M600 Turquoise Has Turned Up (Out Of The , Er ...blue)

encremental

I wasn't expecting this for another week of so, consequently the sight of the UPS guy on the doorstep yesterday with a parcel from Spain was quite a treat!

I'm happy to say that the M600 Turquoise is everything that one could hope, although in the way of recent Pelikans the colour is difficult to describe and impossible to photograph accurately.

But I'll have a go.

Long story short, if you like the colour of the Lamy Al-Star Pacific Blue SE, you'll like this.

Firstly, here it is relaxing in its nasty corset box (now in the bin). Quite repellent, and such a lot of faff to so little effect IMO.

post-7552-0-20004900-1521813439_thumb.jpg

And next to the Lamy.

post-7552-0-21940200-1521814474_thumb.jpg

The colour is very similar when a light is shining on both pens directly, but the iridescent Pelikan changes colour when the light shines across it at an angle, at times making the pen seem to glint with a warmer blue. You know those inks like Diamine Florida Blue which are on the cusp between turquoise and cobalt? That sort of thing. Then to complicate matters, the lighter blue striations which are also iridescent can sometimes seem almost a faint pinkish grey which changes the look of it yet again ...

Pelikan can contol the depth and translucency of a pen by wrapping the cellulose acetate onto the inner injection moulded barrel which can be a clear,translucent or solid colour. Here you can see the translucent turquoise inner layer with the acetate on top. The two thin lines close together at the top are the join in the material, which on other pens is not always as obvious as this (I'm using my phone rather than a proper macro lens, so excuse the blur). The end result is that the ink level is not readily visible except by holding against a bright light or using the torch on a phone (thanks alanshutko!)

post-7552-0-23692700-1521815405_thumb.jpg

The cap and blind cap are the same off white that Pelikan have always used on their white pens (with the exception of the old M100 ) although the blue together with the gold can make you swear that it is creamier until you cover the trim and hold it next to another white pen (colour theory in action!)

Finally, here is the pen with a few other blue Pelikans I had to hand (showing off - moi?) so you can get a handle on the blue compared with a pen you may know well.

post-7552-0-95465400-1521818285_thumb.jpg

I really can't imagine anybody being disappointed with this pen, and am thrilled to find that it is actually far nicer than I was expecting.

Mine has an EF nib, and it is exemplary (as was the nib on my White Transparent), and I've filled it with Sailor Souten which seems a nice combination!

John

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• encremental

• sargetalon

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• oregano

I have no words to describe how much I love this color. It reminds me of the summer sky in the countryside. Just lovely.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I just can't do white pens. Or off white. Or creamy white...lol.

Put that binde on a Pelikan with black bits though, and I'd probably want it pretty badly. Whew, I dodged a bullet!!

Side note: you have a great collection in that pic, and I'm just curious -- do you keep the piston in the "down" position like that to show you which pens aren't inked at a glance? Not a bad idea if so...

Thank you very much for the pictures.

Love it.. :wub:

It seems to be difficult to photograph.. sometimes it seems more blue, sometimes turquoise.

I´m very impatient to see the pen in real life..

Greets,

Shandria

What the h$$l is up with people hating so much the box. So what if it looks like a corset?! I don't get it? Is a corset a bad thig? Does this harm your masculinity in any whay if you are a man and buy it? Does this have something to do with the wave of special snowflakes emerging in the american society, feeling hurt if you even look funny towards them, with their safe spaces? Personally I've been bullied a lot in high school and still ended up great. It made me a thicker skin.

..anyway..

I'm definitely gonna buy this. I will probably buy 2 if I get a nice price on this year's black friday. I even sold my Montblanc Hitchcock in advance to have enough money, cuz I still haven't bought the transparent white, and I definitely need that one too. I really do hope Pelikan keeps up with these white pen releases. I'm in heaven right now.

Edited by Waltz For Zizi

I just can't do white pens. Or off white. Or creamy white...lol.

Put that binde on a Pelikan with black bits though, and I'd probably want it pretty badly. Whew, I dodged a bullet!!

Side note: you have a great collection in that pic, and I'm just curious -- do you keep the piston in the "down" position like that to show you which pens aren't inked at a glance? Not a bad idea if so...

I'm with you, on the "with black bits" part at least... I'd be all over this one if it was so, but I'm taking a pass on this white and turquoise as I did with the white and pink one. Pretty enough, just not for me.

