Papier Plume Red Beans And Rice

visvamitra

Papier Plume is s stationery shop situated in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans. The company began its business in 2001 however the shop was opened in 2007. From what I see on google maps the shop looks quite nice.

fpn_1458503073__papierplume_shop_.jpg

Some time ago the company started to offer fountain pen inks. They're supposed to be hand poured and bottled right in the shop. The inks are water based and described as french inks (imported? anyone knows french private label maker?). At the moment the inks are available in 15 colors and are sold in three bottles: small (15 ml), medium (30 ml), big (50 ml):

fpn_1458503263__papierplume_shop_bottles

source

The sample was sent to me by namrehsnoom - thanks!

fpn_1522171780__bar_papierplume_is.jpg

Bean and Rice has cool name, good behavior and unappealing color. I'm not crazy about this one.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

Software ID

fpn_1522171871__bar_papierplumefn_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1522171881__bar_papierplumefn_4.jpg

Field Notes, Parker Sonnet, M

fpn_1522171907__bar_papierplumefn_1.jpg

fpn_1522171929__bar_papierplumefn_2.jpg

fpn_1522171944__bar_papierplumefn_5.jpg

Tsubame, Parker Sonnet, M

fpn_1522171962__bar_papierplume_tsubame_

fpn_1522171982__bar_papierplume_tsubame_

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragorsi

• Intensity

• visvamitra

• Karmachanic

I like the color, but seems like its lacking some impact from insufficient concentration/saturation (for instance, the splash looks great). Does not beat my favorite Diamine Syrah in this color category.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Hmm. This one is a maybe. I'd have to see what it looks like in person, rather than on my screen, but I like the shading. It would depend on whether it ends up looking more "raspberry" (which is what I'm seeing) or more "salmon" (which is a decided deal breaker...).

Would you call this a dry or wet ink? My experience with the Papier Plume line (albeit limited) is that they tend to be on the dry side.

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hmm, I think I don't like it. It's not at all "bad" in any way, it's just a good example of somthing that's not really anything. Too far away from anything that could bear a name even as a replicate for a stone, a flower, fruit, or wine....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

On my screen it looks mauve which is really nice (can't adjust my screen win 10 is a baby..), would like to see it next to Syrah, just because I have access to that.

Thanks for the review!

"Music..Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate." - Arnold Bennett

Instagram // my inks

You realize modern computers (since 1997) dumb colors down to 1982 television fidelity, right? Most bright colors can't be properly captured or displayed unless you have a $10,000 screen and a digital photograph shot in RAW mode.

So the rough overview is good, but the RGB specifics (unless captured in a wider-gamut raw mode on a digital camera) are pointless.

Edited by Corona688

You realize modern computers (since 1997) dumb colors down to 1982 television fidelity, right? Most bright colors can't be properly captured or displayed unless you have a $10,000 screen and a digital photograph shot in RAW mode.

So the rough overview is good, but the RGB specifics (unless captured in a wider-gamut raw mode on a digital camera) are pointless.

While I have a 99% Adobe RGB calibrated monitor and take colors seriously, I still think visvamitra's review style is very helpful as it gives a great general idea. A search for a 100% accurate representation is pointless too, because the color itself appears differently in person depending on what lighting conditions are (sunny, shade, low light with artificial light, angle of illumination,) as well as the choice of pen and also color of the paper you write on. All we can do with these reviews is to give a good general idea, and the software ID rectangle is a part of that general idea. So far I've purchased most of my inks based on on-line reviews that are of course only rough approximations, and in most cases I have not been surprised by what I saw in front of me--the colors were as I expected them based on reviews like this one.

(P.S.: the value of that software ID rectangle is, in my opinion, not in the exact value, but rather in the rectangle with the color gradient itself).

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thanks for the review, Vis. Haven’t tried this one yet, but will shortly.

Personally, I like what I see. I’m a sucker for subdued, pastel-like colours, and this one seems to fit the bill. I’ll post my impressions in the next couple of weeks.

I only mentioned calibration, because this time I actually tried to do it. :) I never expect a review that I look at through a device to be accurate, especially because different paper makes inks look different in person as well. But they are always a great start and properties like shading, can be seen. :)

"Music..Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate." - Arnold Bennett

Instagram // my inks

Thanks for the review, Vis. Haven’t tried this one yet, but will shortly.

Personally, I like what I see. I’m a sucker for subdued, pastel-like colours, and this one seems to fit the bill. I’ll post my impressions in the next couple of weeks.

I'm the exact opposite! :D

I just put this in my red/black-swirl Ranga 3C with a fine Jowo nib. Figured it'd be a good match for the pen.

It is definitely a "dusty" red; less vivid than, say, an Iroshizuku Yama-Budo. I think the ink's name is the best color comparison. It's pretty close to the color of the beans I use to make red beans and rice, or of an adzuki bean. Truth in advertising... ;)

Well. The colours on the 2017 calibrated iMac are very accurate. 27-inch (diagonal) Retina 5K display, 5120‑by‑2880 resolution with support for one billion colors, 500 nits brightness, Wide color (P3)

I know its accurate because the prints I get from the .jpg files shot on a Fuji X Pro 2 processed on said computer match the screen. This processing is done in a room painted Munsell spectrally neutral grey with a 6500k bias light behind the monitor. Gave up shooting RAW years ago when I walked away from Nikon. YMMV

Besides that, all perception is subjective. But that's another story!

And what Intensity said.

Add lightness and simplicate.