The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Maintenance Tips For Ef And Uef Nibs?

ef uef nib maintenance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prodo123

prodo123

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:15

Hi,

I write in English, Korean, Japanese and math, so I've always used Japanese EF nibs (Pilot and Platinum). These nibs being so fine, I've found them also prone to inconsistent flow and gunk that happen to get stuck between the tines. Most of the time flushing the pen in warm water fixes it, but sometimes that's not enough.

Of course I turn to the all-knowing Google, but most advices I find (in English, at least) seem to be for much thicker tips. Pressing down on the nib to spread the tines apart sounds like kinda stupid to begin with, and it doesn't work with these EF tips because the nib bends before the tines spread, etc.

So I turn to here and seek your wisdom  :D how would you fix inconsistent flow for tips so fine that you can't see the gap when you hold it up to a light?

(no puns intended in this entire post!)

Sponsored Content

#2 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2018 - 14:09

Do you floss the tines with brass sheets like these?

https://www.gouletpe...eets/p/GP-10012

With EF's and UEF's you want to have finesse, but this always works for me.

#3 siamackz

siamackz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2018 - 00:25

Flossing will get the gunk out.

To increase flow, the only way I know is to increase tine spread. It must be done safely. I remove the nib, hold it by the shoulders, keep it at an angle parallel to my table (Not 45-degree pointing downwards as that will bend the nib) and then I apply pressure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ef, uef, nib, maintenance

Sponsored Content

|