1St Pelikan M800 Or M1000?

Tseg

If one already has a collection of pens with some high quality pens, comprised mostly of Japanese pens... so doesn't actually need any more pens, but is curious about the Pelikan brand, and at this point intends to own just a single Pelikan, would one go straight to the M1000 or downsize to the M800 series? Between my Pilot Custom 823 and my Waterman Carene I'm not particularly motivated to find an(other) amazing pen I can write all day with. I'm really looking for a Pelikan where the community would agree that after using it, I would now understand the essence of the Pelikan brand and its attraction. My instinct says if I can afford the flagship (which can be had for ~$100 more than the M800) might as well experience the pen Pelikan holds in its highest regard. Is this the proper thought process, or would I be making a big mistake if I got the M1000 instead of the M800?

Asked another way, if I bought the M800 would my yearning to still get the M1000 be greater than if I bought the M1000 and the potential yearning that I should get the M800?

Anyone been there/done that in the situation I'm in... and the result?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Tseg

• Matlock

• gmathio

I have both sizes and enjoy both. The nib on the M1000 is very different in feel from the 800, it is softer and feels more brush-like. I don't carry either around in my shirt pocket but the M1000 would be harder to carry that way.

For some reason I'd also consider nib size in your selection process. To me the M1000 just fits a broad nib. Oh, the M800 is available in more color choices, You will certainly enjoy either pen.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

The nibs on the 1000 are nicer in my opinion, not as hard/rigid as the modern 800s. If you're used to Japanese pens, the 800 nib may feel more comfortable. You really can't go wrong though.

If you don't intend to carry the pen about with you I would go for the M1000 every time, it is a large pen. A word of warning though, Pelikans tend to breed. :)

Peter

Thanks for the suggestions... sounds like the needle is leaning towards the M1000. If anything, I'm looking for a pen that requires I go out of my comfort zone to use. It keeps the 'hobby' fresh.

Yes you might as well go with the 1000. You'll want it eventually anyway.

I found the M1000 a bit hard to use. Amazing semi flex nib, though. M800 is perfect for me and pretty much exact dimensions as Pilot Custom 823. Stiff nibs, if youre into flex, M800 nibs will disappoint.

The 1000 is a Huge pen....as big and heavier than the 149. It is a semi-flex 18 K nib so you need a light hand....or you could bend it and it will stay bent. The older 400's 14 K semi-flex nibs are much more robust.

It will write 'fat' because it is semi-flex....not because the nib is wide.....those coming over from Nail/Manifold nibs often have heavy hands........and tend to max a semi-flex nib too often.

When I came over to semi-flex with a 140 OB, it took me some three months to lighten my Hand so I wasn't maxing the nib to it's 3X limit so often.

It would be best to test it in a pen shop or a pen show first.

The 800 is a Large pen, and is a nail nib. No fear of nib bending.

The only 800 I'd even thinking of owning is a springy regular flex W. Germany one.................but I grew up with standard and medium large pens, and because of that it takes me quite a while to get use to the clunky thing.

But if you are use to Large pens......go for it.

The 1000 and the 800 have their own nib sizes and won't take the others.

I like the 600 much more in it is light and nimble...very well balanced when posted, and there are so many beautiful ones...... It is a semi-nail, .and come the day ...you could put a '50-65 semi-flex on it. I had a '54 semi-flex B :puddle: on my 605 for a long time before I got the semi-nail BB stubbed to a 1.0.

A 600 will take the modern, semi-vintage and vintage 400 gold nibs or the cheaper steel 200's regular flex nibs which are just as good as the semi-vintage gold nibs.

So you can afford many more nibs for it....and have more fun.

For oblique nibs, only those of the '50-65 ear are worth buying, because they are stubbed semi-flex....like all of that era. A medium-long 400NN would be a later buy. Posted it has great balance. It holds more ink than the 1000 or the 800/600/400/200. Look for a tortoise...

