Vintage Singapore Hero 166 12K Nib/pics - Any Info? Got One?

Buzzie

Just bought vintage Singapore Hero 12K nib at eBay. Searches on Google and Fountain Pen Network no ret. urn. If you own one or know anything at all about them, I'd enjoy boosting my learning curve post-59195-0-59774500-1522272579.jpgpost-59195-0-73621600-1522272532.jpgpost-59195-0-65033300-1522272476.jpg

post-59195-0-58376400-1522274148_thumb.jpg

Edited by Buzzie

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buzzie

• Mech-for-i

• Tefolim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I recall it right, the 166 use a nib that's basically profiled the same as that of the Hero 200 ( same as Parker 75 ) but it was finished dual tone 12K, the pen was released way back 2000 and the nib should had that stamped on it ; also typically the nib is of a wider grind than the nominal F; its not clear but the photo seems to show the finishing still basically clean and that's a good news as this model had known to be prone to surface finishing scratched and corrosion ( except for the Black Lacquered version ). I am not sure if this sample is any different but I recall the one I used to came across had the word " HERO 166 " in raised relief on the barrel center trim ring but not the 12K text shown but I might not had seen all the variation. The Hero Logo should be also stamped on the top of the clip and in again raised relief on the top of the cap finial.

AFAIK, this is not a popular model and was not a success either as far as sales goes. Even for its days its considered a bit gaudy.

Aloha - Thank you for such a complete description. You really did a good job! I'll be careful of the finish. I'll enjoy it a lot more with the background that you provided. - Aloha - Buzzie

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

It seems to be Lishui branch's product, while the gold nib was from Shanghai Hero.

It seems to be Lishui branch's product, while the gold nib was from Shanghai Hero.

That could be a possibility, though all the 166 I do came across was all clearly branded " HERO "

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files