Is Lamy Blue Ink Really This Awful?

pitonyak

My experience with Lamy Blue ink is that it goes down fairly dark, but fades pretty significantly over the next few days.

I don’t much care for the ink, but Lamy pens - and especially my Dialog 3 - are tuned well for it in terms of flow.

Actually, Lamy Blue doesn't fade that quick. I used over two bottles and more than 20 cartridges. I still have some notes which are taken more than five years and the writing is still very vivid. It didn't fade a bit in a closed notebook. I have some notes taken over post-it notes which stay put on my corkboard, and in two years they have faded, albeit not significantly and all letters are still perfectly legible.

Lamy's inks are improved a lot in the recent years, especially the blue-black. I don't think they deserve to be *this* infamous. Yes they are not the most vivid, permanent or fluid inks, but they are very good overall and real workhorses. Their blue is the best washable ink I've seen. It just self-destructs in water without being watery or washed out.

Edited by bayindirh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitonyak

• ErrantSmudge

• AL01

• bayindirh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can purchase Lamy nibs separately, including the stub nibs, and swap them into a pen you already own (except the 2000). The nibs are designed to be easily swapped.

Good point.... Goulet has a set of three on the wider ones if I want to give them a try.... In my next order I will do that.

Actually, Lamy Blue doesn't fade that quick. I used over two bottles and more than 20 cartridges. I still have some notes which are taken more than five years and the writing is still very vivid. It didn't fade a bit in a closed notebook. I have some notes taken over post-it notes which stay put on my corkboard, and in two years they have faded, albeit not significantly and all letters are still perfectly legible.

This is not my experience. I have class notebooks, with pages written in Lamy Blue, that faded significantly within weeks after initial writing. The writing is still legible, but hardly inviting to look at.

This is not my experience. I have class notebooks, with pages written in Lamy Blue, that faded significantly within weeks after initial writing. The writing is still legible, but hardly inviting to look at.

Strange. With what pen and the nib size are you writing with?

Strange. With what pen and the nib size are you writing with?

Hi Bayindirh, et al,

It's not all that strange to me, either... pick any pen/nib combination you like... Lamy Blue is a pale, sickly, washed-out blue with absolutely no depth or verve.

The only good thing I can think to say about it is that it's erasable,... but then,... so are Quink "Permanent" Blue and Waterman Serenity Blue and they're both much richer blues. :thumbup:

The only thing I question about ES's remarks is that for me, Lamy Blue doesn't take weeks to fade; it looks like a "has-been" right away. :lol:

- Anthony

Hi Bayindirh, et al,

It's not all that strange to me, either... pick any pen/nib combination you like... Lamy Blue is a pale, sickly, washed-out blue with absolutely no depth or verve.

The only good thing I can think to say about it is that it's erasable,... but then,... so are Quink "Permanent" Blue and Waterman Serenity Blue and they're both much richer blues. :thumbup:

The only thing I question about ES's remarks is that for me, Lamy Blue doesn't take weeks to fade; it looks like a "has-been" right away. :lol:

- Anthony

As I said, I've used more than two bottles and 20 cartridges of said liquid, and my notes are both vivid and unfaded even after five years. Will pop open a new cartridge tonight and will test it. This is really strange.

Addendum: I will even buy new cartridges today to test their latest batch.

Edited by bayindirh

This could well be a paper issues. What do you usually use Bayindirh and Errantsmudge? Lamy blue is definitely peely-wally (Scottish) in my experience, but I'd be interested to learn is certain papers might work better . . . .

Cheers,

Ralf

As I said, I've used more than two bottles and 20 cartridges of said liquid, and my notes are both vivid and unfaded even after five years. Will pop open a new cartridge tonight and will test it. This is really strange.

Addendum: I will even buy new cartridges today to test their latest batch.

Hi, again, Bayindirh,

Don't spend your money on this account... we all perceive things differently... based on a broad range of varying life experiences.

If you're satisfied with it... that's all that counts... and you're not alone... or Lamy wouldn't be making it. Just be happy you found a blue you like, that works well for you. :thumbup:

As for me,... my favorite blue is... :unsure: ... I'll get back to you on that. :unsure:

:D

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Hi, again, Bayindirh,

Don't spend your money on this account... we all perceive things differently... based on a broad range of varying life experiences.

If you're satisfied with it... that's all that counts... and you're not alone... or Lamy wouldn't be making it. Just be happy you found a blue you like, that works well for you. :thumbup:

As for me,... my favorite blue is... :unsure: ... I'll get back to you on that. :unsure:

:D

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I didn't feel offended, and since it was much difference between reports, I genuinely wanted to investigate the issue. I'm in the process of consuming my last cartridges and my last box of Lamy Blue is next. In fact, I will just open the new box one or two days before than I planned.

So there's no harm or hard feelings, just deep curiosity.

I have too many blues that I like, and I possibly have stocks for a lifetime.

Be well too,

Regards,

Hakan

Edit: I type fast, and emoticons are left behind during the process, sorry :)

Edited by bayindirh

Hi Hakan,

Check... and double-check. :thumbup:

No offense taken. :)

- Anthony

• 1 year later...

The cartridge that came with my Lamy Studio puts out a saturated dark blue with a touch of purple color.