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have Pelikans from 200 to 1000 size. More M800's than any other size. The nib on the M1000 was always too wet and hard to use for me before I had Mike Masuyama work it over. The M800 is the perfect size for me to use and to carry in my pocket. The M1000 will never get as much use as my M800's but I did eventually have to have one. There is also very little choice in colors for the M1000 so I ended up getting Green stripe and having Shawn Newton replace the binde with something more interesting.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have both and rarely use the M1000 and almost always have an M800 inked (I have a few). The M1000 nib is a pain to use, far too wet for practical writing and mushy in an unpleasant way. The M800 is a great pen.

I had a M1000 and found it to be not very practical for everyday use: too large for a shirt pocket and too wet for most inks. Finally traded the pen for a M800.

M1000s write wet, and you'll probably find that you'll want to adjust the nib a bit for a drier line. I had to tweak both of my m1000s in this regard. The soft nib requires a light hand, but I find the size very comfortable and they are very pleasant to write with. I have one in EF that writes true to its size designation with just a hint of muted feedback (again, the soft nib), and a M that writes like a B... Maybe a B+, but is gloriously smooth (after I cured it of baby's bottom).

M800s are a very firm nib - it's accurate to call the current ones "nails." For work, that's just fine - I don't want flexy nibs around the office, but other views may differ. I actually don't find the size difference between the m800 and the m1000 to be that great. However, I've taken to writing un-posted. I find it easy to use the m1000 and the m800 for long writing sessions without issue. I have m800s in every size from EF up to B, and an italic B. The EF is sized appropriately to its designation, but the fines are certainly closer to mediums than fines, the mediums could probably be fairly called a broad, and my broad is probably closer to a BB than a regular B. Not that any of that sizing bothers me in practice, just know to plan accordingly that more often than not, Pelikan nibs run wide.

The size of the m1000 nib can take some getting used to - you may adopt a lower writing angle to better accommodate the nib, and it can be a pain to fill from small containers.

One poster above called the m1000 brush like, and that's a good description of how you will need to treat the pen to write well. The m800s are more forgiving.

Also, one more word of caution - on every Pelikan pen and nib I've purchased that is a medium size or larger, they have all had baby's bottom to a minor degree. In all but one instance, a little work and patience, and some of the gentler grit micro mesh pads cleared that all right up. Still, 7/10 pens and individual nibs had baby's bottom. Pelikan makes some excellent, long lasting pens, but be prepared to tweak the nib or have a nibmeister on call to get it firing on all cylinders.

If I might add a little bit to this discussion, I would recommend that you find someone with the two pens in question or got to a shop to see them both. Get them to let you test each one and then make your decision after you've tried them out. I have a couple 800 size pens with different nibs and one 1000's they both have nice characteristics, but I much prefer the M800 but then again, I'm a short 5'2" female and although my hands have significant strength and dexterity, after a period of writing with the 1000 my hands a pretty sore. I think this and the fact that it doesn't transport easily is why it gets a lot less use. I guess that's why and how I ended up with at least 3 or four of the 800's including a Toledo (love that puppy). But in reality, I'm also very comfortable with the M300's too.

I'd say it is always a good idea to experience the size first! Will save you a little headache or heartache!

Just my 2 cents!

Fair winds and following seas.

All great comments. It definitely sounds the M800 is the more usable and practical of the two. Still, there is always a Siren call to the M1000. I still debate whether and how much I see value in a soft or bouncy or flex nib. I suppose that is the question I'm having is, " Do I need another hard ​nib?" I suppose that is a similar question to, "Do I need another pen?".

I have both and rarely use the M1000 and almost always have an M800 inked (I have a few). The M1000 nib is a pain to use, far too wet for practical writing and mushy in an unpleasant way. The M800 is a great pen.

Is semi-flex....but if you have no experience with semi-flex....and are heavy handed....mushy could be a term used.

I tested the 1000 and it is semi-flex and not the least bit mushy.

If you use wet inks.....then a semi-flex will be even wetter than the normal wet writing Pelikan nibs.....Pelikan makes dry inks with the 4001, so makes a wet nib to balance that.

Semi-flex due to ease of tine spread, will make for a wetter writing.

I like shading inks, and regular flex in M or F do well......semi-flex has to match ink and paper to do well....but does have more line variation.

