Eversharp Skyline Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

Thought I would start a photo thread on Eversharp Skylines. In my experience, Eversharp Skyline nibs are very nice writers and I've found more flex and semi-flex nibs on these pens than other 1940s vintage pens.

This is an Eversharp Skyline Modern Stripe fountain pen, often called "Moire" by collectors, in Blue, model 75B c. early 1940s. The new Skyline was advertised on the "Take It Or Leave It" radio game show that begin airing in April, 1940. This model initially came in Blue, Green and Silver Grey and with a color coordinated plastic "derby," the dome cap top. Brown and burgundy models followed as well as pens with a gold filled cap band and derby cap tops. All trim is gold filled. This 5 3/16 inch long pen has EVERSHARP, INC PAT. MADE IN USA on the back of the cap top band and EVERSHARP on the clip face. The nib is stamped EVERSHARP over 14K over MADE IN U.SA. There was also a shorter Ladies model and both sold for $3.50, with matching Repeater pencils selling for $1.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkylineMoireBlue_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Ted F

• Inky.Fingers

• Walther-PPQ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eversharp Skyline Modern Stripe fountain pen in Silver Grey model 75S c. early 1940s. This model initially came in Blue, Green and Silver Grey and with a black plastic "derby," the dome cap top, with brown and burgundy models following later. Later versions may have a gold filled cap band and gold filled derby cap top. All trim is gold filled. This 5 3/16 inch long pen has EVERSHARP, INC PAT. MADE IN USA on the back of the cap top band and EVERSHARP on the clip face. The nib is stamped EVERSHARP over MADE IN U.SA. There was also a shorter Ladies model and both sold for $3.50, with matching Repeater pencils selling for $1.50.

post-225-0-48299600-1522233767_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eversharp Skyline Modern Stripe fountain pen in Green model 75G c. early 1940s. This model initially came in Blue, Green and Silver Grey and with a plastic "derby," the dome cap top, with brown and burgundy models following later. Note that the derby cap matches the pen color. Later versions may have a gold filled cap band and gold filled derby cap top. All trim is gold filled. This 5 3/16 inch long pen has EVERSHARP, INC PAT. MADE IN USA on the back of the cap top band and EVERSHARP on the clip face. The nib is stamped EVERSHARP over 14K over MANIFOLD over MADE IN U.SA. Manifold nibs are very stiff and designed to write through carbon paper. There was also a shorter Ladies model and both sold for $3.50, with matching Repeater pencils selling for $1.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkylineMoireGreen_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eversharp Skyline Modern Stripe Ladies fountain pen in burgundy, possibly called Dubonnet, c. early 1940s. This model initially came in Blue, Green and Silver Grey and with a color coordinated plastic "derby," the dome cap top with brown and burgundy models following later. Later versions may have a gold filled cap band and gold filled derby cap top. All trim is gold filled. This 4 13/16 inch long Ladies model pen has EVERSHARP SKYLINE PAT. MADE IN USA on the back of the cap top band and EVERSHARP on the clip face. The nib, which has bent tines, is stamped EVERSHARP over 14K over over MADE IN U.SA. It sold for $3.50, with matching Repeater pencils selling for $1.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkylineMoireDubonnet_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a pair of Eversharp Skyline Modern Stripe Ladies fountain pens in brown c. early 1940s. This model initially came in Blue, Green and Silver Grey and with a color coordinated plastic "derby," the dome cap top with brown and burgundy models following later. Later versions may have a gold filled cap band and gold filled derby cap top. All trim is gold filled. This 4 13/16 inch long Ladies model pen has EVERSHARP SKYLINE PAT. MADE IN USA on the back of the cap top band and EVERSHARP on the clip face. The nib is stamped EVERSHARP over 14K over over MADE IN U.SA. It sold for $3.50, with matching Repeater pencils selling for $1.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkylineMoireBrown_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Gold cap Skyline just back from restoration by Aaron of Pentiques.com. Writes very nice with a fine nib and slightly flexible.

