• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpen51

• hari317

• Bo Bo Olson

• Needhelp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In about 1939 Pelikan and many other German pens went over to a plastic gasket 1.0, in importing cork, was frowned on by A. Hitler; who also stole the gold nibs. @ 1955 plastic gasket 2.0 came in. The same plastic gasket now in use.

Normally there should be no problem with PG 2.0, but if the gasket has a bend, or a tear, it will leak air in from the back...which was why some one suggested the 'special' scotch tape....a very good trick by the way....to prevent air from leaking in.

Folks have talked about the collar that if cracked will leak also. ...normally one gets inky fingers too. But those are the two areas were air can get in.

I had a 140 with a cracked collar that worked just fine with a replacement. I've had old PB 1.0 gaskets give up the ghost.....and that drained a pen lots faster, and or wouldn't suck ink.

So if still warranted send the pen back.....otherwise send it to a repairman, like Fountainble in Belgium for @ E30 + E15 mailing costs ( I used to recork two '50's MB's** and total repair of a '30's Fendomatic Safety Pen ......There are good repairmen in Spain also.....But I don't know their names.

You could ask and someone would tell you.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

In about 1939 Pelikan and many other German pens went over to a plastic gasket 1.0, in importing cork, was frowned on by A. Hitler; who also stole the gold nibs. @ 1955 plastic gasket 2.0 came in. The same plastic gasket now in use.

Normally there should be no problem with PG 2.0, but if the gasket has a bend, or a tear, it will leak air in from the back...which was why some one suggested the 'special' scotch tape....a very good trick by the way....to prevent air from leaking in.

Folks have talked about the collar that if cracked will leak also. ...normally one gets inky fingers too. But those are the two areas were air can get in.

I had a 140 with a cracked collar that worked just fine with a replacement. I've had old PB 1.0 gaskets give up the ghost.....and that drained a pen lots faster, and or wouldn't suck ink.

So in under warrenttee send the pen back.....otherwise send it to a repairman, like

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
There are good repairmen in Spain also.....But I don't know their names.

You could ask and someone would tell you.

I don't know where you are, but I can tell you about a couple of places in Madrid where you might take your pen and see whether they can help you.

Julia Gusano has done some work in a couple of vintage pens I took to her. I don't think she will accept having pens sent by post, but with Julia 90% of the pleasure comes from visiting her workshop in C/ Zurbano and chatting with her about fountain pens. Apart from repairing vintage pens, she also sells them, and has a huge amount of spare pieces.

For newer models, perhaps T&T Reparaciones would be better. I've had a couple of pens repaired by Teo and Toni. I took one to their shop (near the new Metropolitano Stadium), and I sent the other one by post and paid by PayPal, which is very convenient for those of us who don't live in Madrid. And it turned out to be very cheap, even including postage.

One of my favourite shops is Sacristán in C/ Mayor. I took a Parker pen to them, since it had been bought there and was still under warranty, but from what I could see afterwards in the envelope in which they had put the pen, they had sent it to T&T Reparaciones, so this shop might be good if it's closer to your place (being near the Puerta del Sol, it's a very handy place).

I suppose there are more places, but these are those I have dealt with. Apart from that, I've heard lots of praise for fpnibs (from Málaga), but I don't know them personally.

Good luck!

Edited by Cassotto

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

I don't know where you are, but I can tell you about a couple of places in Madrid where you might take your pen and see whether they can help you.

Julia Gusano has done some work in a couple of vintage pens I took to her. I don't think she will accept having pens sent by post, but with Julia 90% of the pleasure comes from visiting her workshop in C/ Zurbano and chatting with her about fountain pens. Apart from repairing vintage pens, she also sells them, and has a huge amount of spare pieces.

For newer models, perhaps T&T Reparaciones would be better. I've had a couple of pens repaired by Teo and Toni. I took one to their shop (near the new Metropolitano Stadium), and I sent the other one by post and paid by PayPal, which is very convenient for those of us who don't live in Madrid. And it turned out to be very cheap, even including postage.

One of my favourite shops is Sacristán in C/ Mayor. I took a Parker pen to them, since it had been bought there and was still under warranty, but from what I could see afterwards in the envelope in which they had put the pen, they had sent it to T&T Reparaciones, so this shop might be good if it's closer to your place (being near the Puerta del Sol, it's a very handy place).

I suppose there are more places, but these are those I have dealt with. Apart from that, I've heard lots of praise for fpnibs (from Málaga), but I don't know them personally.

Good luck!

Thank you, I have tried with Pablo on other occasions, but if the collar is treated I do not know if you can buy loose parts, I have done test placing plumber's tape between the collar and the nib / feeder and going to much less dripping. I think I'll take it to the Pelikan house itself.

• 5 months later...

What happened? Did the OP find a fixer? I have a Pelikan 1000 inbound.

I have a couple of Pelikan 800's that are my most perfect and trouble-free pens. But I also like oversize pens My sane side says "Avoid the Pelikan 1000 which has many posts on the internet by unhappy owners". But a few days ago, my less sane side clicked on a new one for a good price at amazon. It's due in about a week from across the Atlantic. I've got my fingers crossed.

Alan

Missed the nib collar could be cracked.... :doh:...I should have thought of that first, in it is more likely than a new Plastic Gasket 2.0 being damaged.

I had that on an old 140, and a new collar fixed that.

Having a chance to get a 1005 cheap at a live auction did get it, more with the idea of selling it because it was OBB....but found through having more Large pens, than when I tried it some 8 or so years ago at my B&M when I found it Honking Big and Clunky..............not so now.

Don't post it. ;)

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.