Wing Sung 601. A Real Vacumatic, Modern Parker 51?

Honeybadgers

This pen knocks it out of the park. Is it a flagrant 51 knockoff? Yes. Yes it is. Is it really good and easily worth your $15? YES. YES IT IS.

I've never actually owned a 51. I just don't love hooded nibs, and $100-200 for a nice vacumatic one is just odd to me, seeing as the gold nib is a nail. But I do love vacumatics, in some ways more than piston fillers. The convenience of the vacumatic fill is undeniable. And this pen just knocks it out of the park.

The design is simple, plastic body, good fit and finish (you can feel the blind cap's ridge but it's subtle) the push cap seals perfectly and doesn't dry out, the pen is usable posted or not, the cap posts perfectly, and just tight enough to feel secure. does it have the satisfying snap of a lamy 2000? no, but this thing is roughly 10% the price and it doesn't feel cheap.

The cap doesn't wobble at all and throughout a couple weeks of abuse, it's been reliable and has been knocked around a bit without any issues.

The ink window is a perfect touch, too, taking the design of the 51 and improving it in that regard. Cleaning is easy and simple, just unscrew the hood and wash the feed and nib, which slide right out. Reassembly can be a bit tricky if you pull the feed off, but is relatively painless.

Size and weight are spot on for me, it's a medium thickness and the balance is spot on. Even with the heavy metal cap posted, the balance just rests nicely in the web of my hand

Writing is perfect for me. it's toothy and a western extra fine/japanese fine, flow is medium and it never skips or hard starts. I like it. a LOT. reverse writing is smooth, dry, and needlepoint, very usable.

I don't normally go for hooded nibs. I only have two lamy 2000's and an american pencil co. venus. But this one just strikes a chord with me and I am in love with it.

My only wish is that this thing came with nib options. I'd LOVE a broad, stub, or double broad!

fpn_1522101753__601-2.jpg

fpn_1522101899__601-4.jpg

It's quickly becoming my go-to pocket pen for leaving the house, since it can write on receipts being medium flow and very fine, and it's quick to cap/uncap and just feels nice. I think I understand the appeal of the parker 51 now, and one (with a big juicy broad nib that I can't get for this one) may be in my future.

fpn_1522101922__601-6.jpg

fpn_1522101941__601-3.jpg

I really appreciate the metal plunger. the vacumatics have shown they could last, but chinese plastic is always suspect, so a metal plunger definitely shows an attention to quality and longevity.

fpn_1522101963__601-7.jpg

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Honeybadgers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• Mech-for-i

Nice review, I'd also love a broad nib!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

My sentiments exactly, not really into hooded nibs. But there is just something about the vacumatic filling system and the design of the '51' Have wanted one for a while but couldn't part with that kind of dough. Checked out the Wing Sung on youtube but wasn't quite sure on it. Couldn't help myself and finally bit the bullet on the 601 and am waiting for mine to arrive. Like you said it would be really nice if there were some nib choices.

Good review, I agree with most of your points. This is certainly a pen to try first-hand.

It's comfortable to hold, easy to use, and even if the nib is more scratchy than the WS 618, it's plenty usable and lays down consistent lines without hard starts and skipping.

I disagree on the comfort of the posted pen, I think it's back-heavy, but I have tiny, powerless fingers and my right arm suffers from RSI, so I recognize how my viewpoint is an exception.

Finally, I don't think that flushing is an easy process with this pen. First you need to mark in some way the orientation of the nib-feed unit, because if you pull it out put it back randomly, and you screw the hood back, it won't cover the nib no matter how you start screwing it back unless you put the nib-feed unit in the exact same position from before. (First-hand experience right here folks).

Also, I wouldn't consider normal yanking off the whole nib-feed unit every time I want to flush the pen or change ink, because they're friction-fit and after a few dozen times we run the risk of leakages. And why is this operation necessary, because the ink/water gets trapped where the breather tube doesn't reach very easily.

Because of this, I would have preferred a screw nib-feed unit, or a very short breather tube for ease of flushing.

Okay I've read my post and it sounds like bashing, so let me tell you that I've been happily using my WS 601 almost every day since the day I got it, a couple of weeks ago, and that I recommend it to everyone, it's a fun pen to know the ins and outs and of course to use on a regular basis.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Good review, I agree with most of your points. This is certainly a pen to try first-hand.

