The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review Of Ranga Model 8B In Blue, Red And Pale Yellow Ebonite

ranga bobje ebonite india material

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Ayami_109

Ayami_109

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2018 - 15:59

I had a conversation with Ranga, they are selling their ebonites and all of their ebonites are made in house.

I was suspecting that American Art Plastics supply their premium ebonite. I noticed the offerings in colours and patterns matched.

Sponsored Content

#22 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:45

M.P. Kandan confirmed that his family, who manage Ranga, also make the ebonites.

Thank you, Vaibhav.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#23 steve50

steve50

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:56

Hi Bob, 

Does your Ranga in premium ebonite also have a somewhat grippy, rubbery feel to it? Of course these are made of rubber so it might be natural that they feel that way, but compared to a regular ebonite ranga and another pen in Nikko ebonite, my premium ebonite feels quite 'sticky'. 

M.P. Kandan confirmed that his family, who manage Ranga, also make the ebonites.

Thank you, Vaibhav.

#24 mhguda

mhguda

It's mostly the paper that gets me now...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2018 - 15:22

Not Bob, but I do have one of the premium ebonite Ranga 8bs and the section (only!) did feel a little sticky at first. I did not care for that, so I buffed it a little, with a microfiber cloth. It now feels much more pleasant. Also, it was only the section that felt a little sticky. The barrel and cap are highly polished and feel like any other of my glossy ebonites.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#25 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2018 - 14:52

Steve, MH,
With any of the Ranga ebonites, premium or otherwise, I don’t detect a sticky feel. The texture and grip are dependent on how polished they are.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#26 steve50

steve50

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:27

Not Bob, but I do have one of the premium ebonite Ranga 8bs and the section (only!) did feel a little sticky at first. I did not care for that, so I buffed it a little, with a microfiber cloth. It now feels much more pleasant. Also, it was only the section that felt a little sticky. The barrel and cap are highly polished and feel like any other of my glossy ebonites.

Thanks. I've buffed it a bit harder than usual and now it feels much better. I was a bit disappointed with mine because of this. And also the threads weren't as nicely cut as my other Ranga... But the material makes me overlook all this (I have the same one as Bob's). 

#27 mhguda

mhguda

• 4,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:30

Thanks. I've buffed it a bit harder than usual and now it feels much better. I was a bit disappointed with mine because of this. And also the threads weren't as nicely cut as my other Ranga... But the material makes me overlook all this (I have the same one as Bob's). 

Quite a coincidence - mine is, too! Maybe Ranga got a little sloppy with the polishing? Or they had an order of one of those in bakul, and ours got mixed up in that, or maybe after doing the bakul they weren't sure anymore of how long to polish? That's the thing with handmade pens: all kinds of quirks can pop up due to variations in the human parameters...

#28 steve50

steve50

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2018 - 22:42

Quite a coincidence - mine is, too! Maybe Ranga got a little sloppy with the polishing? Or they had an order of one of those in bakul, and ours got mixed up in that, or maybe after doing the bakul they weren't sure anymore of how long to polish? That's the thing with handmade pens: all kinds of quirks can pop up due to variations in the human parameters...

They actually said that premium ebonites aren't as shiny as the regular ones. The material doesn't allow too much polishing apparently. 

#29 mhguda

mhguda

• 4,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2018 - 00:52

They actually said that premium ebonites aren't as shiny as the regular ones. The material doesn't allow too much polishing apparently. 

That would not explain why on my pen only the section felt sticky, the rest of the pen feels like all the other (non-premium) polished ebonite pens I have...

#30 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:57

They check the pens before dispatch, they do apply grease on threads, ... maybe the greasy or sticky feeling was becuase of that 

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#31 Lansknight

Lansknight

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2018 - 14:41

Please tell me where to get that snake?

Thanks,

#32 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2018 - 16:48

Here is one supplier. If you search for “snake adjustable ring” on eBay, you will find lots of options.

https://www.ebay.com...GiKfAfHhOPEOccw

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

#33 gudasrinivas

gudasrinivas

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2018 - 16:12

The pen is a beauty and your review makes it look even better.

Regards

Srinivas

#34 Bobje

Bobje

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2018 - 21:48

Thank you, Srinivas!

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranga, bobje, ebonite, india, material

Sponsored Content

|