Sailor Inks

dowlf

I started off my ink obsession with a wide array of Noodler's and a few Pilot Iroshizuku inks. I was quite content with my collection and enjoyed Dark Matter, Heart of Darkness and Shin-Kai as some of my favorites.

For some reason I had the compulsion to get a bottle of Sailor Kiwa-Guro. I was amazed at how smooth it made my pen write. Long story short I now own the following Sailor inks: Miruai, Oku-yama, Shigure, Sei-boku, Doyou and Bungbox 4B.

There is no question that these have become my favorite inks. They are all well behaved and the colors are amazing.

One other thing that I know makes me weird, but I like the way they smell. It is an odd smell, but I like it.

I look forward to trying more Sailor inks in the future.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• rudyhou

• pepsiplease69

• Mew

Kiwa-guro and 4B are excellent. I have not seen anything that comes even close to these inks.

I love the smell too. Namiki inks have a nice smell too.

You werent doing too bad for starters with shin-kai, thats an awesome ink as well.

Theres such a rich ecosystem of inks out there, a plethora of inks to explore. Makes it very fun.

Indeed, Sailor inks are amazing, love them.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

• 2 weeks later...

ah, you're hooked on Sailor inks like the many of us. i too have several colours of Sailor inks, but my current favourite is their KurumaEbi brown ink produced for the Kingdom Note shop in Tokyo (i'm a fan of brown inks).

-rudy-

While we all look for various qualities, in inks, to suit specific pens, Sailor--for me--has been the best across the board.

Amazing in every pen I use it in. I have 80 or 90 bottles of Sailor inks not only for the writing experience it provides, but the range of unique hues is vast. I look forward to seeing your Sailor bottles grow.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Oku-Yama is gorgeous in my Pelikan M150 with 1.0 nib. I've also got Storia Night Blue. Solid blue.

Peace and Understanding

While we all look for various qualities, in inks, to suit specific pens, Sailor--for me--has been the best across the board.

Amazing in every pen I use it in. I have 80 or 90 bottles of Sailor inks not only for the writing experience it provides, but the range of unique hues is vast. I look forward to seeing your Sailor bottles grow.

:yikes: 80-90 bottles??... :notworthy1:

Edited by rudyhou

-rudy-

:yikes: 80-90 bottles??... :notworthy1:

Wait until Mew gets here. They have like 380 bottles, most of them Sailor. 😎

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Wait until Mew gets here. They have like 380 bottles, most of them Sailor. 😎

*253 bottles of sailor

21 bottles from other brands

I've fallen a bit behind in sailor ink acquisition as I no longer actively look for newly launched colours, most of them are pastel colours which don't interest me. I like saturated inks. :)

Also, maybe Saskia and Sam_Capote have more sailor inks than I do.

*253 bottles of sailor

21 bottles from other brands

I've fallen a bit behind in sailor ink acquisition as I no longer actively look for newly launched colours, most of them are pastel colours which don't interest me. I like saturated inks. :)

Also, maybe Saskia and Sam_Capote have more sailor inks than I do.

:o ... :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

i don't know how you can keep up. not only they keep adding new colors for Japan market at various shops, i recently discovered they now also supply to shops in Taiwan.

Edited by rudyhou

-rudy-

:o ... :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

i don't know how you can keep up. not only they keep adding new colors for Japan market at various shops, i recently discovered they now also supply to shops in Taiwan.

I only collect what is supplied for shops in Japan, not outside.

Also, I have only one Bungbox ink: seiya silent night.

I'll be very honest: it does involve a rather large amount of money, willingness at your end to pursue this and time. You may have to go out of your way to get some inks, spend more on transportation than on the actual ink and a few other things.

I only collect what is supplied for shops in Japan, not outside.

Also, I have only one Bungbox ink: seiya silent night.

I'll be very honest: it does involve a rather large amount of money, willingness at your end to pursue this and time. You may have to go out of your way to get some inks, spend more on transportation than on the actual ink and a few other things.

Is there a specific reason as to why? E.g. do you think (or maybe know) that the quality is different?

Is there a specific reason as to why? E.g. do you think (or maybe know) that the quality is different?

Both are made by sailor so quality should be same. But from the starting the aim was to collect Japanese shop exclusive sailor inks.

Both are made by sailor so quality should be same. But from the starting the aim was to collect Japanese shop exclusive sailor inks.

I see! I'd say that's best for your wallet, time & effort, makes it a bit easier overall ;)

I may be coming a convert to Sailor ink after building a stable of Iroshizuku ink. I got a Sailor pen and discovered Iro ink made this pen slightly more scratchy than with Jentle Blue. I may enact a buying hold on Iro inks until I sort things out. I now have a bottle of Rikyu-Cha on the way.

That's the dream! :D

More like a nightmare.

What do you do with that much ink?

Where do you store it?

Do you plan to use it all or just hoarding for the sake of hoarding?

Im not saying this to judge. I have tons of sailor ink too.

When they temporarily discontinued Epinard and Sky High, I ran out and bought 9-10 bottles of each.

But now I realize it was a big mistake.

Ive sobered up quite a lot after that.

More like a nightmare.

1) What do you do with that much ink?

2) Where do you store it?

3) Do you plan to use it all or just hoarding for the sake of hoarding?

Im not saying this to judge. I have tons of sailor ink too.

4) When they temporarily discontinued Epinard and Sky High, I ran out and bought 9-10 bottles of each.

But now I realize it was a big mistake.

Ive sobered up quite a lot after that.

1 & 3) Write with it. I love colors, I love writing. Outline of stories, notes, quotes, memos, essays, letters, journaling, doodles, calligraphy. People who use gel pens have dozens, hundreds of them. I want the same range of color in fountain pen ink form.

"Use it all" I don't think like that. Even if the bottles I bought last year will be here in 20 years, who cares, unless there's mold in it it may be usable. I have hopefully decades of writing in front of me. And even if I hadn't I'd still want as many options as my current budget can afford, I like diversity of colors, even at the expense of neglecting some bottles from time to time.

2) In drawers, on bookshelves, under bookshelves, under table, under bed, behind bed, in cranny between wardrobe and wall, in wardrobe, above wardrobe, under wardrobe, above cabinet in the bathroom. I have few, very beloved hobbies. Fountain pens, paper and inks count amongst them. They have priority over other objects from other hobbies (although it's a tie with books). In the future when I decide I have no use for many colors, I'll gift or trade or sell samples or the whole bottles. Thank goodness for the Internet, so I can find interested people with relative ease.

4) 9-10 bottles... I don't know, even if it were a Limited Edition color, I'd buy one back-up bottle, I'm not sure about that many. Maybe in the future a new amazing color will be manufactured, and my interest for the backed up color will wane. For now, one bottle each, as many as financially possible.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png