Lamy 2000 Shape Differences?

tmenyc

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a 2k expert. A friend asked why there are barrel differences in his two Lamy 2000s. Was it design evolution over time? One was bought 10-15 years ago, the other 5-10; sorry, I don't know which is which. Forgive the cell phone photo, for once I can say it wasn't mine.

27105592888_cc7eec8dc2.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmenyc

• dennis_f

• christof

• TSherbs

I think that if one of the two is 15 years old, and the other is only 5 years old, you might be able to differentiate between the two -- ie determine which one is the older one, and which the newer -- by taking a look at the section, just below the nib. On the newer models the section is made out of one piece of unbroken brushed steel, whereas on the older version there is a black insert beneath the nib.

Also, you might want to give this post a quick read-through:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/227631-lamy-2000-and-the-origins-of-lamy-design/

especially part 3. I just did a quick scan of it and I didn't notice any mention of a change in body shape... but I was rushing as I read.

That article also contains links to other articles comparing different versions/ages of the pen... so that might be useful.

Edited by dennis_f

thanks for the tips! I'll see what it says...

Tim

Tim

read the whole thing, and learned a lot! However, it didn't address barrel changes at all. Any other ideas?

Tim

Tim

This is quite the conundrum; I wonder if anyone else has noticed a change in shape?

I was going to suggest calling Lamy... but that might be a shot in the dark.

Perhaps you could try messaging "Christof" here on Fpn and see if he knows; he seems to have an authoritative grasp of Lamy design, both vintage and new, and he obviously knows his design history, so perhaps he might have an answer?

Could it be that the differences are simply a result of normal variation in mass production techniques: a machine was recalibrated slightly differently and a slight variation ensued (as opposed to a conscious change on Lamy's part)?

After reading the link above, did you determine which of the two is the older pen?

D

Contacting Christof is a great idea; I know him, should've thought of it! Will report back.

Tim

Tim

I am sorry to say that I don't have an answer to this. I did not know or notice that Lamy made design modifications of the barrels shape at some point, but obviously they did.

No helpful comment - I know. Sorry again.

C.

Thanks, Christof. Much appreciated.

Tim

Tim