Nos Osmiroid / Esterbrook Gp Mari 3 Smooth Stub Nib Pif

MercianScribe

I love Osmiroid! (Next couple of paragraphs are a copy of the sketch pen nib PIF...!) To those that don't know it, it was a longstanding cheap English calligraphy brand, whose niche was easily changeable nibs. They also did a number of very good everyday writing nibs, and a couple of specialities and oddities, like Music nibs (they had a couple of different ones - their three tined one is one of my favourite writers), Copperplate nibs (good but sharp!), and Sketch nibs.

Please note, this is not a pen, only the nib. To be honest, I probably have a couple of the pens I don't need but I haven't got time to sort them out! I suppose if you're really desperate (or have a really good cause) you could mail me a plea and I'll see what I can do...

Osmiroid pens can be obtained easily and cheaply from eBay, and these are the old style screw-in nibs that also fit Esterbrooks and various other brands too, so you should be able to pick something up which you can use it with without too much difficulty.

This PIF is for one Mari 3 Stub Nib. It's a medium (fine side), buttery smooth and a little soft, and keeps up well. The Mari nibs were designed specially for the Marion Richardson style of upright cursive handwriting (Google it if you're interested, it's quite pretty and simple) taught throughout UK schools from maybe the 50s to the 70s, but you know, it's a cursive stub and suits some styles of cursive italic too, and 'normal/other cursive/non-cursive' - everyday writing basically! I think they came in sizes 2, 3 and 4. This one is a NOS from the packet (you won't receive the packet I'm afraid), so you'll need to treat it like a new nib and give it a wash with warm soapy water, then a good rinse.

I may put up some pic of a writing sample...

I'll choose the winner on the 25th of March, 11pm JST, at random, unless anyone's particularly persuasive!

If the winner wants to PayPal me $5 for worldwide shipping, that would be appreciated, but by no means is it required.

post-132145-0-41272800-1521428652_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• MercianScribe

• holgalee

• dragorsi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, nice nice writing and nib! And nice of you doing this! :)

"Music..Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate." - Arnold Bennett

Instagram // my inks

Wow that looks cool. I'll be delighted if I win as I have just ordered an Esterbrook pen from ebay. Thanks so much for your generosity. If I do win, I'll do a PIF too! :D

The samples writing looks great!

Really...? thank you... but surely you mean as in the nib, I trust? The writing was literally five seconds' scribble!

Anyway, just popped back on to this thread to say these old screw-type nibs fit Esterbrook J series and the 'dollar pens'.

Edited by MercianScribe

Hi, I'm Mat

Really...? thank you... but surely you mean as in the nib, I trust? The writing was literally five seconds' scribble!

Anyway, just popped back on to this thread to say these old screw-type nibs fit Esterbrook J series and the 'dollar pens'.

yes, they look good, considering... I Imagine writing like that in a hurry to take notes, the writing would look nice..

I specially iike the Osmiroid "s" , the "3" and all the other letters in the first line... The way they are slanted and I assumed they were done in a hurry to begin with ... I suppose that with more intention, the words would come out much, much better... and I already have one Estebrook J with a 2556 nib

Have had it for 1-2 years. Love to sketch and write with it, black ink.

Edited by Lamyrada

The old ones: pre-1980.

Any of them marked Osmiroid 65 or Osmiroid 75, basically.

The post-1980 models have exchangeable sections with fitted nibs, but with the older ones the nibs unscrewed from the sections.

Hi, I'm Mat

This PIF has been drawn, and the winner was Mitto. Please PM me with your address.

Hi, I'm Mat

• 2 weeks later...

Information Gathering Request:

I am curious about the nib..... is it an oblique? It is my understanding that Esterbrook branded nibs that are "wide" are all oblique, so I have chosen to not buy one. Years ago, I was given a Mont Blanc by the Mother of my best friend. I had a horrible time of it and later I found out that it is probably because the nib is oblique (slanted). Now that I know more, I may go back and give it another go, but, I have avoided Esterbrook wide/italic nibs because they are oblique.

So, I am curious about this particular nib. I might go looking for one if it is not oblique. It had not occurred to me to check out non Esterbrook branded nibs.

Information Gathering Request:

I am curious about the nib..... is it an oblique? It is my understanding that Esterbrook branded nibs that are "wide" are all oblique, so I have chosen to not buy one. Years ago, I was given a Mont Blanc by the Mother of my best friend. I had a horrible time of it and later I found out that it is probably because the nib is oblique (slanted). Now that I know more, I may go back and give it another go, but, I have avoided Esterbrook wide/italic nibs because they are oblique.

So, I am curious about this particular nib. I might go looking for one if it is not oblique. It had not occurred to me to check out non Esterbrook branded nibs.

No, Pitonyak. It isn't an oblique nib. It, rather, is a stub. I haven't tested it as yet but it looks good.

Khan M. Ilyas

MercianScribe, which Osmiroid pens accept Esterbrook nibs?

Just stumbled on this thread. I would add (the often overlooked fact) that Burnham B48 pens take Estie / Osmiroid nibs, and that Burnham also produced a range of nibs that fit Esties, etc (their B45 / B48 range).

Burnhma B48 pens are full size, well made, and often very attractive colouring.

No, Pitonyak. It isn't an oblique nib. It, rather, is a stub. I haven't tested it as yet but it looks good.

Excellent, thanks for the info!