Pilot Blue Black In Mb Piston Fillers

adyf

Anyone use pilot blue black in their 146's or 149's with any noticeable negative effect?

I would have liked to purchase the MB Midnight Blue, but I'm not keen on the appearance of the new formula.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adyf

• Chrissy

• Kalessin

• dcwaites

As it isn't an iron-gall ink, and looking at various reviews around FPN, I don't think there'd be a problem using Pilot blue-black.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Pilot Blue, Black and Blue-Black inks are, as far as I understand it, simply permanent dye-based inks. No pigment, no iron-gall, no cellulose-reactive components.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

As it isn't an iron-gall ink, and looking at various reviews around FPN, I don't think there'd be a problem using Pilot blue-black.

Pilot Blue, Black and Blue-Black inks are, as far as I understand it, simply permanent dye-based inks. No pigment, no iron-gall, no cellulose-reactive components.

Thanks for your input.

Dye-based inks, yes. But alkaline. In general, Japanese inks tend to be alkaline and if so, contraindicated for celluloid pens. Whether the Montblanc pens in question are made of celluloid or some kind of resin I have no idea. Some piston-filling pens do have celluloid barrels, such as my Aurora 88P.

I only use Montblanc inks in my Montblanc piston fillers.

If only the original MB Blue Black was available.

Montblanc make permanent Blue and permanent Black... Maybe mix up your own? Or try Montblanc Midnight Blue or Pelikan Blue Black? Might be less alkaline than Pilot.

If only the original MB Blue Black was available.

I have several spare bottles available from my stash of the original blue black, which immediately preceded the midnight blue. Feel free to contact me at the email address in my signature.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Montblanc make permanent Blue and permanent Black... Maybe mix up your own? Or try Montblanc Midnight Blue or Pelikan Blue Black? Might be less alkaline than Pilot.

I wished I’d asked the question before I’d ordered a small and large bottle of Pilot Blue Black. I’d read a lot of reviews first, about how well behaved and how easy to flush it is. I’m a bit surprised about the cautious approach on this thread. I guess I overlooked the potential alkaline issue.

I have several spare bottles available from my stash of the original blue black, which immediately preceded the midnight blue. Feel free to contact me at the email address in my signature.

Many thanks for the offer Hari, I’m afraid I might get hooked on it. :-)

I wished I’d asked the question before I’d ordered a small and large bottle of Pilot Blue Black. I’d read a lot of reviews first, about how well behaved and how easy to flush it is. I’m a bit surprised about the cautious approach on this thread. I guess I overlooked the potential alkaline issue.

Personally, I would never hesitate to put Pilot's inks in any pen. I read always that Japanese inks are alkaline, but I have mixed them with reportedly acidic inks, and no reaction happened (as test in a glass jar, to see whether any of my inks would react with each other, so I'd know how diligently I need to clean a pen after and before certain inks).

Can't speak on celluloid, but MB makes resin pens, the 146 & 149 you mention specifically are as far as I know resin, and these will be safe. I have also never had staining issues with Pilot Blue, Blue Black or Black, though different plastics react differently. E.g. Yama Dori has stained some people's Wing Sung see through feeds, but worked well with Pelikans etc that have see through ink windows.

I don't have an MB, but I have put Pilot Blue countless times in my Pelikans and also recently put Pilot Blue Black in a Pelikan, and no issues whatsoever so far. Which leads me to the conclusion that your MBs will also be fine.

For example, MBs permanent Blue has been reported to stain MB ink windows (the newer reformulation? not sure, you can google it and it will lead you to some FPN thread started ca. 1 year ago) and Mandrin Orange also had issues, so a pen manufacturer's ink can be problematic - even in their own pens. There are no guarantees unfortunately, you'll have to take some risks :)

Edited by Olya

I use Pilot blue and blue/black in my MB146 and Heritage with no ill effects. I understand its an akaline ink, but only a mild alkaline. Modern pens are pretty much immune. Pelikan, Platinum Celluloid, Lamy 2000, Aurora and others seem just fine with Pilot inks.