Twsbi Precision Fountain Pen - Released In April '18

rjjone2

Hello, I am new to fountain pens and new to this forum but glad I found it. I'm the proud owner of a Diamond 580 AL Rose and I've got a Gold mini on the way to me now.

Anyways, I was listening to the Pen Addict Podcast and they mentioned a new TWSBI coming out next month, the Precision. I think I'm going to get it right away. Thoughts on it?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bggn8z0HDX7/?hl=en&taken-by=twsbi

https://www.gouletpens.com/twsbi-precision-fountain-pen-extra-fine/p/TW-M7446200

Maybe this is their way of eliminating the irritating cracking issues with their other pens.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• IndigoBOB

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• dapprman

Ive been a proponent of TWSBI diversifying from their toy like clear demonstrators that tend to crack. Perhaps this pen wiil give them that boost they need to rid themselves of the bad reputation of cracking pens. $80 for a metal bodied piston filler I think is still a great value if this pen still captures all the virtues of the 580s and Classic. I will opt for one with a 1.1 stub. My ECO 1.1 sits in the drawer unused in anticipation of cracking.

Edited by max dog

sounds like you should sell that....

I was just kidding. I do use my ECO, but I would warm up to it a whole lot more if I didn't have this nagging feeling the pen will inevitably crack down the road. If it were only made of Lamy Safri-ish indestructible plastic, or precious resin, or makralon, or sterling silver or anything else that would out last me and I would never have to worry about the TWSBI cracking.

They have such nice filling systems, nice nibs, nice looks, nice feel, nice accessories, NICE PRICE, if only they did not crack!!!.........Hope they are listening in Taiwan.

Anyway will be on the look out for a Precision.

Edited by max dog

I received my Precision a few days back. It's not nearly as uncomfortable as the looks would suggest.

I received my Precision a few days back. It's not nearly as uncomfortable as the looks would suggest.

Interesting wording. Not quite sure how to read that.

The massive step-down screams kit pen to me.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

The massive step-down screams kit pen to me.

Take it your views of much of the Caran d'Ache and some of the Dupont range is the same ?

Take it your views of much of the Caran d'Ache and some of the Dupont range is the same ?

Yep, can't stand 'em. Shoot me for daring not to slobber all over the latest TWSBI, I forgot the forum rules.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Yep, can't stand 'em. Shoot me for daring not to slobber all over the latest TWSBI, I forgot the forum rules.

Lol - these aren't MB or Pelikan ;) - might just have been worth expanding to say not your taste rather than sounding like a troll - my post was partly so you could state your views as you have :)

Lol - these aren't MB or Pelikan ;) - might just have been worth expanding to say not your taste rather than sounding like a troll - my post was partly so you could state your views as you have :)

Sorry, please point out where I sounded like a troll? :) I expressed a simple opinion, sorry it doesn't jibe with yours. :)

Your reply to my post was snide, not an invitation to state my views: because the pen in question resembles a CdA or DuPont and I don't like it, I obviously have no taste, right? :)

You didn't have to reply in the first place, you were having a go. Thanks for reminding me why I don't hang around here much any more. :)

Edited by wastelanded

Sorry, please point out where I sounded like a troll? :) I expressed a simple opinion, sorry it doesn't jibe with yours. :)

Your reply to my post was snide, not an invitation to state my views: because the pen in question resembles a CdA or DuPont and I don't like it, I obviously have no taste, right? :)

You didn't have to reply in the first place, you were having a go. Thanks for reminding me why I don't hang around here much any more. :)

That's not trolling; that's expressing an opinion based on preferences. Who cares if it's not Politically Correct. Such punctiliousness will make this place anal and take the levity away from it.

I was disappointed with the Precision, hoping for a new model that had more developed ergonomics than a steep shelf to a straight cylinder of a section, but then again it's not really a new model; it's basically a metal Classic, as others suggest, to fend off their cracking reputation. A short cut, though it might help.

Can anyone advise of a sub $100 metal pen with an integrated piston filler? Or even sub $200. Im having a hard time coming up with one.

And it looks like a modern pen. Perhaps not everyones cup of tea, but then neither is a Lamy 2000 or any of the Faber Castells. If someone pulled this pen out, Id believe it was something from Lamy, Porsche Design, or Faber Castell in a bauhaus or modern industrial theme.

Edited by max dog

If someone pulled this pen out, Id believe it was something from Lamy, Porsche Design, or Faber Castell in a bauhaus or modern industrial theme.

I would mistake it for a Faber-Castell or a Caran d'Ache fountain pen in fact.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I am not sure that this is just an attempt to remedy the past cracking problems.

They introduced changes a long time ago for that purpose and I think they were mostly successful.

The cracking incidents on caps and barrels are not heard as much. I think their nib holder thingy suffers the most today.

The Precision is an idea they came up with a long time ago, they announced it, it got good critique and they went ahead with it. They were a little late though and apparently enthusiasm has dissipated. I guess merciless teasing can backfire.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting wording. Not quite sure how to read that.

The pictures seem to suggest the sharp step-down may affect comfort of the grip...I find the step-down is sufficiently high on the body that the threads don't bother me, and even after the step-down, the section isn't too narrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Precision as well as the Vac700. Precision is a piston filler and has a slimmer profile than the larger Vac700 but does not hold as much ink. Right now both are inked with J.Herben Amethyst 1670 ink. For me, the octagonal shape gives me a better grip on the Precision. Personally I do not post but it is possible. For me, I carry the Precision in a top left shirt pocket and the Vac700 in a backpack from Jetpens.