Wing Sung 601. A Real Vacumatic, Modern Parker 51?

Honeybadgers

Truth Pil, My apologies, didn't mean in include your reply when commenting on Scribe_Not's signature line "Gullible" message. I fell for it and it made me laugh.

Oh that's what happened hahaha. I didn't even notice his signature until now.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Honeybadgers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• Mech-for-i

There's a new nib released for this pen, a "bent" like delike's nibs, and a broader fude nib. I have the finer bent nib on the way, might pick up a set of the fudes as well.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

There's a new nib released for this pen, a "bent" like delike's nibs, and a broader fude nib. I have the finer bent nib on the way, might pick up a set of the fudes as well.

Yep, I tried both of those nibs out last week. The "bent" one is very similar to the Delike bent nib as far as feel and nib width goes. Mine was even a little smoother than the Delike, but that probably depends on the nib you get since quality control is spotty. If you like the Delike bent nib, you should like this one as well.

The other fude nib isn't as broad as I was expecting and writes almost the same nib width as the other nib, yet somehow feels quite different to write with. The sweet spot is different but I can't describe specifically how so. Mine was annoying scratchy at most angles so it probably needs some realignment, but again that will depend on the nib you get.

I'm looking forward to reading your experiences with the two nibs....for me they are a good substitute for a western medium-broad and make this pen far more practical for everyday use. I plan on ordering a bunch more spares of both since they are so insanely cheap in country.

Bent as in Waverly?

It doesn't write much like a Waverly. The feel is a lot more like an architect grind, broad horizontal strokes and thinner vertical strokes, but the different in strokes is not an pronounced and sharp as with an architect nib.

By contrast, the Penbbs nibs do feel similar to a Waverly.

• 2 weeks later...

Is possible to use the nib of the

Wing Sung 601 in a Parker 51?

It's been a while so I thought I'd echo this question.

Has anyone tried putting a Parker 51 nib in the 601??

How about any other nibs from other manufacturers?

This pen is just too ridiculously good to be limited to the current nib options. That massive ink capacity is just screaming for a broad or stub nib.

Yes, see the photo I attached to the other thread

According to this other thread, you can't just swap the nibs for this reason:

post-139272-0-66017000-1523265439.jpg

So I guess it's possible to use the Parker 51 nib if you also use a Parker 51 collector and section.

Got one of these 2018 Wing Sung 601's today in Deep/Army Green and it's a great pen. This is the pen that Parker should have made when the reintroduced the 51 back about 10 years ago. They didn't spend the money on the good, finned collectors and it was crappy. This WS has the exact same finned collector as vintage 51's. Their manufacturing is much better thatn curent Parker, obviously, otherwise they couldn't do it for such a low price.

Mine got the standard F/EF nib. I initially tried it with Noodler's Bernanke Black, but it was far too wet with that lubricated ink, so I switched to Richard Binder's vintage style Gate City Pen Everflow Black and it's bee great.

One thing that nobody mentioned: I came with a converter......filled with what I assume is silicone lubricant. Pretty neat, much like a TWSBI.

Skip

post-840-0-88321500-1527619970_thumb.jpg

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

I found that the diaphragm filler is much smoother than the piston pumper, too. I also got a tool to remove the filling mechanism, so maybe the piston will be smoother with some good grease.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I found that the diaphragm filler is much smoother than the piston pumper, too. I also got a tool to remove the filling mechanism, so maybe the piston will be smoother with some good grease.

I'm curious to hear how that works out. Sometimes the action on my piston version is super smooth and sometimes there is more resistance. I wonder if also the strength of the spring has something to do with it. It's annoying when the spring doesn't fully pull the piston back, so if more silicone grease relieves the issue then that would be a nice easy fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the tool to remove the filler, and lube didn't help. the piston filler has the advantage of being able to fill the entire pen MUCH more quickly, but the operation is kinda sticky. The diaphragm is much nicer to use but requires 10-15 pumps to fill completely.