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

What the h$$l is up with people hating so much the box. So what if it looks like a corset?! I don't get it? Is a corset a bad thig? Does this harm your masculinity in any whay if you are a man and buy it? Does this have something to do with the wave of special snowflakes emerging in the american society, feeling hurt if you even look funny towards them, with their safe spaces? Personally I've been bullied a lot in high school and still ended up great. It made me a thicker skin.

I think Pelikan was joking when the box was released with the pink pen, and people obviously found the joke very unsavory because it was way too girly and over the top. I was frustrated when I saw it because pens are not supposed male or female, colors are not supposed to be male or female.

But they (at Pelikan) seem to be going on with this box and at this point I think the box looks funny. I snicker every time I see a picture of it. They encased a fountain pen in a corset-like box. I mean who does that. Those crazy dudes at Pelikan, that's who. Pens have come with all sorts of boxes, and now this. It's just so funny to me. It sounds like Pelikan is having a joke at the expense of all the people who hated on the first corset-like box. You go Pelikan!

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I am not in love with this colour combo and will easily resist purchase.

I too would have a hard time resisting if cap, finial and section were black.

I admit I do have a tortoise white M400, but there the tortoise is absolutely irresistible...

in that case also, if they made a non white variant (could be black but also brown or other well matched dark colour) sales would sky rocket IMO

I think Pelikan was joking when the box was released with the pink pen, and people obviously found the joke very unsavory because it was way too girly and over the top. I was frustrated when I saw it because pens are not supposed male or female, colors are not supposed to be male or female.

But they (at Pelikan) seem to be going on with this box and at this point I think the box looks funny. I snicker every time I see a picture of it. They encased a fountain pen in a corset-like box. I mean who does that. Those crazy dudes at Pelikan, that's who. Pens have come with all sorts of boxes, and now this. It's just so funny to me. It sounds like Pelikan is having a joke at the expense of all the people who hated on the first corset-like box. You go Pelikan!

If you like a corset on a sexy woman, why wouldn't you like one on a sexy pen? It is still confunsing for me. Does it make you feel less like a man? Then you have some inferiority issues. Are woman supposed to be less/inferior?

You make an issue out of nothing.

I am very much a man and have no problem with the color of the pen or the design of the box. I don't use the boxes anyway. They get tucked away. I am going to be the only one seeing it anyway. The M600 just happens to be outside my current budget for pens. (it would be more than my pen budget for over a year) Plus the M600 is a size and weight that I would be comfortable with.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks for the pic! I'm salivating, and eagerly awaiting mine. I'm curious about the pistons down too--is that a way to protect them from seizing when not in use? Great collection of blue Pelikans!!

The turquoise is everything I'd imagined, and more! I just wish the stripes were transparent. How amazing would that be? This will be my first striated Pelikan that is not transparent, so i'm wondering how that'll change the experience. I don't care for the box either aesthetically. If that's their idea of 'sexy' packaging, it seems very 90's/early 2000's style and outmoded. I'd much prefer a nice wooden box like those by Graf von Faber-Castell.

Thanks for the photos! I'm new to white pens and this is only my second Pelikan so I'm anxiously waiting for mine to appear. It looks very fresh and vibrant and Miami Beach. It's been a long, cold, dreary winter and this M600 will bring some sunshine in the door with it. Can't wait!

Thanks for the photos. I like thencolor, just too small for my preferences.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

John, thanks for the photos and color comparisons. Well done! Eagerly awaiting mine.

Thanks for the presentation. A great collection of blue Pelicans :)

I think that I would prefer these versions with a silver finish...

Could you show writing sample, Sailor's Souten from Pelikan's EF (I know only vintage EF, gold, and modern steel EF, and I'm curious, because I'm thinking about M605 white with EF... )

Edited by Nikaa

The colour looks better here than on their own marketing pictures.

The corset box makes me think that extracting the pen is like delicate spinal surgery.

The more that I see pictures of this one in real life, the more that I like it. It definitely looks better than the product photos available pre-release but that has been the case lately for many releases. I think, like the Pink, this one is gonna be very hard to come by once they are sold out. Appelboom has a great shot on instagram of this next to the Pink and White Transparent that I really liked. Thanks for sharing.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Oooh.. I just reserved mine from a local seller. I'm so, SO glad I did. I had thought about getting the pink one previously but had passed it up at the time. When I saw some tweets from sellers about how quickly this was going, I took the plunge. I can't wait! Thank you so much for sharing. It looks amazing. Will be my first and probably only pen at this price point, but I can see why people love them even only in pictures.

Thank you very much for sharing!

I put a spell on you..

Put that binde on a Pelikan with black bits though, and I'd probably want it pretty badly.

Just get a classic Blue Striped.