were affordable when I first got started. I have several 530, 540, Mini Classics and a VAC 700. My favorites are the Micartas. great nib and love the material.

IMG_0659-XL.jpg

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I don't like the feel on my Eco's section. The 580 is more comfortable to me. I hold closer to the nib and the triangle flare at the nib bothers my fingers. The metal collar on the 580 does not.

Yeah I just cross checked, and I hold muuuuuch further up, almost on the threads. Sometimes even up past ‘em, depends on how I’m drawing. But the weight is similar, and the overall size. At least with the regular 580, I haven’t tried the Al. I can’t easily tell the difference between them if I’m just grabbing blind.

The triangle flares definitely can be an issue on the eco, but it’s not as dire as say a Lamy Safari’s grip where there’s a big grip section and the whole thing is shaped. Tho I can definitely see if you’re RIGHT on top of the flares they can definitely jab in uncomfortable places. And it could be worse than a safari since the flare edges are rather pointy. I’m sure if the flares bugged me I’d figure out a way to tell the pens apart quick.