Lamy Specs Vol 1

AidenMark

In case it has passed you by, Lamy has introduced a magazine 'Specs' online and in print.

There is an interesting interview with Jasper Morrison about the Aion in volume 1.

(English edition)

(German edition)

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• ParkerDuofold

• Astronymus

• AidenMark

Hi Aiden, et al,

Is this a free publication? :unsure:

I provided my name and address for a print version and hit submit... and it came back that my order was successful... but I never gave any payment info. :huh:

- Anthony

Maybe they have some bugs to work out. The English link takes me to a kirby programming error library, hundreds of pages of HTML esoterica.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

It’s not just an error message; its actually the developer console for the site. Presumably any random person can use it to alter or deface the site.

I just sent an email to the address on the "About" page to let them know.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Hi Aiden, et al,

Is this a free publication? :unsure:

I provided my name and address for a print version and hit submit... and it came back that my order was successful... but I never gave any payment info. :huh:

- Anthony

Same here. No payment information anywhere. I guess it's for free. In the end it's just ads. ;)

Update: I got an email reply from Lamy. They said they will fix the problem with the English edition as soon as possible.

@Anthony I assume it's free - at least for now. Not sure what the 'Amount/Anzahl' means. The number of copies?

It appears to be a 'lifestyle' magazine relevant to Lamy, mainly for their stores. Over here, Leica cameras have a similar magazine which you can get in the Leica store but it has also made it to the newsagents where it is no longer free.

I ordered the print version. Let's see if something turns up in the post.

@Bogiesan @Errant the English link worked for me just now. Maybe they fixed it.

Edited by AidenMark

The English link is also working for me right now.

Does anyone feel that magazine is rather reminiscent of IKEA catalogues? I'm reading the piece about Jasper Morrison and it rather reminded me of those sections in IKEA catalogues where they profile a designer of one of their furniture lines... :lol:

I also found this part of the Morrison interview interesting:

As a long-term Lamy fan (I got my first Lamy when I was fourteen), I have good memories of some of the early designs. My absolute favourite was probably a transparent fountain pen with a screw fill mechanism in transparent orange, with some other internal parts in grey, I think. It’s extremely technical appearance was beautiful and it uniquely embodied my idea at the time of what a pen should be.

Anyone know what that pen might be? The way it was described makes me picture an orange Vista with a color-matched converter, but I wonder if it might be something else.

@Anthony I assume it's free - at least for now. Not sure what the 'Amount/Anzahl' means. The number of copies?

Indeed. You can order up to 3 copies.

Thanks!

I'm really excited about Lamy creating a completely different way of making pens desirable - by emphasizing creativity, user friendliness, and engineering. It seems that all other companies market pens as nostalgic status symbols.

Talking about engineering, will Lamy fix the rotating cap problem?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Same here. No payment information anywhere. I guess it's for free. In the end it's just ads. ;)

This is true, Astron. :)

It appears to be a 'lifestyle' magazine relevant to Lamy, mainly for their stores. Over here, Leica cameras have a similar magazine which you can get in the Leica store but it has also made it to the newsagents where it is no longer free.

I ordered the print version. Let's see if something turns up in the post.

Hi Aiden,

Yes. Me too.

When and if I get it... probably between the eyes... I'll let you guys know.

Actually, I do believe I will get it... I like the direction Lamy and this new distributor are going lately... they're paying a lot more attention to sales and marketing... without that... a company will quickly wither and die.

I just wish they'd put a little more attention into QC.

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

Some of the most masterful marketing BS I've ever seen!

If nothing else, it's a better read than Pen World magazine.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

The "guest book" function is amusing, but hard to do with a touch screen (think "Etch a Sketch" only without the knobs to get curves and diagonal lines, or finger painting but with only a little bit of paint on the center of your finger).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Specs magazine is an interesting approach to writing instruments: design and drawing not only writing .I like it.

My thanks for the tip,and the link. Great reading and writing. Hope they continue to publish. So many well-intentioned puff pieces like this only last a few issues.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Look what arrived in the letterbox.

fpn_1521791176__img_7955.png

I wish they would get better translators. This is the same awkward English copy you find on the website. Most of the time it is ok, but it just never quite makes it to native English speaker levels. No doubt someone will criticize me, but how hard it is to hire a native English speaker to make the prose smoother? If they are serious about selling in English speaking markets, they should be serious about advertising language that flows. No doubt some people thinks it's cute and quirky, to me it says they don't care enough about English speakers to really make sure the language is right.

• 2 weeks later...

My print copy arrived today in Mumbai from Germany. The address was written by hand instead of a printed label. Nice touch. Nice format.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.