The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Modified Ahab Breather Tube Needed

ahab breather tube frankenpen help modifications

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:26

I need a new breather tube for a frankenpen I am modifying. It needs to fit in the Ahab feed but has to be longer than the typical Ahab tube. Does anyone have suggestions for where I can get appropriate tubes/tubing?

Sponsored Content

#2 ASCIIaardvark

ASCIIaardvark

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 22:06

I got some that was allegedly the same outer-diameter as the Ahab tube (which I measured with a caliper)... but the new tube falls right out. I got it on Amazon but it's no longer available.

It might work if you glue it in place? It's softer than the Ahab tube.

If you find one that works better, PLEASE post -- people keep losing/kinking those and asking for how to get a replacement but the only way I've found is to ask the Noodler's distributer (they don't know where to get one, but they have replacements). 

What's the frankenpen project? Sounds interesting :)

Edited by ASCIIaardvark, 29 March 2018 - 22:06.

#3 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 22:24

What's the frankenpen project? Sounds interesting :)

I have a working Stylomine 303 (with the accordian sac) but its feed and nib have significant damage. I pulled out and tried the nibs and feeds of a few pens I have and found that the combination of a Nemosine nib and an Ahab feed fits and works. However, the tube I have with the Stylomine is too big in diameter and the Ahab tube is short enough that it could get caught on the sac (and potentially damage it). I also recently found out that the cap and body of this pen are from two different Stylomine 303 models, so it's technically already a kind of frankenpen. 

#4 BrassRatt

BrassRatt

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:34

Could you use the Ahab tube and slip a slightly larger tube over the end of it to extend it? 

#5 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2018 - 16:42

So I found a solution to this. I enlarged the breather tube hole in the Ahab feed so it could fit the tube I had. Seems to work decently now.

#6 Morphling27

Morphling27

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 20:42

What I'd like to know, what monster creation are you making that needs a longer tube?  It's not like an excessive length, but pretty on par with any pen I know that uses a breather tube.  

#7 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 19:07

What I'd like to know, what monster creation are you making that needs a longer tube?  It's not like an excessive length, but pretty on par with any pen I know that uses a breather tube.  

Basically, I have a large accordian sac fill pen. If the breather tube doesn't clear the sac, it can catched on it and potentially damage it (the accordian sac system is somewhat delicate). 

#8 Morphling27

Morphling27

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 22:08

Basically, I have a large accordian sac fill pen. If the breather tube doesn't clear the sac, it can catched on it and potentially damage it (the accordian sac system is somewhat delicate). 

Gotcha.  I hope it turns out well, I know pictures to show us all would be appreciated when it's finished.

#9 em_the_pen

em_the_pen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2018 - 22:20

Here are some pictures of the finished product. Works pretty well.  :D

Attached Images

• 20180331_131501_resized.jpg
  • 20180403_171423_resized.jpg
  • 20180403_171449_resized.jpg
  • 20180403_171520_resized.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ahab, breather tube, frankenpen, help, modifications

Sponsored Content

|