As for the bent nibs, the "fude" nib is like a fude, big honking double/triple broad line. Feed keeps up nice, it's juicy.

The "bent" nib option, the smaller of the two, is like the delike nib. Very smooth, chisel like and architect nib feel. I went with this nib for both my 601's. They're awesome.

Your experience sounds the same as mine. I too love the bent and fude nibs. I just ordered a bunch of spares in every nib size in case I mess any up. The nib options and ease of swapping nibs makes these already great pens just freaking awesome.

I'm expecting the 12k version in army green to arrive later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm expecting the 12k version in army green to arrive later this week.

I've been using the 601 with 12k nib everyday as my primary writer for the past 2 weeks and it's very nice. I would say it's well worth the money at the current price in China (178RMB or about $28). There's no flex at all (not to be expected, anyway), but you can really feel the softness as you write. The nib also isn't very smooth, not as smooth as the stock steel nib once the tines are properly aligned, but it's not scratchy either. It feels somewhat like writing with a sharp but soft 2B pencil. It also requires a little pressure to get decent flow, which is common with Chinese gold nibs in order to get the tactile control needed for writing Chinese characters. With that bit of pressure applied, you get a nice, wet line that is like a western fine. That being said, the need for pressure leads to hand fatigue in longer writing sessions. Perhaps with a wetter ink the need for pressure might diminish, but so far I've only used KWZ Foggy Green in it and am not sure where that ink sits on the wetness scale.

In sum, if you like to feel a soft but notable drag when you write, then you should like the 12k nib. You feel everything and have great control for each stroke. One the other hand, if you're looking for line variation or glassy smooth writing, don't bother.

I just received my five pack of the bent nibs and installed one tonight. It is very like an architect nib in that the horizontal strokes are broader than the verticals. My 601 is a dark, metal flake blue that I believe they are calling "blue flash." Mine came with a pearl white cap jewell.

The "bent" nib option, the smaller of the two, is like the delike nib. Very smooth, chisel like and architect nib feel. I went with this nib for both my 601's. They're awesome.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I just received my five pack of the bent nibs and installed one tonight. It is very like an architect nib in that the horizontal strokes are broader than the verticals. My 601 is a dark, metal flake blue that I believe they are calling "blue flash." Mine came with a pearl white cap jewell.

I've done the same and am enjoying a bent (#1) nib on a 618.

• 1 month later...

I recently picked up the piston filler version after waiting and watching many reviews. I am impressed by the design and build quality of the (piston version) pen, but the nib is lacking. The one I got was rough and too dry out of the box. Because it is so small, and there is very little tipping material on it, there wasn't much to work with. It was also more difficult to adjust without disassembling the hood. However, I have got it writing fairly well. My main issue is that the oem nib is very fine and stiff by my standards-- the one I got is like writing with a nail. I'm not interested in the fude or waverly style nibs, so hopefully someone will come along and offer medium-fine nibs as an aftermarket accessory...

I agree with others this is a really nice pen. Would love a medium nib though.

I wonder if my favourite Hero 565 medium nib would fit? It is the only Chinese hooded nib I have come across with a true medium.

True. Vacumatic pens - not just the "51" - are difficult too clean just by pumping water in and out. That's one reason why Parker came out with the Whirl Clean units for dealers. A customer could go into a shop or stationery section of their local department store and get their pen flushed and cleaned in a couple minutes. There are still Whirl Clean units that surface from time to time.

I love the Vacumatic filling system for its elegance and its ease in filling, and, as a result, have a few for daily use. The solution to the problem, and it works for all fountain pens, is to build your own Whirl Clean from a garden variety salad spinner, available everywhere. The instructions can be found on the Web - if I recall, Ron Zorn once wrote about it.

In my case, I fully clean the pen with water using my salad spinner Whirl Clean, give the pen a little JB's Pen Flush to get any recalcitrant ink, then a couple more water flushes and I'm done. Works well and takes a lot less time.

Purchasing a tool for removing the piston is cheap and this makes flushing the pen an absolute snap.