• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• Driften

• Tom Kellie

• sansenri

Heart stopping nib, great shot. Doesn't seem like the new clear m205 has that design.

That design is just for the special edition 120 models.

• 4 weeks later...

I did not realize but it is now almost a month I am using this pen as a daily writer at work.

I just cannot put it down...

and after this long testing I admit, the nib does have a tad more spring that ordinary m200 nibs.

I have KWZ #5 in it and they seem to be made one for the other :)

I did not realize but it is now almost a month I am using this pen as a daily writer at work.

I just cannot put it down...

and after this long testing I admit, the nib does have a tad more spring that ordinary m200 nibs.

I have KWZ #5 in it and they seem to be made one for the other :)

I agree it does seem to have a tad more spring then my other m200 nibs as well. It's not near as soft as a vintage nib but it's nicer then modern m200 nibs. Mine loves Robert Oster Blue Water Ice.

It's a beautiful pen. Generally I prefer large pens but I find these modern Pelikan reissues very compelling. The nib is also better and springier than the modern M20X but I have just got the new clear 205 and it seems to be as good.

Gistar

If you want a nib that is better, with the same design style of logo, try an old '50s or '60s nib from an old original M120.

The old nibs have more spring in them than the modern ones.

If you want a nib that is better, with the same design style of logo, try an old '50s or '60s nib from an old original M120.

The old nibs have more spring in them than the modern ones.

I think a vintage 50's 400 nib would be a better fit. The new m120 comes with m200/m400 size nib, unlike the 120/140 of the past that use a smaller nib.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you may have found out already, they are not easy to find really mint, and can cost you well beyond $100, as in mint conditions they are really collectibles.

Easier to find them from German sellers obviously.

If you are happy with near mint/excellent you can find them for $70-80, or cheaper in worse conditions.

• 4 months later...

~ A helpful thread with exactly the information I was seeking.

The images from various users of the blue M120 are compelling.

While it's unavailable in the region where I work and live, it might be worth importing.

I especially appreciated the comments from Driften and sansenri about their B nib versions.

Thank you for these nice posts.

Tom K.

Tom, I think you need a Pelikan collection to go along with your MBs. You will need a bigger desk though.

"While it's unavailable in the region where I work and live"

I'd love to hear how available Pelikans are where you live. You seem to be able to find MB very easily... how does Pelikan compare?

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Great inks for the Iconic Blue:

Montblanc Homer Greek Blue

Sailor Sky High

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa

Iroshizuku Kon-peki

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm also one that is utterly baffled by so many people saying that Pelikan steel nibs are springy. All of mine have been nails. The M400 nib is a touch soft, surprisingly. The M600 and M800 I have are both nails as well.

I do love the design on the new 120's nib, though. I just don't like how they lose their luster quickly :(

Tom, I think you need a Pelikan collection to go along with your MBs. You will need a bigger desk though.

"While it's unavailable in the region where I work and live"

I'd love to hear how available Pelikans are where you live. You seem to be able to find MB very easily... how does Pelikan compare?

~ BillH:

Thank you for your encouragement with regard to Pelikan fountain pens.

There are two Pelikan pen on my writing desk:

• 1960s 140 M

• 1950s 400 OF

Both are excellent writers which I enjoy using.

They were imported from Europe using a circuitous route with the kind assistance of former students.

That's also the case with the older Montblancs with which I write.

In order to ensure authenticity, it's best to acquire pre-owned fountain pens from trusted overseas sources.

As to contemporary fountain pens, all have been purchased from Montblanc boutiques in Beijing.

There's no comparable source here of verifiable authenticity for contemporary Pelikan fountain pens.

Were I to someday revisit Hong Kong, that might be feasible.

Pelikan fountain pens are welcome on my writing desk. I'm particularly attracted to the Iconic Blue M120 with a B nib.

Who knows what might transpire in 2019?

To keep up with Rattlesnake Junction, it may be necessary to add a Pelikan to my small flock.

Tom K.

Great inks for the Iconic Blue:

Montblanc Homer Greek Blue

Sailor Sky High

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa

Iroshizuku Kon-peki

~ jmccarty3:

The Sailor and Pelikan inks must be excellent because the other three you've named rank among my favorites.

Montblanc Homer Greek Blue and Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa both rate multiple bottles on my writing desk.

Iroshizuku Kon-peki is a stellar performer in all seasons.

Thank you for this list.

Now, about obtaining an Iconic Blue M120...

Tom K.

Tom, I wish you great fortune in 2019, especially in the procuring of another Pelikan or two. And Rattlesnake Junction has no Pelikans or Mont Blancs so most of mine come from Europe as well, albeit without relying on past students ;) I have been influenced by your writing and photos, as you know, as the multiple 149's on my desk show... and I hope you grow to love your Pelikans as much as I have grown to love the MB's. Happy New Year!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Tom, I wish you great fortune in 2019, especially in the procuring of another Pelikan or two. And Rattlesnake Junction has no Pelikans or Mont Blancs so most of mine come from Europe as well, albeit without relying on past students ;) I have been influenced by your writing and photos, as you know, as the multiple 149's on my desk show... and I hope you grow to love your Pelikans as much as I have grown to love the MB's. Happy New Year!

~ BillH:

Thank you so much!

This evening preliminary informal negotiations have commenced with a well-respected dealer in Germany.

Should anything ever result from that, I'll let you know.

To Theo, a friendly tail wag from Yubi!

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...

27887188768_37055204aa_k.jpg

~ This photo draws me back to this thread every day.

The luminosity and focus bring out the pen's beauty.

It's so nice...especially as nearly every fountain pen on my writing desk is black.

Tom K.

I just got mine last week. I'm a vintage flex junkie but needed a more practical carry pen. I have to say, I knew I'd get the quality build, the balance, the great piston filler, but I wasn't expecting quite such a nice nib. It is NOT a nail at all. I would describe it as soft and springy with a lot of feel. Really love this little blue pen so far.

I do need some Edelstein Topaz though.

I just got mine last week. I'm a vintage flex junkie but needed a more practical carry pen. I have to say, I knew I'd get the quality build, the balance, the great piston filler, but I wasn't expecting quite such a nice nib. It is NOT a nail at all. I would describe it as soft and springy with a lot of feel. Really love this little blue pen so far.

I do need some Edelstein Topaz though.

~ sombrueil:

Thank you for this positive comment.

Yours is an F, isn't it?

If it's ever convenient and comfortable to do so, it would be very nice to see an image of your Iconic Blue M120.

I hope that a bottle of Edelstein Topaz reaches your writing desk in the near future.

Tom K.