I have the same experience with a cartridge in an ABC that I outfitted with a stock Lamy 1.1 italic. The ink and the pen work really well together, with a rich flow and subtle shading. On bad, absorbent paper, Lamy Blue is one of the few inks that seems to stay on top of the page with zero feathering. The only other inks I’ve seen that behave as well as Lamy Blue on bad paper are Sailor kiwaguro and Platinum Blue-Black and those are rather expensive, waterproof inks.

Lamy blue is one of those old washable ink formulations that although not highly saturated is very mild on pens and is usually a trouble free ink that can be used without concerns also in vintage pens.

Lamy Blue is REALLY REALLY REALLY dry.

Use it on a gusher, and then you can enjoy it....

(My profile pic has writing made with Lamy Blue. I actually enjoy using it on my 140.)

That is because, much like Pelikan Royal blue, it's low content in additives, and does behave better in larger nibs and heavy flow pens.

In wetter/broader nibs it also shades rather nicely.

In short: Yes, this is normal for Lamy blue ink, as well as Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, as both are in fact washable blue inks and behave accordingly, i.e. washed out look, not at all saturated, and prone to fading. Excellent for school kids, but beyond that it's a matter of taste.

That's correct. That said it can be a nice ink, particularly when it evaporates slightly in the bottle, it can then be rather dark but still has shading.

I don't necessarily dislike the fading effect at times. It is also paper dependent.

As others have said, Lamy Blue isn't a bad ink. It tends toward the drier side and isn't very saturated - it is a softer blue. But if you have a wet pen, preferably a medium or broader, Lamy Blue is an acceptable ink. I have a Lamy Studio with 18K medium nib and it is a nicely wet pen. Lamy Blue works find in it. But, if I put it in one of my pens with a F or EF nib, that is when I will have issues.

When I travel, I sometimes take several of my Lamy Safaris and Al-Stars (medium, broad and stub nibs) and will take Lamy cartridges in a variety of colors. They work fairly well.

My experience also. I usually prefer Royal blue to it, but Lamy blue can get darker if evaporated slightly.

Both are fuss free inks, they don't clog your pen, don't cause hard starts, are usually very reliable/predictable. I use them when travelling too!

I believe that the formulations of Pelikan Royal blue, Lamy blue, Parker Quink and few others are probably extremely similar (using the same dye).

I have used Royal blue (and Lamy in alternative) since I was a child and although today I certainly use also other inks when I want more saturation, I know how it behaves and am still rather fond of it, including it's colour shade.

Lamy blue is one of those old washable ink formulations that although not highly saturated is very mild on pens and is usually a trouble free ink that can be used without concerns also in vintage pens.

That is because, much like Pelikan Royal blue, it's low content in additives, and does behave better in larger nibs and heavy flow pens.

In wetter/broader nibs it also shades rather nicely.

That's correct. That said it can be a nice ink, particularly when it evaporates slightly in the bottle, it can then be rather dark but still has shading.

I don't necessarily dislike the fading effect at times. It is also paper dependent.

My experience also. I usually prefer Royal blue to it, but Lamy blue can get darker if evaporated slightly.

Both are fuss free inks, they don't clog your pen, don't cause hard starts, are usually very reliable/predictable. I use them when travelling too!

I believe that the formulations of Pelikan Royal blue, Lamy blue, Parker Quink and few others are probably extremely similar (using the same dye).

I have used Royal blue (and Lamy in alternative) since I was a child and although today I certainly use also other inks when I want more saturation, I know how it behaves and am still rather fond of it, including it's colour shade.

How does 4001 Royal Blue compare to Lamy Blue?

(I have used 4001 Brilliant Black extensively, but I have virtually no experience with Royal Blue.)

Just stepping in here to say I suspect that Lamy has changed their formula for the blue ink in recent years, because I have had it both ways: the pale, washed out, sickly blue that either looks like faded periwinkle right away, or within 3 days. And I have had deep, saturated, rich royal blue with red sheening that has not yet faded, even on non-Tomoe-River paper.

Either I got some super-saturated cartridges that had time magic worked onto them to fundamentally change the formula of the ink when I bought some new pens, or they changed their ink formula in the last 2-3 years. I suppose I could write the company and ask, but... I'm kind of hoping someone will do a modern Lamy Blue review in the ink forums at some point in time.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

And I have had deep, saturated, rich royal blue with red sheening that has not yet faded...

That sounds like what’s coming out of my cartridges.

Any chance the cartridge and bottle formula are slightly different? unsure.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Hi folks,

I've noticed a substantial change in Lamy blue recently. The photo is from a bottle I got recently. Have a look at it expanded. That is a LOVELY blue. It was written using a 2K with a good flowing but EF nib . . .

Ralf

post-15990-0-89828300-1559596238_thumb.jpeg

A recent change in Lamy inks has been reported here on FPN and on several review sites over the past few months. Lamy Blue Black seems to be slightly redder toned lately, and far less washed out than it used to be. And their standard black actually looks black (as opposd to grey).

Several pen stores (that are unaffiliated with each other) that I've visited since January have been using Lamy Blue Black as their tester inks, and in each case when I've commented that I'm surprised that the stores are showcasing their high-end merchandise with what has usually been thought of as a rather "blah" ink, the retailers have each remarked that they seemed to notice that the colour has improved recently.

(oh, just to clarify: It hasn't been Lamy itself that has reported that the inks have changed. Rather, several users here on FPN and on several review sites have commented that the colours seeemed to have changed).