IMG_1899.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

I'd be curious to know the name, model number and price for this particular pen type:

This is an Eversharp Skyline Green fountain pen c. 1943. This 5 1/4 inch long model has a wider cap band than the standard celluloid striped cap Skyline. All trim is gold filled. The clip band is stamped EVERSHARP SKYLINE PAT. MADE IN U.S.A. and EVERSHARP on the face. The top of the clip has the Eversharp double check mark logo, indicating “Guaranteed Forever." The nib is stamped EVERSHARP in a banner over 14K over MADE IN U.S.A.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkyline_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Although I realize that Jonathan Veley's "The Catalog of American Pencils" is about pencils he does list the sequence of known Skyline variations. The first category is "Skyline Standard I: striated top section, thin band." The second category is " Skyline Standard II: striated top section, thick band." The thick-banded Skylines are not as common as thin banded or no band ones but are not uncommon. The photo below is an example of a thick-banded Skyline with a gold derby.

post-106519-0-65251600-1524430670_thumb.jpg

I just took a look at another wide-band Skyline I have which is all black with a gold derby. It still has the sticker wrapped around it and it says: No. J76 $9.75 Manifold Fine. A friend of mine calls these black ones "Banker Pens."

post-106519-0-97745100-1524434033_thumb.jpg

Although I realize that Jonathan Veley's "The Catalog of American Pencils" is about pencils he does list the sequence of known Skyline variations. The first category is "Skyline Standard I: striated top section, thin band." The second category is " Skyline Standard II: striated top section, thick band." The thick-banded Skylines are not as common as thin banded or no band ones but are not uncommon. The photo below is an example of a thick-banded Skyline with a gold derby.

I really appreciate what Jonathan has done. I would like to see an actual Eversharp price list or a catalog page that calls out the model.

I just took a look at another wide-band Skyline I have which is all black with a gold derby. It still has the sticker wrapped around it and it says: No. J76 $9.75 Manifold Fine. A friend of mine calls these black ones "Banker Pens."

This is interesting! The Skyline with a striped celluloid cap and solid color barrel with a narrow cap band is a model 76 and sold for $5.00. I'm guessing that the J designation indicated that the pen has a wide cap band and gold filled derby cap and sold for more money. Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eversharp Skyline Dubonnet ladies model fountain pen c. 1943. This 4 13/16 inch long model has the narrow cap band featured on the standard celluloid striped cap Skyline, models 76 and 77. All trim is gold filled. The clip band has no markings and the clip has EVERSHARP stamped on the face. The top of the clip has the Eversharp double check mark logo, indicating “Guaranteed Forever." The nib is stamped EVERSHARP in a banner over 14K over MADE IN U.S.A. This pen sold for $5.00 and the matching repeater pencil was $3.75.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkylineDemi_1280_02.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eversharp Streamliner Dubonnet color men's Model 99 fountain pen c. 1943. This 5 3/16 inch long lever-fill model has a clip without the over the top band and no cap band. The Streamliner models came with a smooth plastic cap like this one, and a chased plastic ribbed cap version. Known colors are Black, Blue, Gray, Brown, Dubonnet and Green. Like the Skyline, these pens have a long breather tube that extends from the end of the section into the ink sac. All trim is gold filled. The clip band has no markings and the clip has MADE IN U.S.A. over EVERSHARP stamped on the face. The nib is stamped EVERSHARP over 14K over MADE IN U.S.A.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkyliner_1280_01.jpg

Edited by PenHero
Corrected name and colors

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eversharp Streamliner gray color lady's Model 98 fountain pen c. 1943. This 4 13/16 inch long lever-fill model has a clip without the over the top band and no cap band. The Streamliner models came with a smooth plastic cap like this one, and a chased plastic ribbed cap version. Known colors are Black, Blue, Gray, Brown, Dubonnet and Green. Like the Skyline, these pens have a long breather tube that extends from the end of the section into the ink sac. All trim is gold filled. The clip band is marked EVERSHARP SKYLINE PAT. MADE IN U.S.A. and the clip has EVERSHARP stamped on the face. The nib is stamped EVERSHARP over MADE IN U.S.A and is probably 14 karat gold.

http://penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkyliner_1280_02.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by PenHero
Corrected name and colors

Hi, Folks!

This is an early version Eversharp Skyline Presentation Black color ladies model fountain pen c. 1942. This 4 13/16 inch long lever-fill model has a clip with the over the top band. The early Presentation models have vertical lines engraved on the gold filled cap sleeve, which change to radial engraving in advertising by 1943. All trim is gold filled. The clip band is stamped EVERSHARP INC. PAT. MADE IN U.S.A. and the clip has EVERSHARP and the double check guarantee symbol stamped on the face. The cap top and barrel are injection molded plastic and an early price sheet shows Black, Blue, Green and Dubonnet colors offered. These pens have a long breather tube that extends from the end of the section into the ink sac. The nib has the banner and teardrop stamping with EVERSHARP over 14K over MADE IN U.S.A. The pen sold for $8.75 and the matching injector pencil sold for $4.00.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/EversharpSkylinePresentation_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Here's the Skyline Presentation in Dubonnet with radial lines on the cap:

post-106519-0-75743700-1525819816_thumb.jpg