The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vintage Singapore Hero 166 12K Nib/pics - Any Info? Got One?

hero 12k vintage 166 166

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzie

Buzzie

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2018 - 21:34

Just bought vintage Singapore Hero 12K nib at eBay. Searches on Google and Fountain Pen Network no ret. urn. If you own one or know anything at all about them, I'd enjoy boosting my learning curve hero 166-3.JPG hero 166.jpg Hero 166 nib.jpg

Attached Images

• hero 166 nib.JPG

Edited by Buzzie, 28 March 2018 - 21:56.

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

Sponsored Content

#2 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:33

If I recall it right, the 166 use a nib that's basically profiled the same as that of the Hero 200 ( same as Parker 75 ) but it was finished dual tone 12K, the pen was released way back 2000 and the nib should had that stamped on it ; also typically the nib is of a wider grind than the nominal F; its not clear but the photo seems to show the finishing still basically clean and that's a good news as this model had known to be prone to surface finishing scratched and corrosion ( except for the Black Lacquered version ). I am not sure if this sample is any different but I recall the one I used to came across had the word " HERO 166 " in raised relief on the barrel center trim ring but not the 12K text shown but I might not had seen all the variation. The Hero Logo should be also stamped on the top of the clip and in again raised relief on the top of the cap finial.

AFAIK, this is not a popular model and was not a success either as far as sales goes. Even for its days its considered a bit gaudy.

#3 Buzzie

Buzzie

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:41

Aloha - Thank you for such a complete description. You really did a good job! I'll be careful of the finish. I'll enjoy it a lot more with the background that you provided. - Aloha -  Buzzie 

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

#4 Tefolium

Tefolium

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:52

It seems to be Lishui branch's product, while the gold nib was from Shanghai Hero.

#5 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:37

It seems to be Lishui branch's product, while the gold nib was from Shanghai Hero.

That could be a possibility, though all the 166 I do came across was all clearly branded " HERO "

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hero, 12k, vintage 166, 166

Sponsored Content

|