It's comfortable to hold, easy to use, and even if the nib is more scratchy than the WS 618, it's plenty usable and lays down consistent lines without hard starts and skipping.

I disagree on the comfort of the posted pen, I think it's back-heavy, but I have tiny, powerless fingers and my right arm suffers from RSI, so I recognize how my viewpoint is an exception.

Finally, I don't think that flushing is an easy process with this pen. First you need to mark in some way the orientation of the nib-feed unit, because if you pull it out put it back randomly, and you screw the hood back, it won't cover the nib no matter how you start screwing it back unless you put the nib-feed unit in the exact same position from before. (First-hand experience right here folks).

Also, I wouldn't consider normal yanking off the whole nib-feed unit every time I want to flush the pen or change ink, because they're friction-fit and after a few dozen times we run the risk of leakages. And why is this operation necessary, because the ink/water gets trapped where the breather tube doesn't reach very easily.

Because of this, I would have preferred a screw nib-feed unit, or a very short breather tube for ease of flushing.

Okay I've read my post and it sounds like bashing, so let me tell you that I've been happily using my WS 601 almost every day since the day I got it, a couple of weeks ago, and that I recommend it to everyone, it's a fun pen to know the ins and outs and of course to use on a regular basis.

unlike the 51, the 601 has no breather tube. flushing involves simply pressing the button in water.

There are two models of this pen, the one I showed is a classic vacumatic diaphragm and sac, and one with a plunger, which I ordered and is on the way.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

unlike the 51, the 601 has no breather tube. flushing involves simply pressing the button in water.

There are two models of this pen, the one I showed is a classic vacumatic diaphragm and sac, and one with a plunger, which I ordered and is on the way.

Oh my. I have no idea what I have then. I ordered mine on 25th Feb, the so-called Chinese New Year's batch, it's the vacumatic version, and it does have a breather tube.

I've flushed it a couple times already, meaning I took the nib and feed unit out of the barrel, and it has a breather tube.

I found an old picture of it. Possibly mine's from a different batch.

fpn_1522355931__wing_sung_601_beige_fine

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

Huh, I just checked mine and it has a breather tube too. I was basing mine off of the transparent models that don't seem to have a breather.

s-l1600.png

Yeah that's why I'm not happy with this whole ordeal. They should have sold this version from the beginning.

Since the nib is the same I don't want to spend another 13€ on another 601 only because it doesn't have a breather tube. It would have been much, much better though. Much easier to flush. I'd rather spend the money on one of those Penbbs 309 for instance. I like the fact that they don't have a feed nipple like the 698 and that the section unscrews. Good, utilitarian features.

it's hard to be upset when you have a good working pen with an awesome vacumatic filler for under 15 euros... Most new chinese pens have growing pains, so if you're the type who tends to never buy a second version of a pen you enjoy, wait about six months before you pick up a new model.

It's like buying a first model year of any new car. There will always be issues.

Huh, I just checked mine and it has a breather tube too. I was basing mine off of the transparent models that don't seem to have a breather.

s-l1600.png

If you look at that picture full size, it looks like there's a clear plastic breather tube inside, mostly hidden by the reflection on the barrel, but most visible at the top, open end.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

If you look at that picture full size, it looks like there's a clear plastic breather tube inside, mostly hidden by the reflection on the barrel, but most visible at the top, open end.

Having said pen....I'm of the same opinion............................

Fred

Anybody know if those fillers fit into actual Parker 51’s?

I doubt it. They're not a carbon-copy. They have an ink window, for starters.

I did ask chrisrap if the nibs interchanged since I know he has a few 51's and at least one 601, but haven't heard from him. I'd -love- this pen with a 14k B or stub nib!

I've been using this pen every single day for about a full month now, and it's only now nearing the end of its first fill of pilot blue-black ink. It's literally a faultless pen. Just the right flow to feel smooth and satisfying, it NEVER, EVER, EVER skips or hard starts, the cap posts and seals securely and it has NEVER dried out, I can tell it's not evaporating because the ink in it tends to get fairly sheen-heavy when it's evaporating in a pen, and it's just so well balanced and clean.

