National Security 222

shamwari

When my Dad died in the late 1980s among his possessions were a Parker Duofold and the subject of this post, a National Security 222.

fpn_1521664117__ns_pen2.jpg

fpn_1521663626__ns_pen.jpg

fpn_1521664229__ns_nib.jpg

I wasn't quite sure what to make of it as National Security seemed an unlikely name for a pen and as the sac had hardened and perished it was left in a drawer. Fortunately I had avoided the temptation to force the lever filler to move.

fpn_1521664169__ns_marking.jpg

However, I recently had another look at it, and after a bit of searching on the web with DuckDuckGo, I found out that National Security was one of the brand names used by British Carbon Paper to market its pens (the other being Rosemary). British Carbon Paper did not have their own manufacturing facilities and their pens were produced by Conway Stewart, Henry Stark, Son & Hamilton, Valentine at Newhaven and possibly Langs. British Carbon Papers first started selling pens in the 1920s.

fpn_1521664368__ns_cap.jpg

My Dad's pen has 'S&L' impressed on the end of the cap, for Stewarts & Lloyd, he worked for Stewarts & Lloyd of both Rhodesia and Nyasaland, having emigrated to Africa from Britain in the late 1940s / early 1950s.

fpn_1521664404__ns_pen_sac.jpg

I'm currently awaiting a new sac and some shellac to get the pen back into operation. Having extracted the remains of the old sac from the barrel, the pressure bar looks in good shape and the lever moves it without any problems. I'm looking forward to my first use of this pen.

Any further information will be gratefully received.

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamwari

• northlodge

• peterg

Most of the large National Security pens were made by Lang's, and that is definitely one of them. They are unpretentious quality pens which I would date from the mid 1930's through to the early 1950's.

I'm sure that Paul can give you chapter and verse!

Peter is of course spot on.

"were produced by Conway Stewart, Henry Stark, Son & Hamilton, Valentine at Newhaven and possibly Langs."

BCP may have purchase "unwanted stock" from any available source early on, although I have yet to see something that can definitely be attributed to Conway Stewart (despite the eagerness of ebay sellers to make this link).

The 1920's button fillers were likely to have been made by Henry Stark and Son & Hamilton, who I understand shared a geographical location with BCP.

From the late 20's through until WW2 it is likely that most, if not all were supplied by Lang. It is possible to compare the various NS models with a model from the Summit range. (Summit & Lang were sister companies).

Further to my earlier post, here is an unusual National Security Combi- pen, which I think would date from 1928-30 (I am happy to be corrected on this). I am of the view that this one was made by Wyvern (or possibly DLR), rather than Lang.

It would be possible to put together a very interesting collection of NS pens!

40090467125_2a2b606a63.jpg

40274677584_db37d3dc2c_c.jpg

40983710171_082c971fea_o.jpg

Thanks for the information, Northlodge. My understanding of the Conway Stewart connection came from a few posts seen on various pen blogs as did the connection to Valentine at Newhaven.

Any thoughts as to who might have produced my 222 and when?

I've seen a comment to a post on the Goodwriterspes blog about a Savoy with an arrow style clip where the commenter said they had the remains of a 222 with a similar clip so I'm wondering if it spanned a number of years and detail changes.

A Google book search turned up a hit for the NS 222 in a British Government volume of Statutory Instruments published in 1946 - it is included in a list of pens in the catchily titled "Fountain Pens (Maximum Prices) Citation Order 1945" so they must have been on sale around then.

The new sac for my 222 came during the week so I'm currently waiting on the shellac to dry and looking forward to getting my pen back together.

Edited by shamwari

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard

That combi pen is very interesting, and great seeing the National Security case with it, I wonder how many cases still survive. Lovely colours to the pen.

Edited by shamwari

As Peter said your 222 would have been made in Liverpool by Lang. Goodwriters would know that her Savoy is from the same manufacturer.

The arrow clip you mention is seen on a range of Lang products including some of the Stephens leverfill pens, plus the Eversharp Kingswood's and the KopyKleen models - which were also made by other manufactiureres I believe..

Oops, my apologies Peter, your response about Lang temporarily slipped my mind.

I'm guessing my pen is late 40s but any idea how long the 222 was available and when it was first introduced?

That level of detail is beyond me other than they were typical of the pens produced during the mid '30's. Post war Lang's reequipped to manufacture pens from plastic and they were phased out, I would guess from 1947 - 9, but no guarantees.

The combipen of northlodge's could also be an Altura from the section, cap and clip. Altura was one of the larger jobbing manufacturers, selling most of their pens to third parties

British Carbon Paper was notorious for unapproved selling. Most of the producers were part of a cartel (The Stationers Society) who tried to maintain retail price maintenance and manufacturers could only sell through whole sellers (or their own outlets). BCP bought up supplies from distressed sellers and sold direct to stationers (and the public?). The earliest reference to their activities is in 1922 .

The perceived links to Conway Stewart, Henry Stark, Son & Hamilton, Valentine at Newhaven and possibly Langs are:

Conway Stewart produced pens for third parties (which are identifiable as CS) often using a lever embossed with three or four leafs/ propellers. A lot of the Rosemary pens also use this lever, but it was also used by Lang's (and others?).

Henry Stark, Son & Hamilton had the same address as BCP and disappeared shortly after 1919. It is quite likely that BCP bought up the company and remaining stocks when they ceased trading. The name was resurrected during WW2, gaining approval to manufacture pens that were clearly produced by Lang's. Possibly a ruse to increase Ministry of Trade production quotas as both NS and Stark gained approval for one pen.

Valentine's also got into trouble with direct selling. As a company the never gained enough market share to match their capacity. They would sell relatively small batches to anyone who would buy from them, so may well have sold pens to BCP.

Lang's had a relationship with BCP by the late 1930's and probably before. There are questions over the Rosemary's but certainly most if not all their standard pens were produced by Lang's until production ceased during/ after? WW2.

Edited by peterg

Thanks, Peter, for the further information, it's good to know some more background to this pen. BCP seems to have been a rather strange company, it certainly used some strange brand names!

I'm guessing the pen is probably mid to late 40s given that my Dad emigrated to Africa late 40s/early 50s and the pen has the company initials on it, although who knows how long it may have sat around the S&L offices before my Dad got it.

I'm glad to say it is now writing again. The picture below shows the section cleaned up with all traces of the old sac removed and the new sac alongside, still to be cut to length.

fpn_1522008397__ns_rebuild.png

The new sac has now been installed, the shellac allowed to dry for an hour or so, and the sac dusted with french chalk prior to the reassembly of the pen.

fpn_1522008435__ns_pen_new_sac_1.png

Finally back together again, and writing for the first time in at least 40 years, if not longer.

fpn_1522008498__ns_pen_new_sac.png