Montblanc - 75Th Anniversary Skeleton Price?

mosh_2k7

Hi Everyone!

The time has finally come, where I am ready to purchase my FIRST Skeleton Fountain Pen :)

Ive spent hours up on hours, looking at all the different Skeleton Fountain Pens and I have decided that my FIRST and only Skeleton Fountain Pen, should be something real special that I can admire all the time! The 75th Anniversary Skeleton Fountain Pen, fits the bill perfectly!

Now the question is! What price would I except to pay for one? Used vs New price?

Kind regards

Mohsin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mosh_2k7

• Chrissy

• zaddick

• benbot517

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I don't know what a reasonable price is for one, but on eBay there's one at 29,000 USD and another at 88,000 USD. I wasn't able to find the price of one that had actually sold, so those are just asking prices.

"Oh deer."

It's a very thin market and I am guessing much is private transactions. Most are probably not used. So I am going to make a semi-educated guess of used around $20-25k and new with the fancy box in the $40-50K range.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

There is one here, but I couldn't find the price.

It might be worth sending an email to Montblanc and asking them if they have one, or if they know of one that is available. There might be one in the factory at Hamburg.

Montblanc doesnt have any thats for sure.

A mint condition one with box and papers should run you abou $45,000 give or take. I paid this much for one back in 2007 and prices are only going up. One that was sealed recently went for $65,000 not too long ago.

The one on eBay for $29,000 is badly used and I talked to the owner he doesnt know its history nor does he have box or papers for it, which raised questions about authenticity when a friend of mine considered it.

Montblanc doesnt have any thats for sure.

A mint condition one with box and papers should run you abou $45,000 give or take. I paid this much for one back in 2007 and prices are only going up. One that was sealed recently went for $65,000 not too long ago.

The one on eBay for $29,000 is badly used and I talked to the owner he doesnt know its history nor does he have box or papers for it, which raised questions about authenticity when a friend of mine considered it.

I wondered if it might be worth a try because I purchased a Verne from Hamburg several years after it had been produced and considered as no longer available.

I find it quite hard to believe that someone would pay more than the price of a very nice car for a pen, then not even keep the fabulous box it came in, and it's papers. :o

Thanks for the replies everyone! Chrissy that’s the photos in the link that I can’t stop looking at!

Thanks for the useful info Pravda! I did see the lowest price one on eBay and wondered why it hadn’t been sold!

I found Three that were on sale at Bonhams. One in 16th June 2015 that sold for $37,500 including buyers premium, one on 12 June 2017 with estimate $30,000 to $40,000 that went unsold and one on 4th December 2017 with estimate $25,000 to $30,000 that also went unsold!

Wonder why the last two didn’t sell at Bonhams???

Fi39lBq.png

xstqExk.png

Lfskfzv.png

Did Bonham use the same picture for three different pens or is it the same pen which was relisted?

I have a mint 75th Anniversary Skeleton pen with box, (undated) papers and outer package. Will take offers by PM ;) and might deliver it personally to Bolton on the 21st of August - which is between the 2CVGB-National Meeting in Norfolk and the Great Dorset Steamfair. B)

Btw, my pen ist pictured here: http://fountainpen.de/skeleton-anniversary.htm

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

If anyone has a Klee lying around they don't want I'm sure I could pay it off in instalments. If I don't live long enough to pay it off, I could put you down as a beneficiary of my remaining pension.

This is a clear sign I have a problem, isn't it.

Hamburg doesnt have the 75Y Skeleton available for sale anymore. The only one they have is on display at their museum.

Ive used a dealer for several years now, hes based out in Germany and his pieces have turned out to be what he advertised. No nasty surprises and market value.

Late last year I asked if he had this particular piece, he did. Mint condition, with inner and outer box, papers... the works. His asking price was 39,900. So Zaddick and Pravda are spot on with their assessment, $45,000 give or take.

Having said that, I think your choice is superb, Mosh! This is the best looking Skeleton and absolutely gorgeous. Best of luck in your quest.

You might try Bryant at Chatterley Luxuries. He found my 90th & Blue Hour and frequently handles consignments of high end MBs.

Did Bonham use the same picture for three different pens or is it the same pen which was relisted?

I have a mint 75th Anniversary Skeleton pen with box, (undated) papers and outer package. Will take offers by PM ;) and might deliver it personally to Bolton on the 21st of August - which is between the 2CVGB-National Meeting in Norfolk and the Great Dorset Steamfair. B)

Btw, my pen ist pictured here: http://fountainpen.de/skeleton-anniversary.htm

Yes Bonhams used the same picture for 2 different pens. The first pen that sold for $37,500 on 16th June 2015 was numbered 59/75. The pen that didn’t sell on 12th June 2017 and 4th December 2017 was numbered 25/75

I’ll send you PM later on today :)

Hamburg doesnt have the 75Y Skeleton available for sale anymore. The only one they have is on display at their museum.

Ive used a dealer for several years now, hes based out in Germany and his pieces have turned out to be what he advertised. No nasty surprises and market value.

Late last year I asked if he had this particular piece, he did. Mint condition, with inner and outer box, papers... the works. His asking price was 39,900. So Zaddick and Pravda are spot on with their assessment, $45,000 give or take.

Having said that, I think your choice is superb, Mosh! This is the best looking Skeleton and absolutely gorgeous. Best of luck in your quest.

I agree as well :) This is the best looking Skeleton :) Thanks

I helped someone to purchase an unused 75 Skeleton about four years ago with all box and papers at 25.000 Euro.

And I personally don't think it is more than that today.

I absolutely agree with you Axis.

I sold mine almost three years ago at a price closed to 25.000 euros.

Prices are quite stable for that kind of skeleton. Today the demand is not really high on that pen when compared with other "Stars".

So, keep your eyes open and jump at a good opportunity.

I absolutely agree with you Axis.

I sold mine almost three years ago at a price closed to 25.000 euros.

Prices are quite stable for that kind of skeleton. Today the demand is not really high on that pen when compared with other "Stars".

So, keep your eyes open and jump at a good opportunity.

Thanks for this info. I will do that! The one at Bonhams that went unsold twice last year had an estimate of 20,000 to 25,000 euros, the second time it was relisted. So the current price does seem to be around this figure. Edited by mosh_2k7