Help With Dialog 3 Refilling

tytyvyllus

After having owned the Dialog 1, Dialog 2, 3 Lamy2000s and too many Safari & AlStars, my eye wandered to the Dialog 3 and I bought it on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Decided to just use the included cartridge and found a pen that I enjoy writing with.

Enjoyed writing so much that I wrote out the cartridge and was going to use the converter and some Birmingham Pen Co. ink.

Looking at the pieces I can't really see how to fill with the converter in place and I'm not keen on taking the converter out each time.

Have I reached an impasse with the pen or do I just need to accept that its going to be a cartridge user.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be nice or any nice thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

-K

Most men live lives of quiet desperation.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tytyvyllus

• prashant.tikekar

• dapprman

• mannschott

Top Posters In This Topic

The inner nib section is completely removable. Hold the frame just below the cart and twist anti clockwise, as if opening the nib, it will unscrew, at which point you can just dip the nib in your ink and use the converter as per normal. I've found it will fill from low levels as I was able to empty the last ink in the bottom of the bulb of a Lamy ink bottle with mine.

One thing of note - if you carry it around in such a way as it will get lots of motion (such as attached to a small pad or a Midori Traveller Passport (my case) in a pocket) then the nib section can unscrew slightly - you discover this when you open the pen and it's misaligned. All you do is remove the back section and re-tighten the nib section as if putting it back after filling.

I'm not sure what the issue is from your description, but perhaps you are not aware that the 'core' of the pen can be unscrewed from its shell-like body. The core, which includes the nib with the converter attached can be filled in an ink bottle as you would any other pen with converter.

The video below is probably clearer than my explanation. The filling begins at 2 minutes and 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/fdy5UJsL7GA?t=2m10s

If you decide to refill the cartridge using a syringe, you just have to remove it (the cartridge) and fill from the pierced mouth inserting the syringe needle.

I didn’t realize the inner core came out and didn’t want to force and possible break the pen. Thanks to all who have replied

-k

Most men live lives of quiet desperation.