The Bottom Line: Conklin Classic Rainfall

s_t_e_v_e

In these reviews I attempt to be as to-the-point as possible to give the reader a quick idea about the aspects of the pen that stood out to me.

The Good: The pen has been crafted very well and I literally cannot find a flaw in the pen. The threads are smooth, the finishing is immaculate and the ability to eyedropper it is awesome! It's a home run in terms of quality and functionality.

The Not-so-Good: The cap has metal in it making it a little heavy. The barrel, being relatively light, posting makes the pen back heavy.

The Bad: These are numbered editions but not limited, I believe. Numbered or not, doesn't matter to me. But in this case it seems like a trick to create a hype or create a feeling of higher value than it is. I think it was unnecessary to number this pen and advertise it as such. It is great pen and holds it's own anyway. The numbering just opens a can of worms with people requesting specific numbers and the Goulet's not being able to honor such requests.

The Bottom Line: Think of it as an non-numbered edition and buy it if you like ebonite pens that are well made. The numbering is just an unnecessary distraction on a great pen.

Note: As pictured below, the nib on this pen is a 14K Conklin nib that did not come with the pen. I had this nib and found this pen to be a suitable home for the nib. These pens come with Goulet branded JoWo nibs.

post-3872-0-78062200-1522166168_thumb.jpg

post-3872-0-13086700-1522166195_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s_t_e_v_e

• Honeybadgers

• gerigo

• bugsydog55

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it certainly is an attractive looking pen. And I'm a fan of how ebonite feels when holding a pen made out of it. OTOH, making a pen not overly post-able is definitely an issue.

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I adore ebonite also and have a couple of pens in a teal and black color that I really enjoy. But your pen is truly something to look at. That it actually writes would be like a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

a pretty pen and I love that ebonite, but for a CC and steel nib, it's kind of disgustingly overpriced. At least edison pens are made in america.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

a pretty pen and I love that ebonite, but for a CC and steel nib, it's kind of disgustingly overpriced. At least edison pens are made in america.

FWIW, this pen is made in Italy and is less expensive than Edison pens. It is just as good if not better than Edison in terms of overall quality. You also get the same nib as the Edison, so writing experience is also going to be the same.

FWIW, this pen is made in Italy and is less expensive than Edison pens. It is just as good if not better than Edison in terms of overall quality. You also get the same nib as the Edison, so writing experience is also going to be the same.

Oh, it's made over in italy? That actually eases my mind a lot.

I have been less enthused by conklin nibs than edison nibs... Conklin stuff is definitely not the same nib, they may be the same manufacturer, but the QC is much spottier. conklin nibs are also softer and bouncier, which I do appreciate, but I just don't see $100 worth of pen. If I break the $80 barrier, the pen better have something REALLY special in order to justify no gold nib. The ebonite on this is pretty, but I can get a ranga ebonite pen with great build quality for half the price or less.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Oh, it's made over in italy? That actually eases my mind a lot.

I have been less enthused by conklin nibs than edison nibs... Conklin stuff is definitely not the same nib, they may be the same manufacturer, but the QC is much spottier. conklin nibs are also softer and bouncier, which I do appreciate, but I just don't see $100 worth of pen. If I break the $80 barrier, the pen better have something REALLY special in order to justify no gold nib. The ebonite on this is pretty, but I can get a ranga ebonite pen with great build quality for half the price or less.

The nib that comes with this pen is a Goulet branded JoWo nib which is the same as an Edison nib except for the branding. It's not the stock Conklin nib. The nib I have on my pen is an older 14K gold nib which I already had and installed on the pen myself. The gold nib is certainly a worthy upgrade since it is smooth, wet and bouncy.

I agree with you on Ranga pens. They're really good value for money and you get to choose from a over 20 ebonite finishes.

Steve

Thanks for the balanced review. I bought the pen almost immediately when it was released because the material looked so beautiful. I turned out to be a beautiful writing instrument with none of the quality issues that typically plague Conklin. While I understand this pen is priced in a range that might make many think twice, I would not hesitate to recommend this pen to any one.

Steve

Thanks for the balanced review. I bought the pen almost immediately when it was released because the material looked so beautiful. I turned out to be a beautiful writing instrument with none of the quality issues that typically plague Conklin. While I understand this pen is priced in a range that might make many think twice, I would not hesitate to recommend this pen to any one.

I too jumped on it the minute it was released and I don't regret one bit. Like you said, this pen isn't a typical sub-$100 Conklin. It has been very well designed and even though it is a simple, minimal design, a lot of attention has been paid to the details. I'm really happy with this pen. I appreciate the vintage styling in a modern pen and the good part is that it isn't overdone.

Price is totally subjective matter. I personally feel that retail price on most modern pens in the market today is high. This one is no exception. But when you consider the competition, I think it is priced okay for what you get. Would I want it to be priced lower? Absolutely! Just as I would want an Edison to be priced at least $50 lower than what it is. But it is what it is. What matters is how badly I want a pen and how much I'm willing to pay for it. Sometimes desire overrides sensibility and I end up paying more. Buyer's remorse will always be there. But as long as I am satisfied with the purchase, it doesn't matter.

So people were saying that this pen was overpriced... I agree but all pens are overpriced. Well not exactly, because otherwise the penmakers can't make profit. I think Edison or Franklin Christoph pens are overpriced for what they are and wouldn't have bought one from them if it wasn't for the Masuyama nib option + free shipping. But I'm not saying they take undue advantage of customers who don't know better. They produce pens in small quantities so naturally the price point will be higher than say Pilot,,,