I might buy one in every color, maybe even get a nibmeister to retip it with a 0.8 stub or something. I don't even like hooded nibs, but this pen is making me understand what the fuss about the 51 was.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I doubt it. They're not a carbon-copy. They have an ink window, for starters.

I did ask chrisrap if the nibs interchanged since I know he has a few 51's and at least one 601, but haven't heard from him. I'd -love- this pen with a 14k B or stub nib!

I've been using this pen every single day for about a full month now, and it's only now nearing the end of its first fill of pilot blue-black ink. It's literally a faultless pen. Just the right flow to feel smooth and satisfying, it NEVER, EVER, EVER skips or hard starts, the cap posts and seals securely and it has NEVER dried out, I can tell it's not evaporating because the ink in it tends to get fairly sheen-heavy when it's evaporating in a pen, and it's just so well balanced and clean.

I might buy one in every color, maybe even get a nibmeister to retip it with a 0.8 stub or something. I don't even like hooded nibs, but this pen is making me understand what the fuss about the 51 was.

My 601 arrived a few days ago-I agree 100% with Honeybadgers, really impressed and happy with this one

But isn't this just a 618 with a piston? I've got one of the 618s and while I like it sort of every time I open it I have to align the nib with the hood. Did I get a bad one?

Anyway for a Parker equiv EDC I usually take a Baoer 100 -

thanks as always for these great discussions

But isn't this just a 618 with a piston? I've got one of the 618s and while I like it sort of every time I open it I have to align the nib with the hood. Did I get a bad one?

Did you unscrew the hood when you first got it and screwed it back without silicone grease on it?

I have a 618 and the hood never ever unscrewed.

Did you unscrew the hood when you first got it and screwed it back without silicone grease on it?

I have a 618 and the hood never ever unscrewed.

Good point haha - I'll try it asap

Thanks

Anyway for a Parker equiv EDC I usually take a Baoer 100 -

thanks as always for these great discussions

Close. the 618 has a screw on cap and I found that the hood plastic itself was bulky right up to the nib, giving it this lurch like forehead of an appearance, just made the whole point of the pen bulky looking and ugly. The 601 is more slender and the plastic tapers to a nice point, makes the whole design more elegant. The 618's cap is snap on and posts much deeper. And the overall profile is unbroken with no step-up so it's a wonderful thing to grip. I gave away my 618. I'm never going give my 601 away.

Also, the 618's build quality isn't up to the 601. The 601 genuinely feels like a new old stock pen from any western maker. I haven't ever used a parker 51, but I can't imagine a 51 would be any better. This feels like lamy could have made it. The nib alignment is much less picky.

I think the baoer 100 is a good pen (I have one) but it's apples-oranges. the 100 is heavier, bulkier, less comfortable to grip, doesn't post well, and doesn't hold a swimming pool of ink. The 601 is much more delicate in the hand. Also, my 100 tends to dry out a bit, and the 601 won't. If parker bought the rights to the 601 today and released it, completely unchanged, for $50, I wouldn't think it a bad deal. I'd hold it against a faber castell loom, pilot prera, platinum cool, and any TWSBI.

Close. the 618 has a screw on cap and I found that the hood plastic itself was bulky right up to the nib, giving it this lurch like forehead of an appearance, just made the whole point of the pen bulky looking and ugly. The 601 is more slender and the plastic tapers to a nice point, makes the whole design more elegant. The 618's cap is snap on and posts much deeper. And the overall profile is unbroken with no step-up so it's a wonderful thing to grip. I gave away my 618. I'm never going give my 601 away.

Also, the 618's build quality isn't up to the 601. The 601 genuinely feels like a new old stock pen from any western maker. I haven't ever used a parker 51, but I can't imagine a 51 would be any better. This feels like lamy could have made it. The nib alignment is much less picky.

I think the baoer 100 is a good pen (I have one) but it's apples-oranges. the 100 is heavier, bulkier, less comfortable to grip, doesn't post well, and doesn't hold a swimming pool of ink. The 601 is much more delicate in the hand. Also, my 100 tends to dry out a bit, and the 601 won't. If parker bought the rights to the 601 today and released it, completely unchanged, for $50, I wouldn't think it a bad deal. I'd hold it against a faber castell loom, pilot prera, platinum cool, and any TWSBI.

Thanks very much - I'm ordering one today -