Namiki Vp In A Medical Setting

pvdiamon

What ink are you using in this setting? I had hoped to use Noodler's black, but I seemed to have issues with it nib creeping and then eventually pooling in the pen, making a mess. I thought Namiki blue black may be a good alternative, as it is supposed to be water resistant, but not sure it is black enough.

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pvdiamon

• carlos.q

• Greyknight

• twin63

I work for a blood bank and do transfusion safety for the hospitals in our system. Currently, I'm using a Pilot Stella 90s - F nib - with Namiki Blue Black (cartridge). To my eyes, it leans a bit more to the blue side. However, at a glance, I don't think most people would notice that it's not black. Our policy allows for blue or black ink, so I'm safe either way. I can't say how it would look with a different nib, though. The blue may be more prominent with a M or B nib.

Hope this helps.

Sailor Kiwa Guro. Does NOT feather even on crappy paper, fully waterproof,very lubricated. It does tend to stick to converter walls and can starve the feed. I mainly use it with piston fillers

I have spent a lot of time in hospital given my health problems. My Neurologist carries a Pilot VP on a lanyard around his neck. He has it filled with Aurora Black ink, and he says that he has been using this same pen and ink combination since he was a Resident in the late 1990s.

These are some great ideas. I sent my fine nib (which seemed to be pooling ink) back to Pilot, and they "adjusted" it but didn't ever comment on what was wrong. However they said that I should use their ink, as otherwise it voids the warranty. My pen is old, but never heard about warranties based on ink! That said, I am intrigued by the iron gall inks mentioned, but fearful of them too in terms of potential clogging of the nib.

I purchased a Medium nib which I'm using now and it is incredibly smooth compared to the fine nib. But feathering is a bigger deal with a broader nib. I tried Namiki black but it isn't very water resistant. I am currently using Namiki blue black. But in the medium nib, it looks more like blue gray. It is acceptable but I'm not overly thrilled. However it works pretty good on cheap paper.

In terms of Aurora black vs Pelikan 4001 black, any thoughts on which do better on cheap paper (feathering) and if they are similar in water resistance? Thanks.

I just saw a review of Aurora vs Pelikan. Aurora is described as "wet" while Pelikan is drier. Which quality is preferred in a Namiki VP?

Edited by pvdiamon

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Pelikan 4001 black will work better on cheaper paper but it is a drier ink. Not sure how it will work in a Namiki VP. Here is a video on its water resistance:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/220120-pelikan-brilliant-black-water-tests/

Check out this black ink comparison:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/265178-my-blacks-you-know-i-love-them/

Edited by carlos.q

My friend who's a gynecologist uses a fountain pen with red ink in it. He says that red is his favorite color.

• 3 weeks later...

I had trouble with nib creep using Noodler's black in the past. So I tried Pilot blue black, a little too blue but wrote nicely, and has some water resistance. I tried Pelikan Black and it wrote dry, and actually seemed to cause some skipping. So now I'm trying Noodler's Air Corp. Color is fine, not yet sure about the flow. J Herbin black was recommended to me, haven't bought it yet.

John in NC

I had trouble with nib creep using Noodler's black in the past. So I tried Pilot blue black, a little too blue but wrote nicely, and has some water resistance. I tried Pelikan Black and it wrote dry, and actually seemed to cause some skipping. So now I'm trying Noodler's Air Corp. Color is fine, not yet sure about the flow. J Herbin black was recommended to me, haven't bought it yet.

Aurora black will work great, but it has little permanence in water. JHerbin Perle Noir will also work great (even wetter), but it too has little water resistance.

If you need black and it has to be permanent and actually work well on paper you have no control over, stick with Noodler's Heart of Darkness (HoD).

It's honestly everything the company's black ink should be. It's much faster to dry than the regular black, with a minimal increase in feathering. It does nib creep but not as bad. I find it a thousand times easier to clean out of a pen. And for some reason, less prone to blobs.