The 1000 is a Huge Pen..........that you need a light Hand for...........if you do not have experience with even regular flex of a 200 or a semi-vintage '82-97....coming in from nail, will be a shock. The tines will Bend :yikes:, they will Spread!!! :o

If you 'ride the clutch' with your writing, you might think it's mushy..........it's not.

Semi-flex is not for 'fancy writing', it adds that old fashioned fountain pen flair.

....If you have a calligraphy book, certain decenders can be worked into your writing, and a few strokes of this or that letter. It is not a maxi-semi-flex nor a superflex, so one can not expect that fancy writing from semi-flex.

Though many see semi-FLEX and try to make the nib do things it's not designed to do.

I think you would be happier with an Large 800 than an Oversized 1000......

.....but I like a medium large light and nimble 600 much more. A tad more girth than a Standard 400. Not as thick as a 800. Not back weighted like a 800 or 1000.

Look up not only the regular beautiful 600's but the old City series.............so many beautiful 600's a real writing pen................as someone said, the 1000 is a big stay at home pen. I do find the 800 clunky.........but again, I grew up in a time where someone might have to write all day with a fountain pen not just take notes or sign something with a fancy signature pen....rather than ball point.

So balance was of upmost importance of the pen manufactures.

And the 600 gives you a world of nib options...many more affordable. Normal, semi-nail, to start with, regular flex of the semi-vintage 400 or the 200's and stubbed semi-flex of the '50-65 era :notworthy1: :puddle: .

.....the 800 and the 1000 pens are limited to only their own nibs, not each others.

If it's status, then the City 600's used sometimes cost more than an 800, or a on sale 1000. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've got my first M805 today and I must say it's a wonderful pen. It's the right size for me uncapped, the weight is ideal and it feels amazing. Got it with an "F" nib, and it writes so smoothly! Had also a look at the M1000, to see how it feels, but it's too big for the everyday use I want it. If it sits on a desk, maybe it's a good buy, but I find the M800/805 size ideal.

I own both m800 and m1000, and they write completely very different. M200 writes different too. I am not sure about m400/600. And I don't know what the 'essence' of the Pelikan brand is. If I may, m800 and m1000 are not what Pelikan is. They are Pelikans, no doubt.

I have a feeling that the 'essence' you are looking for might lie in the m200/400/600 series. The 'tradition' of Pelikans, I believe, are not in super big pens (m1000) or super firm nibs (m800).

That said, they are all super smooth and well-made pens.

Edited by minddance

Personally, Id say the essence of Pelikan is probably the M400 tortoise (but I prefer the M800 anyway).

Edited by invisuu

Pelikan Souverans deliver very different writing experiences. 14k gold nibs (on M400 and M600) feel springier and harder than 18k gold nibs (on M800) which are softer but with less line variation. Noe, I have not tried M1000 but it is said and I saw there is despite 18k nib and due to big nib and its long tines a lot of springiness and softness.

To get idea about Pelikans you ought to try M400 or M600 and M800 and M1000.

Bare in mind that M1000 looks ridiculously huge.

Then what era of the 400's....50-65 semi-flex?

'82-97 regular flex?

'98 to now semi-nail?....which I don't care for....but is 'butter smooth' if that's all you want in a nib.

The 200/400/600 have great balance posted....are too short unposted....but were made to be posted.

The medium-small 140 has like all the medium short pens that were so IN in the '50's....Kaweco Dia, Geha 760 all have longer caps so post as long as a standard pen. Very, very good balance of course.

I have two 140's....a very nice pen. (Absolutely the best for modern shorter than vintage shirt pockets..... :P) Yep, once the standard shirt pocket was deeper than many of the money saving modern ones. :(

Having set your mind to wanting a Big pen.....it's something for much later, when your mind is not as set as it is.

The 400n, which I don't have has a longer cap than the 400's so it was as long posted as it's successor the medium long 400nn....which has a 'normal' sized 400 cap length.

It took me two years to figure out that the medium-long 400nn had a slight tad better balance than the standard sized 400.