Best School Ink?

surprise123

This is the third topic today, but all the questions came crashing down on me as it is my spring break.

I have basically used up my first bottle of ink (Waterman Intense Dark Greyish ink) and I am looking for a better one. Keep in mind that I am using vintage pens, so it has to be a gentle, non sac eating ink. It can range from black (not grey, BLACK this time) to blue. I will be writing essays for my English class, so no gaudy inks. As a side note, the ink must be friendly to copy paper.

I know I'm being picky and finicky, but I am only allowed to buy one ink, per my parent's rules.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• surprise123

• TSherbs

• Maccabeus

Take a look at Herbin Perle Noire: it's a very safe black ink with good water resistance.

2nd place look at Sheaffer Skrip Black.

Aurora Black is one of the best black inks, and is fine with rubber sacs. If you're looking for a good, dark, black that's fine for vintage pens, then that's what I would recommend. No ink is perfect for all kinds of copy paper, but an extra fine nib can help.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Montblanc Midnight or Royal Blue

Sheaffer Blue

Waterman Blue

All do remarkably well in my vintage pens and work well on most paper.

Buzz

If brown is an option, I would recommend Rohrer & Klingner Sepia. It has a vintage look that would make it a good complement to your vintage pens and would give your literature essays a touch of class.

In the blue range, Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-kai is elegant and sober. However, Iroshizuku inks are relatively expensive.

Would your parents allow you to purchase a few samples as a basis for selecting your next bottle?

Pelikan 4001 Konigsblau (Royal Blue)

I am a teacher, and this is the blue that I can count on to give some contrast and stay tame on cheap paper.

Hi Surprise,

Long time, no see; glad to hear from you again. :thumbup:

Well, IMHO, you already have the answer across the board... I'll just reiterate...

Black: Aurora

Blue/black: Pilot, (get the 350 bottle... your parents will love the economy of it and be impressed by your wisdom at such a tender age). :D

Blue: Waterman Serenity or I'll add: Quink Permanent Blue, (the latter is a little more regal with blue-violet tone to it).

I hope you pick the one that'll ring your chimes... enjoy your vacation. :)

- Anthony

Typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Something like Diamine Sherwood Green would be safe enough for your vintage pens, and be conservative enough to not (bleep) off your teachers as it is pretty dark. Their Blue Black would be good as well. Plus they are available in 80 ml bottles. I have used both in Esterbrook's and Parker 51's. In fact I have Diamine Blue Black in my P51 Demi Vac right now.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hi Surprise,

Long time, no see; glad to hear from you again. :thumbup:

Well, IMHO, you already have the answer across the board... I'll just reiterate...

Black: Aurora

Blue/black: Pilot, (get the 350 bottle... your parents will love the economy of it and be impressed by your wisdom at such a tender age). :D

Blue: Waterman Serenity or I'll add: Quink Permanent Blue, (the latter is a little more regal with blue-violet tone to it).

I hope you pick the one that'll ring your chimes... enjoy your vacation. :)

- Anthony

Typo.

Yeah, I went into a lapse of time where pens disappeared into the background and became a daily thing. Then I found out I was out of ink. Regarding the ink, my parents are strict:

- Under 15 dollars

- Only one

- You have to use it all

- NO MORE SAMPLES

- Only one

- Has to be worth the money milliliter to dollar wise

- Has to be black or blue

- ONLY ONE!!!!

As others have said, Pilot Blue-Black. Behaves well in any pen, looks business-like, is waterproof once dried.

However, if you are only allowed one ink at a time, the 350 ml bottle will last you a very long time...

Perhaps go for a smaller bottle, in 30 or 60 ml.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Yeah, I went into a lapse of time where pens disappeared into the background and became a daily thing. Then I found out I was out of ink. Regarding the ink, my parents are strict:

- Under 15 dollars

- Only one

- You have to use it all

- NO MORE SAMPLES

- Only one

- Has to be worth the money milliliter to dollar wise

- Has to be black or blue

- ONLY ONE!!!!

Hi Surprise,

Yeah, that's pretty strict... and fairly tight parameters... what we're basically dealing with here is the dreaded "desert island" scenario.

Since this is the case, we should focus on an ink you're going to enjoy, since it's essentially going to be the only one you'll have.

Lay down in your room, keep the lighting soft and subdued... close your eyes and think about all of your samples. Do any inks come to mind that fit your parent's parameters... and that you enjoyed using?

Once you've compiled a list of 3-5 inks in your head... get up...turn the lights up... and review your written samples of those inks... check out the images of said colors on Google, too. Think back as to which of those inks was enjoyable to use and to look at... and hopefully by doing this,... you'll be able to answer your own question. ;)

And if you need a second opinion or have follow-up questions... you know where we are. :)

- Anthony

Typo

Edited by ParkerDuofold

ESSRI, hands down. It's notoriously resistant to feathering and bleed-through on even the most substandard papers, and you get 100ml of gorgeous blue-black iron-gall goodness for just over $20. http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/registrars_ink.html

As a college professor/doctoral student/former high school English Literature & Language Arts teacher, I cannot recommend this ink highly enough. It's all I've used for several years with no melted ink sacs, no disintegrated feeds, and no ruined nibs. The worst that has happened has been a stained ink window. In fact, I so believe this ink will perform flawlessly that I will pay for your bottle if this is what you choose. PM an address where you would like it shipped, and I'll take care of the rest.

Edited by Maccabeus

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

...I will pay for your bottle if this is what you choose. PM an address where you would like it shipped, and I'll take care of the rest.

Hi Maccabeus,

This is a magnanimous offer on your part, but it is my guess that his parents would not permit it.

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Platinum Black! It's an underated black but I love how it performs on cheap paper even my exam notebooks.

Me: I have a job and I got a flex delivery address and a bus pass so I ordered samples online. I'm planning to test out the good recommended ones till I find one I like and I'm going to stick with it. In addition to the recommended samples I also added Diamine onyx blacks since they are pretty good for the money. But they aren't very good on cheap paper.

Edited by bluebellrose

ESSRI, hands down. It's notoriously resistant to feathering and bleed-through on even the most substandard papers, and you get 100ml of gorgeous blue-black iron-gall goodness for just over $20. http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/registrars_ink.html

As a college professor/doctoral student/former high school English Literature & Language Arts teacher, I cannot recommend this ink highly enough. It's all I've used for several years with no melted ink sacs, no disintegrated feeds, and no ruined nibs. The worst that has happened has been a stained ink window. In fact, I so believe this ink will perform flawlessly that I will pay for your bottle if this is what you choose. PM an address where you would like it shipped, and I'll take care of the rest.

+1 on ESSRI. Great ink for your purposes and Maccabeus' offer can't be beat.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

A lot of people here recommending more basic inks...nothing wrong with that as they're all pretty reliable. But as for me I prefer inks that are 'out there' but they are basic enough that they would still suit well in school. My personal favourites are Noodlers Zhivago, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku, Sailor Yama-Dori and Diamine Oxblood.

They all shade relatively well, look different...but not so different that they look awkward at school!

Edited by Xeros

Pelikan 4001 Blau-Schwarz aka Blue-Black. Won't feather on copy paper, even more well-behaved than Konigsblau / Royal Blue.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png