"ride A White Swan"

So sang Marc Bolan an age ago.

I doubt however, that he had this one in mind. As usual, Mabie Todd's numbering man was either asleep at the switch or off on one of his adventures when this one went through the production line. The material is called "alabaster" and given the number 74, therefore the pen is a 3174.

A rare bird indeed I believe. Apart from the one Firebreakline occasionally lists on ebay at a very steep price, this is the only one I can recall seeing.

fpn_1521478683__3174.jpg

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cob

• chunya

• bmillicent

• the_gasman

:)

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

When I took it apart, it shouted "I AM a Swan!"

C.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Ride a white Swan...

I go past his tree occasionally. It still has flowers & ribbons wrapped around it.

Edited by peterg

• 4 weeks later...

Nice pen! Another big T Rex fan here. Trivia for you - his girlfriend, Gloria Jones, was the original recording artist for "Tainted Love" Soft Cell was covering her song.

I thought someone would notice my avatar . . .

Had to settle for a couple of the other white swans (ASA) - one is inked in pink and the other in purple. Would love to add the M-T to my flock :) I bet they would get on nicely since India was once British. For ink colour, maybe a Ford blue?

< darn y'all, making me want yet another pretty pen >

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

• 2 months later...

I noticed the avatar and suddenly stopped when it say Da..da..daaaa!! :lol:

By the way about the white Swan ride, it is a great pleasure and what is the difference between Blackbird Swan and all Mabies can call them as black birds?? I am confused .. :unsure:

By the way about the white Swan ride, it is a great pleasure and what is the difference between Blackbird Swan and all Mabies can call them as black birds?? I am confused .. :unsure:

Here is a great review

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/296062-mabie-todd-birds/

Mabie Todd began in the fountain pen era with The Swan Pen. Later the Blackbird (and Swallow in the US) was introduced as a cheaper range, subsequently the Jackdaw, a sort of decent school pen. There was even a Starling and one or two others such as Merle Blanc and Kiwi, sold in foreign markets.

Cob

What a shame, why for such a small sum?

EBay - that's the way it goes sometimes - I have seen a 3160 fetch over £200 from one of what I call "the gilded sellers" It's luck and happenstance really.

Cob

That's a shame.

Wonder if it's the colour? Despite the rarity, white pens may not be popular?

Some years ago, I had a white MB Noblesse - not very common. I expected it to go for more than other pens I was selling, at the time, due to the rarity of the colour. It garnered very little interest and sold for less than the other variants I was selling.

As you say; happenstance!

Regards, CS

Mabie Todd began in the fountain pen era with The Swan Pen. Later the Blackbird (and Swallow in the US) was introduced as a cheaper range, subsequently the Jackdaw, a sort of decent school pen. There was even a Starling and one or two others such as Merle Blanc and Kiwi, sold in foreign markets.

Cob

Thank you, Cob,

I already have all three pens. Mabie Swan, Mabie Blackbird. and a Jackdaw (which needs a bladder) seems to be a Hard rubber. They are very nice pens and have italic type nibs. They all have some flex capability to writing. Thank you for your answer.

EBay - that's the way it goes sometimes - I have seen a 3160 fetch over £200 from one of what I call "the gilded sellers" It's luck and happenstance really.

Cob

I've all but given up putting things up for auction on Ebay and list almost entirely with a BIN price, and priced at what I think to be very fair. I don't list that many, I suppose, but half probably get snapped up in a few days, and if the rest take 6 months or more then that's OK with me.